Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The deal breaker...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S Range estimates are likely based on the unadjusted combined EPA cycle (same pre-2008 2-cycle city/highway test that gives the Roadster the 245 mile combined rating).

For range and efficiency numbers on the sticker of the Leaf and Volt, the EPA uses the "derived 5-cycle adjustment" to stand-in for the 5-cycle tests that most 2008+ cars go through. All this does is take the 2-cycle test results and take off 30%. From the Leaf FOIA request: http://www.smidgeindustriesltd.com/leaf/EPA/

If you do the same to the Model S, unadjusted combined rating is in quotes, derived 5-cycle (basically multiply unadjusted by .7) not in quotes. You can judge from your and other's Roadster/Leaf/Volt "real world" max range at highway speeds (70mph or whatever), which number is closer.

Model S:
112 (160)
161 (230)
210 (300)
That would mean the Model S would use 267Wh/KM! That's a lot. My guess it will be somewhere around 210 ~ 220Wh.

I was at the preview of the car in Portland. Loved the looks but I was just surprised how big, especially how wide it is. I know it's trying to "compete" with 5 series Bimmer, but it is much bigger. I hate to say it, because I've had a deposit since the first day they were accepting them, but after seeing the size of the car, I'm thinking of not getting it. Did any one else whose seen the car have this impression that it's really a large car. More like a S series Mercedes, A8, or 7 series BMW.

I agree. I saw the Model S in Boston recently and was glad I got a Roadster instead of waiting. It was a beautiful car but too big for me and I probably won't get one now.

I agree. Just saw the Model S in Seattle. The size is the biggest negative. I would prefer something slightly less huge.

It seemed oversized to me too, but I think part of that was due to it being next to the roadster. Independently, I'm having a hard time coming up with negatives for the Model S. My largest concern is for the EV infrastructure, so probably the charge port is the biggest issue. Already not very happy about having to tote around a 1772 roadster adapter. But what else are you going to do with all the cargo space on the Model S?

I was at the preview of the car in Portland. Loved the looks but I was just surprised how big, especially how wide it is. I know it's trying to "compete" with 5 series Bimmer, but it is much bigger. I hate to say it, because I've had a deposit since the first day they were accepting them, but after seeing the size of the car, I'm thinking of not getting it. Did any one else whose seen the car have this impression that it's really a large car. More like a S series Mercedes, A8, or 7 series BMW.
Yes, as I drive an RX8 and a Dodge Stealth before that, it seemed big. However, before that my first car was a 1979 Trans Am and looking up that car's dimensions it was actually the same size as the expected Model S dimensions. Then for fun, I looked up the size of recent muscle type cars: the Charger is 4 inches longer than the Model S, and the Mustang is 8 inches shorter. So while the Model S is a big car, it shouldn't be something I can't get accustomed to.

My deal breakers

Question, what would be the deal breaker for you and the Model S? or what is the one thing that would make you walk away from the Model S if pricing was not an issue? It would be interesting to read your comments.

As for me... the deal breaker would be Tesla Motors dropping its center touch screen console or a drop in battery range (50 mile or greater across the already stated ranges).

Aside from the fact that price is pushing it for me, I have two possible issues.

1) If insurance rates are too high I might have to back out. I can probably pay for the basic car up front, but can't continue to pay an extra $2k a year for insurance and upkeep.

2) The second big issue is charging infrastructure. Of 15k to 20k miles a year, about 5k miles are on long road trips (i.e., 500 to 800 miles a day). If I can't find charging stations (with two out of three I can find in appropriate locations being rapid charging), my wife won't let me get the car. I don't mind an 8 hour charge overnight, and don't mind an hour to hour and a half at a time out of every 200 miles(for lunch breaks), but can't do 3 1/2 hours every 200 miles. That would almost double travel time.

And no, I won't rent another car or bring my own gas guzzler, because on one trip I'll be spending three to four months at a time in the Palm Springs area. I'd want my Model S with me for local travel there.

The infrastructure from Washington through California for 70A level two stations is already in place, but we need rapid charging stations appropriately placed as well. We also need eastbound rapid charging stations that get us as far as Missouri.

I hope this happens before a final purchasing decision is required by Tesla, or I'll probably have to back out of my purchase and wait a few more years (which I don't want to do). I'm 70 now and don't want to wait too much longer for an electric car.

I agree. There's no way that kind of infrastructure will be in place by then. A Washington state to Florida trip in an EV at this point is possible, but would be an adventure. You'd have to carefully plan your trip and make sure charing sites were available. It wouldn't be a 'get in your car and go' kind of trip.

Where does this $2,000 figure come from?

What do you mean that you "can't continue to pay an extra $2,000 for insurance"?...are you currently paying an extra $2,000 for your current insurance?

No insurance company that I'm aware of could currently give you a rate on a Model S as there is no data available to use to model a vehicle rate group ...I wouldn't expect this data to be available prior to year's end.

Aside from the fact that price is pushing it for me, I have two possible issues.

1) If insurance rates are too high I might have to back out. I can probably pay for the basic car up front, but can't continue to pay an extra $2k a year for insurance and upkeep.

2) The second big issue is charging infrastructure. Of 15k to 20k miles a year, about 5k miles are on long road trips (i.e., 500 to 800 miles a day). If I can't find charging stations (with two out of three I can find in appropriate locations being rapid charging), my wife won't let me get the car. I don't mind an 8 hour charge overnight, and don't mind an hour to hour and a half at a time out of every 200 miles(for lunch breaks), but can't do 3 1/2 hours every 200 miles. That would almost double travel time.

And no, I won't rent another car or bring my own gas guzzler, because on one trip I'll be spending three to four months at a time in the Palm Springs area. I'd want my Model S with me for local travel there.

The infrastructure from Washington through California for 70A level two stations is already in place, but we need rapid charging stations appropriately placed as well. We also need eastbound rapid charging stations that get us as far as Missouri.

I hope this happens before a final purchasing decision is required by Tesla, or I'll probably have to back out of my purchase and wait a few more years (which I don't want to do). I'm 70 now and don't want to wait too much longer for an electric car.

I hope you didn't hand over $40k for a sig model dmckinstry, because I doubt that kind of infrastructure will be in place that fast. The Prius v is coming out in October, maybe it will meet your needs.

No way. Mine is production, and I wouldn't lay $40k out in advance unless I had so much extra money, I couldn't foresee any other use for it in the next 10 years.

I agree. There's no way that kind of infrastructure will be in place by then. A Washington state to Florida trip in an EV at this point is possible, but would be an adventure. You'd have to carefully plan your trip and make sure charing sites were available. It wouldn't be a 'get in your car and go' kind of trip.

For the California trip, it isn't such an issue, I can find all the level II charging stations I would need, it's just that we have a habit of traveling with a minimum of overnight stops. We can make a one day trip to Sacramento to my sister-in-laws in the gas guzzler and another one day trip from Sacramento to the Palm Springs area. With only 70A level II it would require at least an additional two nights in motels along the way. That doesn't bother me, but my wife thinks it's an issue. As for the trip to Missouri, we could use the gas guzzler, but right now there isn't much in the way of even level II charging (except Nissan's 30A) on that route. I wouldn't mind leaving the Model S home alone for three or four weeks, but never for three or four months.

For the California trip, it isn't such an issue, I can find all the level II charging stations I would need, it's just that we have a habit of traveling with a minimum of overnight stops. We can make a one day trip to Sacramento to my sister-in-laws in the gas guzzler and another one day trip from Sacramento to the Palm Springs area. With only 70A level II it would require at least an additional two nights in motels along the way. That doesn't bother me, but my wife thinks it's an issue. As for the trip to Missouri, we could use the gas guzzler, but right now there isn't much in the way of even level II charging (except Nissan's 30A) on that route. I wouldn't mind leaving the Model S home alone for three or four weeks, but never for three or four months.

For 4 months, you could always consider professionally shipping the car. It'd probably cost a lot but you'd have your car. Hopefully a few level III chargers come online along your route at some point.

Where does this $2,000 figure come from?

What do you mean that you "can't continue to pay an extra $2,000 for insurance"?...are you currently paying an extra $2,000 for your current insurance?

No insurance company that I'm aware of could currently give you a rate on a Model S as there is no data available to use to model a vehicle rate group ...I wouldn't expect this data to be available prior to year's end.

Of course there are no quotes yet. I'm currently paying $800 a year for one car. If I have to pay an additional $2k a year, I don't want to do it. I want to wait until I actually have more information until the final commitment.

Probably better to have the car shipped and just fly down.

Not from my point of view. If delivery charges on the Model S is $1500 then I'd have to pay at least $1500 each way. Add in the ticket price for my wife, the two dogs and me. It's probably another $500 each way. Assuming a 160 mile pack, it'd probably be cheaper to full charge at home, travel 120 miles the 1st night, level I charge overnight at a motel for an additional 70 miles, and repeat until reach reaching Sacramento. Of course with the HPC 70A chargers, I could get in an additional 120 miles (or 160 miles in Range mode and careful driving) each day.

I could do it, and it wouldn't bother me that much, but it does seem to bother my wife. We also prefer to drive and see the country to flying. Of course, part of her objection is the price of the car. But as I see it, the quality of the car and supposedly the comfort should make it worth while. I expect it to be my last car purchase.

Of course there are no quotes yet. I'm currently paying $800 a year for one car. If I have to pay an additional $2k a year, I don't want to do it. I want to wait until I actually have more information until the final commitment.

I was paying $800 a year for one car before I bought my Roadster. Adding the Roadster increased the cost by $600. I'd be shocked if the Model S cost more than the Roadster.

I was paying $800 a year for one car before I bought my Roadster. Adding the Roadster increased the cost by $600. I'd be shocked if the Model S cost more than the Roadster.

Then, I'd consider that a non-issue. My only remaining significant issue is charging infrastructure. And personally, I wouldn't care if I could only use level II 70A the first year or two, as long as level III was realistically promised within another year for California trip, and a year after that for Missouri trip. Right now there is little available for traveling east, except Nissan dealerships, and I don't know that they would let Teslas charge there.