Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's reason for not adding spare tires, doesn't make sense.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: rlsd
To do a plug?

That's what I'm talking about. A plug is a minute or two. Taking the wheel off, demounting the tire takes a LOT more time.
Any legitimate tire shop will completely remove the tire from the wheel, cut out a section of foam (looks like window trim insulation foam), rough up the inner surface of the tire around the hole, apply cement, and insert a mushroom shaped patch/plug, pushing it through the hole from the inside out. Tech will use a small roller to press the "mushroom" part to assure total contact, then re-cement the foam that was removed, remount the tire, inflate, and balance.

A plug, done in an emergency, is only pushed through from the outside. You are correct, the tire is NOT dismounted.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
To do a plug?

That's what I'm talking about. A plug is a minute or two. Taking the wheel off, demounting the tire takes a LOT more time.
Tire is removed for a patch. @stopcrazypp was talking about a patch. I did not know tire shops did plugs, that is usually done by DIY in a pinch. No need to remove tire for a plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: stopcrazypp
To do a plug?

I was talking about a patch (or a combo patch/plug). In context, you were talking about "reputable" shops. I know of no reputable shop that does plugs from the outside.

Here's the repair guide for a tire without the foam:
https://www.rematiptop.com/assets/t...Nail-Hole-Repair-Procedures-Wall-Chart-v9.pdf

You will notice it is exactly the same other than cutting out the foam.

Here's a one piece combo patch/plug:
1687048011017.png

Here's a patch (that typically is applied after plugging a stem into the hole, which is why it's call a "two piece" procedure):
1687048030323.png

As I already said, the foam is irrelevant to a standard plug (which users apply themselves), given it is applied from the outside and doesn't rely on sticking on the inside surface of the wheel.

To make it clear, people talking about shops (which does patches as above) refusing to fix are because when such tires first came out, they were unaware it was as simple as cutting out the foam. Now the official repair guides make it clear it really is that easy.

In case you doubt these instructions, even Continental, the manufacturer, links to Rema's tire repair guide for repairing their Contisilent tires:
Tire Repair

Michelin does not appear to have public repair guides on the internet, but they say: "Repairs of all tires must be of the combined-plug-and-inside-patch type." Practically all manufacturers claim the same, which is why shops will not do plugs alone.
Does Your Car Tire Need Repair? | Michelin

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
I was talking about a patch (or a combo patch/plug). In context, you were talking about "reputable" shops. I know of no reputable shop that does plugs from the outside.

Here's the repair guide for a tire without the foam:
https://www.rematiptop.com/assets/t...Nail-Hole-Repair-Procedures-Wall-Chart-v9.pdf

You will notice it is exactly the same other than cutting out the foam.

Here's a one piece combo patch/plug:
View attachment 948027

Here's a patch (that typically is applied after plugging a stem into the hole, which is why it's call a "two piece" procedure):
View attachment 948028

As I already said, the foam is irrelevant to a standard plug (which users apply themselves), given it is applied from the outside and doesn't rely on sticking on the inside surface of the wheel.

To make it clear, people talking about shops (which does patches as above) refusing to fix are because when such tires first came out, they were unaware it was as simple as cutting out the foam. Now the official repair guides make it clear it really is that easy.

In case you doubt these instructions, even Continental, the manufacturer, links to Rema's tire repair guide for repairing their Contisilent tires:
Tire Repair

Michelin does not appear to have public repair guides on the internet, but they say: "Repairs of all tires must be of the combined-plug-and-inside-patch type." Practically all manufacturers claim the same, which is why shops will not do plugs alone.
Does Your Car Tire Need Repair? | Michelin
Plugs faded away when the radial tire was introduced. Because radial tires flex the plug lets air slowly weep. It will get you by for a couple 1,000 miles, but not a permanent fix.

That being said, I've plugged my own tires until I had time for a repair.

Reactions: CyberGus
No I don't.

Thanks to their versatility, I use mine often.

Everything has "finite life". The last time I needed a corded compressor for a flat, it almost immediately blew the fuse, leaving me stranded.

Strong words from a guy driving a battery-operated car.
Not trying to sound combative. I have a 21 gal compressor and full complement of tools, etc. I fill up lawnmower, truck, etc. Wont rely on battery when I know corded will just work whenever and I will only use in emergency. So far, I have never filled Tesla tires. Actually let a bit of air out of them to soften ride

Reactions: CyberGus
Yeah, this thread went off track fast! LOL
Check out this thread. Impossible to keep up with. Schizophrenic at best. It is the most active thread and the most unfocused thread in all of TMC history. If one can't handle talking about tire repair on a spare tire thread, don't go here:

Last edited:
US government mandated a dramatic increase in fleet gas mileage by 2026, at least a 10 mpg increase over the 2021 mandate. In Europe missing the mandated levels results in huge fines. This puts a pinch on ICE car manufacturers, they will go to great lengths to gain 0.1 mpg, dropping the spare is an easy way to make an immediate difference.

My wife's 2008 BMW X5, along with other models from that time period, has a parasitic battery drain that was exacerbated by choices BMW made to gain a fraction of a percent in gas mileage. They programmed the alternator to not come on unless the car is on the interstate driving at interstate speed. This gained them a fraction of a % on fleet mileage. But combined with a parasitic drain and driving around town, the battery would die with no warning and the car couldn't be jump started. It can't even be put into neutral for towing. The partial solution was to reprogram the alternator to function at lower speeds, and shut down all the computers in a much shorter time after shutting the car off.

So, yeah, the manufacturers play games to squeeze out the last bit of gas mileage in ICE cars, and given the unnecessary importance placed on range by car buyers it is not a surprise EV manufacturers do the same.

Reactions: Pianewman