Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Size Spare Tire - everything I learned after 3 months of research

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trunk of what? Where exact is this located.
Should be more clear from this:

Should be more clear from this:

Yikes. I understand wanting a spare and wanting it out of the way but now you can’t see out the rear view mirror and setup a projectile. Takes a lot to stop a tire moving at say 40mph through the cabin. You are compromising to much IMHO for the comfort of having a spare.

Yikes. I understand wanting a spare and wanting it out of the way but now you can’t see out the rear view mirror and setup a projectile. Takes a lot to stop a tire moving at say 40mph through the cabin. You are compromising to much IMHO for the comfort of having a spare.
The spare is on the ceiling of the trunk. Doesn't block the rearview mirror, isn't in the passenger compartment.

Take a look at the photos in that thread.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Wow... I've never seen commercials like that in the US. People say the US condones violence, but perhaps the UK is worse. I wouldn't want my 6 children watching people falling off a bridge or being crushed by a car.
Those are for the UK? I thought they had an advertising watchdog. Sure, changing a tyre can be dangerous, but losing one's grip and flying off an overpass into a truck bed? Seems a bit much.

I have a 2021 LR Model 3 18" tires. I just had 4 new Coni ExtremeContact tires installed. Two of my OEM Michelin MXM4's still had a bit of life left so I kept those tires. I purchased a used rim off ebay for $200 shipped. I had the tire shop install the MXM4 tire on the new rim with a rubber non-tpms valve stem and balance the tire. I purchased a canvas tire cover that has exterior handles on it. The full size spare sits in the trunk of my Model 3. The Conti's came with 3 years of roadside assistance on top of the Tesla roadside assistance under the car warranty. This car is my wife's daily driver and she has a freeway commute of about 110 miles round trip daily and I am not always in town. If she ever gets a flat I am reassured that the roadside assistance will install a tire that she can continue to drive on at 70+ mph until the tire can be repaired. Sure she will get a tpms warning on the display, but she won't have any driving restrictions.

Again, this is very dangerous! Something that heavy needs to be bolted down or else it will kill you in a collision. The backseat latch will not save you from a wheel & tire moving at 65 mph. At least run a cargo strap through it and secure that to the trunk wall or floor.
So, if I didn't have a spare tire in the trunk and I had a trunk full of heavy stuff, should I strap that down too? Risk management, I travel with a trunk or SUV cargo area full of stuff and never strap it down.

• Funny
Reactions: PianoAl and KenC
So, if I didn't have a spare tire in the trunk and I had a trunk full of heavy stuff, should I strap that down too? Risk management, I travel with a trunk or SUV cargo area full of stuff and never strap it down.
I feel irresponsible after reading these comments, since it never occurred to me that I've been driving around so dangerously all these years. Like my golf bag is in the back right now, and it's totally unrestrained.

I don't make the laws of physics, but obviously you can do whatever you want. The fact that there are federal standards for spare tires being bolted down and tested to remain securely attached during crashes tells me that yes, it is a problem and people who know more than I do about it have mandated a solution to it.
Load Securing 101 - How To Secure Trunk Loads Safely | ARCCA
a child returning home with his parents after a hockey game was paralyzed in a frontal crash. The child’s hockey bag had been placed in the trunk, and the child was in the back seat wearing his seat belt. A frontal vehicle crash caused the hockey bag to break through the seat and injure the child’s back due to poorly-designed seat back retention latches.
The requirement for bolting the spare tire to the trunk floor is the only one found in the federal standards, and that requirement entails having the tire remain securely attached during 30 mph frontal barrier crashes. However, none of the other provisions, such as the rear seatbacks, the bulkhead in pick‑up trucks, and the cargo barriers in vans, have any testing and evaluation requirements at all.

a child returning home with his parents after a hockey game was paralyzed in a frontal crash. The child’s hockey bag had been placed in the trunk, and the child was in the back seat wearing his seat belt. A frontal vehicle crash caused the hockey bag to break through the seat and injure the child’s back due to poorly-designed seat back retention latches.
I'm a bit stunned. Terrible tragedy. As someone who grew up playing ice hockey, those bags don't weigh all that much, less than 10lbs, unless the child was a goalie. What that means is virtually anything, including grocery bags could harm you.

Though the fault seems to be the latches, the only real solution seems to be to have a bulkhead between trunk and passenger cabin. I recall there was a company making metal sheets to install to protect against trunk theft. I wonder if that would be strong enough to resist cabin intrusion.

For Model X, you should probably look in the Model X subforum for alternative spares. This is the Model 3 forum, so I presumed you were looking for one for Model 3.
MX comes with staggered wheels/tyres, meaning the front and rear are of different sizes. So if at all you need a full size spare which can fit any wheel i guess you will have to use the size of the front tyres which is thinner than the rear tyre. Some people have chosen to go square meaning- all 4 tyres are of the same size ( front wheel size) . The wheel well at the front is smaller ( narrower) so rear tyres which are wider will touch the wheel well during turns if they are mounted in the front . Modern spare has one size fits all as their spare is thinner and they provide a spacer for the rear wheel to space out the wheel so that it does not interfere with the rear brake calipers. Hope this helps.

Here is a photo of one of a lot of six lightweight aluminum scissors jacks that I converted with custom Tesla jacking adapters. contact point raised.jpgcontact point.jpgweighing.jpgraised height.jpgmain crank size.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Trying to resurrect this thread, having just bought a M3.
Going for a proper spare (alloy and tyre).
Going for a scissor jack and ratchet.
Going for a small wooden ramp.

Read elsewhere that a Tesla M3 with a full blown puncture reduces the ground clearance to 1.5cm - is this correct? Hence my wooden ramp.

Don't want a long road trip ruined by having the car flat bedded to somewhere other than my destination.
Also don't want to rely on those dreaded gunk filling devices or plugs.

Any experienced M3 puncture survivors out there please?
😊

Thanks in advance

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
just throwing this idea out there, for most of the model Ys, you can use a hitch mounted spare tire carrier.
Something like this below. Minimally affect the aerodynamics of the car since its in the back, and won't take a whole lot of space in your tesla trunk.
1696616385620.png

Edit: Just did a quick google search and found this.
1696616522353.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Question that hasn't arisen yet (to my knowledge):
If a spare wheel is made up, (ready for the inevitable puncture that will now, not come along while you have a spare in the boot!), what is the general concensus of opinion about installing it with a new TPMS? I guess these are not cheap! I also guess that if a normal tyre valve was fitted, then you would have to drive continuously with the tpms caption illuminated until you swapped the spare back to the orginal (post repair). Is that a problem?