Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's reason for not adding spare tires, doesn't make sense.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better just to buy corded compressor. There is a 12V outlet in the trunk above left cubby area.
Agree, Harbor Freight is your friend.

I’ve carried the $39 model in my car for years. Like it because of the storage bag.

IMG_0847.jpeg

Last edited:
I was going to say the same thing. Who buys a rechargeable compressor? That’s an item you should never have to worry about, much less remembering to recharge it every month or so?!?
The 12V outlet in the trunk may not work. I looked a some compressor models and found that they require minimum 14V.
Besides, moving the compressor around with the cord attached to the trunk to reach all 4 tires is a little bit inconvenient.
The compressor I have is charged by an USB port. The battery is removable from the compressor. It may be charged by the trunk 12V (?), but I have not tried. It probably needs to recharge 3, 4 months or longer, not every month.

Which model do you recommend?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and CyberGus
The 12V outlet in the trunk may not work. I looked a some compressor models and found that they require minimum 14V.
Besides, moving the compressor around with the cord attached to the trunk to reach all 4 tires is a little bit inconvenient.
The compressor I have is charged by an USB port. The battery is removable from the compressor. It may be charged by the trunk 12V (?), but I have not tried. It probably needs to recharge 3, 4 months or longer, not every month.
When you buy the corded compressor, you test it. These things may not be used for years and years, so your battery operated has a much higher likelihood of not working because of it's finite life. Wouldn't want one if you gave it to me.

When you buy the corded compressor, you test it. These things may not be used for years and years, so your battery operated has a much higher likelihood of not working because of it's finite life. Wouldn't want one if you gave it to me.
I use my compressor to inflate my car frequently when I see the pressures of the tires on the Tesla app are imbalanced. I used it at least 3 times in the last 6 months. I don't need to drive my car to the tire shop to inflate. That helps me know when the compressor is not usable anymore.

Reactions: CyberGus

I’ve carried the $39 model in my car for years. Like it because of the storage bag.

View attachment 947847
I looked at those. I don't want to use an analog reading compressor. I need a precise digital reading compressor so that I can inflate my car frequently at home, not only during road trips. Besides those are big and cumbersome. That's why I did not by the one sold by Tesla either.

Reactions: CyberGus
When you buy the corded compressor, you test it.
No I don't.

These things may not be used for years and years
Thanks to their versatility, I use mine often.

your battery operated has a much higher likelihood of not working because of it's finite life
Everything has "finite life". The last time I needed a corded compressor for a flat, it almost immediately blew the fuse, leaving me stranded.

Wouldn't want one if you gave it to me.
Strong words from a guy driving a battery-operated car.

Which model do you recommend?
If you’ve got four flat tires that’s another issue. The compressor I recommend above runs on 12v, no issues. The power cord is 10’, the hose 5‘, it will reach any tire on a Tesla.

I find the need to inflate a wheelbarrow, bike tire or two every year. It always works. If you don’t trust electronic devices, you may have purchased the wrong car.

Last edited:
I looked at those. I don't want to use an analog reading compressor. I need a precise digital reading compressor so that I can inflate my car frequently at home, not only during road trips. Besides those are big and cumbersome. That's why I did not by the one sold by Tesla either.
We’re talking about emergency road use. This is a spare tire thread.

Reactions: LBM4 and Yelobird
I was going to say the same thing. Who buys a rechargeable compressor? That’s an item you should never have to worry about, much less remembering to recharge it every month or so?!?
I have a battery powered jumpstarter from my old car that has a built in compressor and that is what I keep in the car. It has a lead acid battery and even then the self discharge rate is negligible. It definitely doesn't require recharging every month, more like once every few months. It has a cigarette accessory socket that can be used to charge it, power it, or to take power from in a pinch. So even if the battery is run down, you have far more options.

As another pointed out, the battery powered one is far more convenient to use, given you don't have to deal with the cable. I've also helped neighbors with dead batteries and it's easy to do because I don't have to use jumper cables. Also I've seen plenty of reported cases where the 12V compressors blow a fuse and then you are stuck. Luckily the Model 3 doesn't use conventional fuses. The battery powered ones have the battery as a buffer, so even if you plug it in, it won't blow a fuse.

Reactions: rlsd and CyberGus
Perhaps Elon could be convinced to add a spare tire if the Tesla engineers could convince him it was needed for the windshield washing system like VW used to do in the 60's? :)

There is no business advantage for adding a spare just as there is no business advantage for bundling back cellphone chargers.

Tesla will make more money servicing flats like Apple will make more money selling chargers separately. Good from a business perspective as long as marketing does their job convincing it’s customers it’s also good for them.

Most will never care for spares until it is needed.

There is no business advantage for adding a spare just as there is no business advantage for bundling back cellphone chargers.

Tesla will make more money servicing flats like Apple will make more money selling chargers separately. Good from a business perspective as long as marketing does their job convincing it’s customers it’s also good for them.

Most will never care for spares until it is needed.
Sorry none of that makes sense. To start, with or without a spare you Still have to get a tire repaired. Second, do you Really think this is some master plan from Tesla to fix flats for cash?? Lol. They Pray you use common sense and go to Any tire shop and let them sell cars.

Reactions: Resist and CyberGus
Sorry none of that makes sense. To start, with or without a spare you Still have to get a tire repaired.
True, but you still pay for road side assistance.
Second, do you Really think this is some master plan from Tesla to fix flats for cash??
Just a smart business decision. No spares saves them money and road assistance makes them money.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Resist
Last I checked road side assistance is Not owned Or a profit center for Tesla. It’s an app to Find you service. Have you seen many Tesla tow trucks?
It isn’t a goodwill service from Tesla. They make money. Have you read the Tesla road side assistance policy? Vehicle must be towed to the nearest Tesla service center and must be service there or you pay for towing.

View attachment 947847
I also have that one. I purchased first from Tesla but the plug that goes into the 12 accessories outlet fell apart. It's a bad, bad, bad design. The Harbor Freight one works good but it has a strange quirk. You gotta turn it on before attaching to tire stem, else they say it could blow the fuse.

Reactions: rlsd