Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's reason for not adding spare tires, doesn't make sense.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wished Tesla put spare tires on their vehicles. My Mercedes has a very compact space saving and light spare. The spare tires are vacuumed and the side walls collapse and fold inwards, the outside tires then compressed straight into the wheels taking very little space. It is also light. Mercedes even provides white gloves, which goes with the tires. You just pump the spare with the provided pump before installing. Light space saving tires exist, Tesla could add this type of light and space saving tires, vs customers having to cut areas of the trunk to add bulky spares.

I get that only a small percentage of people get flat tires and it is supposedly heavy, therefore Tesla omits it, but it is so much quicker to replace a flat, 15 min, vs waiting for hours for the service van to fix your flat or drag you to the nearest service center. It’s like saying a small percentage of our vehicles get into accidents so we just omit airbags. If you ever get a flat, you want a spare and light space saving spares now exist and I’m sure with Tesla’s smart engineering team they can design an even more compact and lighter spare.

Not condoning it, but about half of the manufs don't include a spare tire anymore. In Tesla's case, aside from the obvious savings to them, I'd say the benefit is a bit more range. If you have a spare tire, then you need a jack and that adds weight. Personally, I may get one to keep at home. Most of my driving is in the city and it could be brought to me if needed.

Not condoning it, but about half of the manufs don't include a spare tire anymore. In Tesla's case, aside from the obvious savings to them, I'd say the benefit is a bit more range. If you have a spare tire, then you need a jack and that adds weight. Personally, I may get one to keep at home. Most of my driving is in the city and it could be brought to me if needed.
The Model Y weights 4,400 lbs. A spare tire maybe 30 lbs, Jack, pump and tire wrench maybe 15 more lbs? That’s like 1% more weight. Range effect will probably be minimal.

I get that only a small percentage of people get flat tires
True. And of those even less get damage resulting in a fast leak or serious damage. I check the TPMS regularly to see if a tire is low and then investigate to prevent road issues. I carry a good pump and a plug kit. Most road hazards, like a nail, result in a slow leak. I figure I can just pump that up and drive to service. I can also plug it but that would be somewhat difficult without a jack. I still have not found a compact jack I like that could lift it and my odds of needing one quite slim anyway. Road maintenance around here is awful though and potholes are a killer so I often swerve like a drunk driver.

Reactions: android04
I really wished Tesla put spare tires on their vehicles. My Mercedes has a very compact space saving and light spare. The spare tires are vacuumed and the side walls collapse and fold inwards, the outside tires then compressed straight into the wheels taking very little space. It is also light. Mercedes even provides white gloves, which goes with the tires. You just pump the spare with the provided pump before installing. Light space saving tires exist, Tesla could add this type of light and space saving tires, vs customers having to cut areas of the trunk to add bulky spares.

I get that only a small percentage of people get flat tires and it is supposedly heavy, therefore Tesla omits it, but it is so much quicker to replace a flat, 15 min, vs waiting for hours for the service van to fix your flat or drag you to the nearest service center. It’s like saying a small percentage of our vehicles get into accidents so we just omit airbags. If you ever get a flat, you want a spare and light space saving spares now exist and I’m sure with Tesla’s smart engineering team they can design an even more compact and lighter spare.
Same reason they got rid of USS. Saved $110? per car.

When folks buy and self install a spare tire, how do they secure it so it doesn’t become a deadly piece of flying dead weight in a crash?
I put it in the floor space behind the front passenger.

There's a thread with pictures and video of at least one person putting it in the sub-trunk (cutting the lower liner and strapping the wheel down). I might do this in the future.

But in many cases, if you have stuff in the cargo area, the back of your seat is already blocking most of your profile. The second row seats too, if those are up and the wheel is in the trunk. It would have to break through the seat backs and/or do some specific movements to get to you.

If you google loose items and deadly crash or something, most links talk about smaller objects. And those have an easier time getting around the profile of the seat backs.

How's that phrase? Possible, but not that probable.

I'd also add... it's at the point where, you've probably got bigger issues to worry about at the time.

I bring plug kits and air compressor with slime option. most of my tire punctures I just needed to re inflate the air in the tires enough for me to go to a tire shop. if puncture is big enough I will need to use the plug kit. some plug kit is good for a while and you can travel at highway speeds. doing it is quicker and possibly cheaper than calling service.