Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - have I made a huge mistake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
he issues with the car technology vs Hyundai would have been discovered on a test drive. As said previously it’s probably the second most expensive purchase people make in their lives, but some don’t bother to check if it’ll suit their needs first?

The problem is that unlike the first largest purchase, most people dont actually purchase the second largest purchase and go from deal to deal or its an experiment here and there sort of thing.

As for the tyre stuff - I don’t think I would’ve assumed that Tesla were the people to call for that sort of thing anyway. It’s a failure of a consumable, not a warranty issue. Yes, they arguably should have a more comprehensive support facility for owners in warranty, but they don’t - they’re not that kind of manufacturer. Again, research would have uncovered this.

Totally agree on hindsight. Imho , I would forgive some for thinking that they have a "normal" breakdown cover since most other manufacturers just sub this service to the proper service providers and the customer deals with them directly... Tesla's vertical integration is not quite there in this aspect imho.

Just taken on a 2023 Model Y RWD in black. Have leased hybrids, then EVs for years waiting for price/quality and practicality of a Tesla to meet my needs.

At last, the Model Y, and as a nearly new, I thought price was acceptable, but...have I made a huge mistake?

Firstly, autonomous elements of the car - wipers/lights/lane keep - are all universally terrible and much worse than Hyundai.
Ride is terrible
Technology is interesting, at times annoying
Quality is OK
Power / efficiency good
Practicably fantastic
Superchargers fantastic (if still a bit expensive, considering changes in energy prices)

but now ... Tesla service - I woke up this Saturday morning intending to drive some 200 miles to visit my family - checked the App which said I had 2 psi in a front tyre - sure enough it is completely flat. Of course, no spare, no pump, no emergency tyre goop, nothing. Pressed the button for service - this all seemed very efficient ... but 5 hours later, just got last call saying, there are no mobile service people available, the nearest service centre is well over 50 miles away and not open, the model of tyre you have (Hankook Ventus Evo3) is not available, there is nothing we can do, except in 2 days time we may be able to tow you to a garage within 50 miles!!! I am stranded on my driveway, probably for want of a £10 puncture repair.

Has the world gone mad, just provide a temp spare tyre and I could have got to a garage, got the puncture fixed and been on my way - and they say this is progress.

Would love to love it, and certainly think the power and efficiency for the size of car seem amazing, but just at the moment I am feeling that this is a big and expensive mistake.
that moment when you call tesla service for flat tyre rather than mobile tyre repairer :/

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: boombap and Js1977
Sorry guys but I have to agree somewhat with the OP. The car should come with an electric pump and sealer/repair kit. Tesla cars aren't cheap cars and this is taking cost saving too far! Basically, it's an essential piece of kit now that cars don't come with spare wheels.

That said, I did my own research and bought my own kit, but wouldn't it have been so much better if it was already supplied.

PS. So many people (on here) have bought an electric pump and found the car couldn't supply enough power to run it... Tesla needs to up its game...
I mean, you buy yourself a car and you check what is there.
If you have something missing - you just buy it yourselv. I bought myself puncture repair kit (spray) and have 12v pump forever and ever.
Maybe tesla should come with lifting pucks? It should not.

If you have something missing - you just buy it yourselv. I bought myself puncture repair kit (spray) and have 12v pump forever and ever.
Maybe tesla should come with lifting pucks? It should not.
Agreed. I don’t need duplicates of things because they ship with the car each time. Also never even considered calling Tesla service for a flat tyre, maybe that’s just me.

Sucks for OP but it seems the only complaint is flat tyre and harsh ride, one is a fixable problem the other you get used to as a characteristic of the car.

Totally agree but some people go on an assumption from previous experiences.

On the other hand some people never find out some stuff unless they do so the hard way.

Take me as an example... I never knew where the stopcock was until I drilled a hole through a pipe and had to ask the neighbour ( mirrored house semi detached) .... Now I know that most houses have it near the kitchen tap.

I also asked google and this was the answer..

Of 2,000 people questioned, only 54 per cent knew the location of their stop tap, sometimes also known as a stopcock or stop valve.

I also could not find in the past where the car jack was and had to google that to because I needed it.

No one is born taught unless you are a cat (apparently)... live and learn.

Sorry guys but I have to agree somewhat with the OP. The car should come with an electric pump and sealer/repair kit.
Why? I've been driving for 40+ years and can count the number of flat tires on one hand. I have only used a spare in the 5 tire rotation; i.e., never put on a spare due to a flat. For those that prefer the security of a pump, Tesla sells that online.

Why raise the price of every car a few pounts/dollars for an item that 90% (or fill in your %) of the buyers will never use?

Why? I've been driving for 40+ years and can count the number of flat tires on one hand.

I agree with you from personal experience (about 30 years driving) I can maybe remember two or three punctures at most including two blowouts.

My Mrs however, driving nearly as long, I have lost count and it's really annoying since im the one that has to sort them out... I keep telling her not to drive too close to the kerbs where most deposits end up... she is really unlucky.

I have bought a fair few used cars though and the amount of times that ive been amazed that either the the spare was still brand new or just used to keep costs down must account towards your account of events.

Do you not include accessories like tyre repair kits, warning triangles, first aid kits, mats, anything you can possibly take out but came with the car in the first place when you sell the car on?
Tyre repair kits?
Never had one supplied with a vehicle.

Warning triangles, first aid kits etc?
Yes. Because they are legally required items in some territories which is why they’re supplied with the vehicle.

Mats if supplied stay.

My point was, shipping unnecessary electronic waste when I already own a tyre pump as do the vast majority of vehicle enjoyers, isn’t a good use of time, resources, or money. Even my late grandmother had a foot pump and a 12V battery charger that she kept to hand for such minor emergencies.

Just taken on a 2023 Model Y RWD in black. Have leased hybrids, then EVs for years waiting for price/quality and practicality of a Tesla to meet my needs.

At last, the Model Y, and as a nearly new, I thought price was acceptable, but...have I made a huge mistake?

Firstly, autonomous elements of the car - wipers/lights/lane keep - are all universally terrible and much worse than Hyundai.
Ride is terrible
Technology is interesting, at times annoying
Quality is OK
Power / efficiency good
Practicably fantastic
Superchargers fantastic (if still a bit expensive, considering changes in energy prices)

but now ... Tesla service - I woke up this Saturday morning intending to drive some 200 miles to visit my family - checked the App which said I had 2 psi in a front tyre - sure enough it is completely flat. Of course, no spare, no pump, no emergency tyre goop, nothing. Pressed the button for service - this all seemed very efficient ... but 5 hours later, just got last call saying, there are no mobile service people available, the nearest service centre is well over 50 miles away and not open, the model of tyre you have (Hankook Ventus Evo3) is not available, there is nothing we can do, except in 2 days time we may be able to tow you to a garage within 50 miles!!! I am stranded on my driveway, probably for want of a £10 puncture repair.

Has the world gone mad, just provide a temp spare tyre and I could have got to a garage, got the puncture fixed and been on my way - and they say this is progress.

Would love to love it, and certainly think the power and efficiency for the size of car seem amazing, but just at the moment I am feeling that this is a big and expensive mistake.
I think your problem is country/region specific. In contrast to your experience I had a flat caused by a road nail puncture that gave me a flat tire after I woke up in a remote area of the Gaspé peninsula in the province of Quebec. Nearest Tesla service centre was 578 km away. I called Tesla service and they sent a truck to pick up my Model Y LR to carry it to a tire repair shop I choose anywhere within 50 km of my location for no cost. The truck came from about 70 km away and was loading my car onto it about an hour after my call. The tire repair place I chose was only about 11 km away in the other direction. I ended up paying just $20 for the tire repair at the shop - plus some tipping, especially the truck driver. I could not have been happier with the service. In fairness, Quebec is Canada's most progressive jurisdiction for EV adoption. I should also say, I really sympathize with your problem and find that level of service unacceptable.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I had a puncture within weeks of getting my Model Y, was a company car so AA out to plug the hole and tyre company 2 days later (it’s a bastard tyre to source apparently). OP would have had a notification in the morning as did I, perhaps when the car woke up for some reason, would be pretty crap if it didn’t warn you until you drove some distance. Followed up my experience with buying the Tesla pump/gunk kit.

Over the years, fewer and fewer cars are coming with a spare tire. Lots of solutions, but for the most part an owers that is concerned can purchase a compressed air with sealant canister, a monkey grip plug kit, or a small air compressor to get you to a neighborhood tire store.
Eliminating the spare tire increases range, improves handling, makes the car lighter, gives additional storage space and increases max handling loads.
A educated owner will realize this and prepare their own solution if a flat occures.
Last ditch solution is to drive slowly to a local shop. This will ruin the tire, and cost more than a simple repair, but it is a solution.
This is not a Tesla thing, but a car owner thing.

Reactions: boombap
Most punctures (in my motoring life experience) are slow punctures, slow enough so that if you have a 12v Tyre pump you can pump it up enough to get you to a garage (cost about £20 (I keep mine in the 'well' in the boot))

And then ... we have had three in the last many years ... a very slow puncture we could refill every day, a fast puncture that required a visit to a tire store right now, and a total blowout last month that put me back $450. Despite the reasoning, I'd like a spare option. As for weight, I could also stand to lose 40lbs myself.