Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope its not stalkless. Removing USS without equiv functionality was amazingly dumb. Removing stalks just makes the UX worse still. Elon really needs to get over his obsession with removing features with each update.
My 2022 model Y still cannot summon or autopark, and the teslavision parking display is a cheap joke. Even given that, I feel lucky I got one before elon took away stalks. Someone needs to have enough influence at Tesla to tell him when he is wrong.
With all due respect, it's all trade-offs for cost reduction. Plus there's a part of me that says we're just too used to the old UX to have a valid opinion (myself included).

Besides, the reverse stalk didn't work for me anyway on that April 1st day of my accident. There's no actual connection to a gear box, so the software has to decide if it's OK to use reverse which still takes too long... and cost (Allstate) about $80K+ to fully replace my favorite Model Y. So I say chuck it or connect it for real is my fairly strong view here. The sooner the car can figure out which correct direction to go, the better.

(Edit: I'd rather not have door handles either. It makes it easier to clean!!!)

Last edited:
People from the SEC probably mistakenly took Knives Out 2 as a documentary on Musk. The movie features the main villain, a billionaire that got rich from making electric cars and rockets, living in a glass dome.

Reminds of Trump who thought Sicario as a documentary on Mexicans.
I believe this falls under the general warning that Musk gave many moons ago (a year now?) that attacks on him were going to increase greatly. Mostly I have figured this is due to the purchase of TwitteX, but I have a feeling that as more and more powerful oxen are gored by these disruptive changes across multiple industries, more and more of these desperate who-in-their-right-mind-should-actually-care type hit pieces will be published.

The only problem with stalkless is that sometimes you think you’re in reverse when you aren’t. If you have a bad habit of stomping on the accelerator from a stop because you’re in a hurry and you don’t have fast reaction times, this can be bad. Of course, the answer is to become a better driver since you should never ever be in such a hurry when starting out.

Tesla fixed this a long time ago. Stomping on the throttle when near an obstacle is ignored by the car now.

Tesla Autopilot prevents ~40 crashes per day caused by SUA | Teslarati (Aug 22, 2022)

And here's a bonus safety feature for those ***** who insist on speeding in reverse:

Tesla's 'Automatic Emergency Braking' Now Works in Reverse and at speeds over 100 MPH.

They are addressing the one big blind spot of Vision by adding a front bumper camera. With that, they should be able to get rid of ultrasonics.

And stalkless isn’t horrible. I’m quite used to it by now.

The only problem with stalkless is that sometimes you think you’re in reverse when you aren’t. If you have a bad habit of stomping on the accelerator from a stop because you’re in a hurry and you don’t have fast reaction times, this can be bad. Of course, the answer is to become a better driver since you should never ever be in such a hurry when starting out.
When on FSD, I sometimes confuse the turn signal for the FSD control stalk. I think stalkless might be an improvement but no first hand experience. I'm all for removing buttons because one of the lifetime limiting parts of a car are the buttons, which typically fail at around 150K miles. Usually button failure is when people start seriously thinking about trading in.

What do you mean by this?

There are no substantial rumors of additional cameras or different camera angles for FSD outside of the additional inputs on the S/X computer, which many associate to the Semi.
By saying HW 3.5 still, I meant that the article says that Highland will only use HW 3.5, not HW 4.0. True? I have no idea.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I hope its not stalkless. Removing USS without equiv functionality was amazingly dumb. Removing stalks just makes the UX worse still. Elon really needs to get over his obsession with removing features with each update.
My 2022 model Y still cannot summon or autopark, and the teslavision parking display is a cheap joke. Even given that, I feel lucky I got one before elon took away stalks. Someone needs to have enough influence at Tesla to tell him when he is wrong.
Don't worry, when Elon removes the steering wheel he will probably need to reintroduce the stalks as a fidget toy.

The only thing that worries me about stalkless is roundabouts. In The Netherlands I'm required to use a turn signal when leaving the roundabout. It will be quite hard to figure out which button to press if the wheel is upside down. Does anyone have experience with roundabouts and stalkless turn signals yet?

By saying HW 3.5 still, I meant that the article says that Highland will only use HW 3.5, not HW 4.0. True? I have no idea.
I doubt they do not put HW4 in the car. Maybe the article is thinking about lack of radar, which the MY doesn't have, but we aren't even sure if Tesla plans to use the radar. Especially with reports of Tesla disconnecting the new radar (and the old) in Model S/X.

2023-08-31 17:47

Exclusive|Tesla's new Model 3 will come tomorrow

Author|Li Wenbo

Article Summary:
  • Tesla will release the new Model 3 tomorrow, arousing the expectations of people around the world. This facelift condenses Tesla's innovations in the past 16 years, including innovations in appearance, interior, power and intelligence. The biggest expectation of users is that the price of the new Model 3 can be cheaper.
  • The new Model 3 adopts long and narrow matrix LED headlights and a sharp and capable front face design, highlighting its powerful performance.
  • In terms of interior design, the new Model 3 cancels the turn signal lever and gear lever, and the turn signal function and shift function are integrated on the steering wheel and the central control panel.
  • The power level of the new Model 3 has been improved, the battery capacity has been increased, and the cruising range has reached 610 kilometers. At the same time, cost-reduction and efficiency-enhancing measures such as integrated casting technology and shortened wiring harness length are adopted, which are expected to reduce the starting price.
...text continues in this translated link:

Exclusive|Tesla's new Model 3 will come tomorrow

Cheers to the Highland-ers!
Two questions come to mind.

1. Is that 610 kilometres EPA or WLTP range.

2, will the model Y eventually get a similar update and range extension. In Canada now an AWD is only 497 kilometres as we only get the Shanghai version.

In a couple years we will probably update our Y but would hold off with the lower range available now. I know we hear this a lot from other Canadians here. It would be nice if they would import the American made Y’s and give the customer a choice. I’m not adverse to buying a Chinese Tesla but would prefer one built in North America.

Jmho.

I doubt they do not put HW4 in the car. Maybe the article is thinking about lack of radar, which the MY doesn't have, but we aren't even sure if Tesla plans to use the radar. Especially with reports of Tesla disconnecting the new radar (and the old) in Model S/X.

Y also does not have the front camera folks here were saying would fix the lack of USS either, nor even a physical connection on the driving computer for it

Reactions: petit_bateau