Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The usefulness of this thread has really gone downhill over the last year or so. The amount of messages each day is just too much to keep up with, and the content is low. I'd like to suggest another way that might help, which is to limit the number of posts a person can make in this thread to 1 every N hours. Maybe N is 6 or 12 or 24, it could be adjusted to find a good balance. This would get people to think more carefully before posting, and get rid of the back and forth 'discussions/arguments' between a small group of people that comes up often.
@Maarten’s idea can work on this platform. Yours, which I had many years back, cannot, unfortunately.

Like many others I can see how trolls are chasing away people who have been loving contributing to and reading this thread.
Also, I understand the difficulty for the moderators in shutting someone out who is maybe / maybe not a troll.

However, I have been thinking of a solution and I think I have one.
Easy to set up and moderate.

The example is already here with the thread of @Papafox .
It is a thread in which only he is allowed to post.
So, just make a thread in which only a select group of people are allowed to post.
We already all know who the people are who write the really valuable investor’s posts.

Suggestion: start with @Gigapress , @mongo , @The Accountant , @Papafox , @Discoducky , @NicoV , @avoigt , @Right_Said_Fred and @AudubonB as thread moderators (if willing) and @ZeApelido for the humor.
Do not be disappointed when your name is not mentioned above, please. 100% sure I will have forgotten valuable contributors.

It is just for the start, expand with those that the moderators decide that will be valuable and will keep it manageable for them.
Suggestions can be made to the moderators via a pm; they can decide to forward the suggestion to the suggested person without the need to answer the pm.
Call it: "The Perpetual Distinguished Knowledgable TSLA Investor’s Information Thread (!! only selected members are allowed to post !!)".
The addition in the title will help to moderate.

And just keep this current thread and see how things evolve.
It may take some value out of this thread, but there will still be enough things that will be valuable to read.

I approve of this idea. But only if you remove all the other suggested members and it’s only me.

I approve of this idea. But only if you remove all the other suggested members and it’s only me.
My compromise suggestion is that if you share that thread with the others, you get 3 additional threads all to yourself

IMO there is only really 2 sides for driving - CHD (correct hand drive) and SD (sinister drive).

If the world was not so sinister, us CHD folks would have v12 FSD and the ability to buy Model S/X,

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SPadival
How would we (1) expand permitted contributors to the Exalted Few?, including those who Maarten overlooked?

I always have maintained this thread is not a democracy. A meritocracy, though? Hmmm.

By the way, @unk45 most certainly would be one of them.
A great way to ensure all the exceptionally interesting, intelligent, good looking posters make the list would be to automatically include anyone who has made a minimum 500 posts and has at least a 1:10 comment to upvote ratio or something like that.

This tells me that 12.4 is most likely feature complete (I.e. adding advisory sign support and reverse) and has a higher reliability rate than the closest at scale (well, nearest anyways) competition. I'd also expect we'll start seeing autonomous licence application filings after this build is rolled out.
Could it not instead mean that the NN + interior camera* are now sufficient to determine driver attention (which was the reason for wheel torque sensing)?
Either it's officially Level-whatever-doesn't-require-attention-monitoring-for-safety/-NHTSA-satisfaction, or the monitoring does not require wheel torque.

*(acknowledging this then requires AP HW with interior camera)

This is concerning. Employees leaving normally refrain from this kind of statements about former workplaces.
From his post: "The recent layoffs that are rocking the company and its morale have thrown this harmony out of balance and it’s hard to see the long-game."
Nothing stated about Supercharging layoffs specifically.
I get Rich's sentiment, but the added implication of one group as the catalyst is unsupported by the data presented.

He also left the new Director of Supercharging was promoted, TSLA hit it's ATH, and the extinction of the dinosaurs...

Could it not instead mean that the NN + interior camera* are now sufficient to determine driver attention (which was the reason for wheel torque sensing)?
Either it's officially Level-whatever-doesn't-require-attention-monitoring-for-safety/-NHTSA-satisfaction, or the monitoring does not require wheel torque.

*(acknowledging this then requires AP HW with interior camera)
I had the same thought as @mongo . Removing the nag might just be replacing it with NN trained in cabin camera for more robust monitoring. That could be even worse depending on the implementation. I've been annoyed with the cabin camera causing the system to yell at me because I'm using the frigging radio! I'll remain cautiously optimistic just for this reason. If the system is not expecting YOU to stay engaged and vigilant, then that's beyond SAE L2 and Tesla would have to be liable, no? I don't see that coming with the next build...

I don't see how Kardashian photo shoots drive sales. How many of her stupid followers can buy $100k trucks?
Its an interesting question.
Advertising does not just work on the potential purchaser, it also works on people who 'reflect' the desire to purchase.

Hardly anyone who sees an advert on a billboard or TV for a porsche can afford a porsche. This does not matter. The point is, those ads solidify in the public consciousness that a porsche is sexy, expensive and amazing. The opinions of the masses on that vehicle are reflected onto the target (the buyer), who is no longer buying a car they think is cool... they are buying a car because everyone will know they bought a cool car.

Designer brands are never shy about the fact that they are very expensive, and frankly overpriced. Its almost the point. If everyone knows a certain handbag is $10,000, then that gives the owner huge bragging rights. If nobody knew the bag was special apart from the buyer, then suddenly half the utility of the bag is gone.

We live in an age where what you drive says a lot about the person you are. If peoples favorite celebrities, rock stars and movie stars drive a cybertruck, then the truck MUST be cool, which means the 'celebrity wannabes' (accountants and middle managers) will buy one hoping some celebrity juice spills onto them.

How would we (1) expand permitted contributors to the Exalted Few?, including those who Maarten overlooked?

I always have maintained this thread is not a democracy. A meritocracy, though? Hmmm.

Another approach would be that instead creating a new tool, to better use the tools we already have. I am thinking here of the „Particular Merits“ thread. There are only 6 posts to find there since the start of this year. Maybe the load to select appropiate posts can be spread across more shoulders.

The problem I see with the Exalted Few (EF) method is occasionally there are new posters with valuable contributions, I don't see how they will have a chance to become an EF if they aren't allowed to post. Right now I believe the ignore function is the only current way to allow new, and possibly valuable, posters to be included without having to read through too much junk. This is not a perfect method, but it has the advantage of being personalized and doesn't reek of censorship by Mods.

Like many others I can see how trolls are chasing away people who have been loving contributing to and reading this thread.
Also, I understand the difficulty for the moderators in shutting someone out who is maybe / maybe not a troll.

However, I have been thinking of a solution and I think I have one.
Easy to set up and moderate.

The example is already here with the thread of @Papafox .
It is a thread in which only he is allowed to post.
So, just make a thread in which only a select group of people are allowed to post.
We already all know who the people are who write the really valuable investor’s posts.

Suggestion: start with @Gigapress , @mongo , @The Accountant , @Papafox , @Discoducky , @NicoV , @avoigt , @Right_Said_Fred and @AudubonB as thread moderators (if willing) and @ZeApelido for the humor.
Do not be disappointed when your name is not mentioned above, please. 100% sure I will have forgotten valuable contributors.

It is just for the start, expand with those that the moderators decide that will be valuable and will keep it manageable for them.
Suggestions can be made to the moderators via a pm; they can decide to forward the suggestion to the suggested person without the need to answer the pm.
Call it: "The Perpetual Distinguished Knowledgable TSLA Investor’s Information Thread (!! only selected members are allowed to post !!)".
The addition in the title will help to moderate.

And just keep this current thread and see how things evolve.
It may take some value out of this thread, but there will still be enough things that will be valuable to read.

It's an interesting idea. Such a thread would certainly be easier to parse and read than this one has become.

However, my only concern with such a theoretical thread is your list is almost all Tesla bulls, optimists on the company who rarely see anything wrong with what Tesla or Elon does. What would be the utility of such a thread? It could become less of an open discussion and more of a one sided (for lack of a better term) echo chamber on how great and promising Tesla is at all times.

I know many find this current thread disheartening due to the trolls and naysayers who muddy things up, but personally I find the less optimistic posters rather informative sometimes. I like reading points of view which make me question my enthusiasm about Tesla and the stock.

It's an interesting proposal though. 🤔

Hard to believe given how hostile NHTSA has been about FSD (IMO). Maybe they’ll relent a bit on the full stops at stop signs too?
Unlikely since stopping at stop signs is the law. (At least here in EU, not sure about every U.S. state)

It's not because most drivers disobey the law that an autonomous system (which will be held to the highest standards) has the same right. It's not a right to not come to a full stop. It's a traffic violation.

Either the law should be changed or the signs replaced by yield-signs, or drivers (biological ones or silicon ones) should obey the law.

It does amaze me how many people are up in arms about FSD being "unfriendly" to human drivers by stopping at stop signs. It's a stop sign. If the driver behind the FSD Tesla is annoyed by the Tesla coming to a stop it is they that are the problem.

Nobody will care when being driven by an autonomous Tesla that it comes to a stop at stop signs. As long as it happens smoothly. It even feels way safer for the passengers.

So yeah, the stop sign thing is not an issue IMO.