Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (the company) killing itself slowly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's easy to forget Tesla is still essentially a startup company - and hasn't completed the transition to a more mature business model, including customer support.

Stop it! It doesn't matter whether a company is a start-up or not.
It doesn't matter whether the company is small or not.

What's happened is not Tesla being a startup, it's Tesla having to cut costs, and prioritizing product over customer support.

This impact is an important part of why I didn't follow up on my early SR+ order and instead ended up having my order canceled and my order fee and reservation refunded. (I thought about canceling, but I don't recall actually doing it. I think Tesla did it internally. No issue with them not wanting an old order with an old price hanging around.)

Part delays, failure to communicate, and full voicemail boxes are not something I or others want to deal with, especially when 200 miles from the nearest service center.

But more than that, the Model 3's volume should be providing Tesla with the money to fix these problems, some of which have been long-standing. So, it's a very bad financial signal now and for the future, with increasing numbers of Teslas on the road..

If Tesla picks up and fixes those obvious problems, then maybe I'll buy a car from them. But maybe by then there'll be a competing product from a serious competitor that's not VW. For now I'll continue to drive my reliable 9-year-old Prius and hold onto the $40k+.

I like my car and I like Tesla but you can see their resources are being spread thin these days since they want to do be involved in everything and do it all. They continue to to try and save money in the wrong areas for long term success while spending money on outright unnecessary things.
This is the crux of my frustration with Tesla. Instead of focusing on cars and getting that right (i.e., production, delivery, service, profitability), Tesla's ADD CEO is obsessed with distracting and burdening a struggling company with solar panels, energy storage, semi trucks, taxi fleets, insurance products, music streaming service, and stupid video games. Musk may be a visionary on a lot of levels, but he's a terrible CEO who is hurting Tesla more than he is helping.

Tesla service is awful yes but who really thinks that old guys just need to come out with an OK EV and their existing service network will be there to support it?

I directly asked an 'official representative service' boss who happened to run by me at my last regular-oil-change service visit: "Do you sell those new Renault Zoes"? I got a very cold look and straight answer: No, we do not and will not. I have no men adequately educated nor equipment or rooms necessary to service EVs. Old guy will need to bring up their EV-service support from zero.

It is hard to see but Tesla is in the lead even in EV servicing game.
But as the old saying goes Do not think you are good just because you are best than all the others.
The opposite is also true... you may be bad but that does not mean there is anybody any better.

Tesla service is awful yes but who really thinks that old guys just need to come out with an OK EV and their existing service network will be there to support it?

I directly asked an 'official representative service' boss who happened to run by me at my last regular-oil-change service visit: "Do you sell those new Renault Zoes"? I got a very cold look and straight answer: No, we do not and will not. I have no men adequately educated nor equipment or rooms necessary to service EVs. Old guy will need to bring up their EV-service support from zero.

I am sure this isn't true. Companies sitting on billions of dollars of cash will be able to very quickly educate and staff their service centers. Something Tesla can't and won't be able to do quickly because of the financial situation they are in. I am willing to bet that parts for e-tron GT will be available quickly from the get go.

Now when I think about it, I feel like we should either sell our Teslas if we aren't happy and buy something else, or just shut up, since there is no end in sight to all these problems. We bought a product from a young company that has never posted a decent profit number knowing full well all the issues the company has or has had. At least I knew the issues in advance prior to purchasing. I did hope they would resolve them this year based on Elon's promise at the start of the year, but we all know how much Elon's promises are worth in the short term - zero.

I am sure this isn't true. Companies sitting on billions of dollars of cash will be able to very quickly educate and staff their service centers. Something Tesla can't and won't be able to do quickly because of the financial situation they are in. I am willing to bet that parts for e-tron GT will be available quickly.

Now when I think about it, I feel like we should either sell our Teslas if we aren't happy and buy something else, or just shut up. We bought a product from a young company that has never posted a decent profit number knowing full well all the issues the company has or has had. At least I knew the issues in advance prior to purchasing. I did hope they would resolve them this year based on Elon's promise at the start of the year, but we all know how much Elon's promises are worth in the short term - zero.

I have gone to a few dealerships including Audi and Jaguar. It’s hit or miss on how “open” they will be to servicing EVs. Considering I have only needed an alignment after 37k miles on my Tesla (and plan to be the only thing) for 50k Miles, dealerships are not going to like the low maintenance.

Where Does the Car Dealer Make Money? | Edmunds

Yes, Elon’s time frames are often pretty poor. But I’m still impressed with how far they have come in such a short time all things considered.

Last edited:
Same with tesla, once a true competitor emerges... yada yada yada... tesla will be in trouble

I don't know when or if there will be a true competitor. Before that people like the op who threaten to buy a different car does not seem to have a case. I know this is a whining and venting thread but just want to point out the reality. I'm going to kill you if you don't do what I want may work but I'm going to kill myself if you don't do what I want most likely will not.

I'm sure Tesla knows all this and will do the best it can. Although as I said it will still need to allocate its scarce resources to more important things which is basically what will allow it to produce and sell as many cars as possible. Talk is easy but the devil is always in the details. People who think that's not good enough certainly are free to start their perfect company since they seem to know how.

Last edited:
If you need immediate assistance in the current paradigm, your only real choice is to take the day off, drive to the mall, and stand around the Genius Bar until someone feels sorry for you.
At least there you can make a reservation. Had to do this last weekend when my Mac corrupted a systems file. Took them an hour and a bunch of failed attempts in public to reload the OS and then they dragged it into the back and got it done in 45 minutes. And all the while they were cheerful and friendly and absolutely wanted to make it right.

Oh and it cost me nothing because it was SW related. I got the impression that even if I had corrupted or deleted the files it still would have been free.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I don't know when or if there will be a true competitor. Before that people like the op who threaten to buy a different car does not seem to have a case. I know this is a whining and venting thread but just want to point out the reality. I'm going to kill you if you don't do what I want may work but I'm going to kill myself if you don't do what I want most likely will not.

I'm sure Tesla knows all this and will do the best it can. Although as I said it will still need to allocate its scarce resources to more important things which is basically what will allow it to produce and sell as many cars as possible. Talk is easy but the devil is always in the details. People who think that's not good enough certainly are free to start their perfect company since they seem to know how.
But we’ve seen a few people on the forum leave for an ICE car simply because dealing with tesla can be a headache.
Some people aren’t buying the model s for its environmentally friendly status, they are doing it because it’s a great car, but there are other great cars out there.

I’m sure tesla doesn’t care now, since they have plenty of demand. But this does create a reputation for the brand that’s going to affect its future. They need to look beyond the next quarter and realize the people that they are mistreating might leave and never return. Remember the days of tesla being able to sell many cars due to word of mouth? That works both ways. Once tesla is labeled a s*** company, not many will want to deal with it.

But we’ve seen a few people on the forum leave for an ICE car simply because dealing with tesla can be a headache.
Some people aren’t buying the model s for its environmentally friendly status, they are doing it because it’s a great car, but there are other great cars out there.

I’m sure tesla doesn’t care now, since they have plenty of demand. But this does create a reputation for the brand that’s going to affect its future. They need to look beyond the next quarter and realize the people that they are mistreating might leave and never return. Remember the days of tesla being able to sell many cars due to word of mouth? That works both ways. Once tesla is labeled a s*** company, not many will want to deal with it.

Again most people buy Tesla because it's a great car. Tesla with limited resources can not make everything perfect. That its top priority is to make great cars is definitely a correct one. Soup Nazi would never even be in business if he made lousy soups no matter how he treated customers. I think you went too far by saying Tesla could be labeled as a shity company. Maybe to you or other detractors but not most people.

Still around after this many years and there not going anywhere. They don't operate like old school oem so why expect them to? This bs about tesla failing is so dumb and pointless. Now if you experience some poor customer service then I agree they need to fix your issues but as all of us know the service centers are almost all overwhelmed. I know it's not an excuse but it's the reality.

Tesla cult members like you are the only reason I like pointing out that my model S isnt perfect and that Elon is a habitual liar

This is the crux of my frustration with Tesla. Instead of focusing on cars and getting that right (i.e., production, delivery, service, profitability), Tesla's ADD CEO is obsessed with distracting and burdening a struggling company with solar panels, energy storage, semi trucks, taxi fleets, insurance products, music streaming service, and stupid video games. Musk may be a visionary on a lot of levels, but he's a terrible CEO who is hurting Tesla more than he is helping.

Yeah that is what I was getting at. If they just focused on the core products their resources would be enough to produce great cars and keep a high service level.

I don’t really want to get another brand but unless they start investing in customer care it will be hard not to. Ionity seems to be months away from covering enough of Europe (with 350 kW chargers) for me to go whereever I would go.

At that point it is just a matter of time before a car comes along that is good enough. Also it will be interesting to see how level 3/4 autonomy will come along in Europe, I believe Tesla is in for a world of hurt here since it seems Audi/VW, BMW and Daimler all go for the same approach and seems to be chugging along decently. Good luck getting the camera approach approved then.

Last edited:
Tesla cult members like you are the only reason I like pointing out that my model S isnt perfect and that Elon is a habitual liar
It has nothing to do with being a tesla cult member. My model S isnt perfect either but tell me what car is and this discussion will be over. All manufacturers have issues, all manufacturers have issues, all manufacturers have issues, sorry didnt mean to sound like a broken record but this thread is a broken record. Same ish same smell different day. For the very small percentage of model S owners on TMC of course your gonna hear about people having issues. Do you really think everyone has issues? Obviously not because if they did there would be recalls, and or TSB's. Tesla service is not where it needs to be but its definitely not as bad as some folks on TMC make it out to be.

Do I support tesla? Yes

Do I believe in there mission? Yes

Do I think theres room for improvement? Yes

Last edited:
I have gone to a few dealerships including Audi and Jaguar. It’s hit or miss on how “open” they will be to servicing EVs. Considering I have only needed an alignment after 37k miles on my Tesla (and plan to be the only thing) for 50k Miles, dealerships are not going to like the low maintenance.

Where Does the Car Dealer Make Money? | Edmunds

Yes, Elon’s time frames are often pretty poor. But I’m still impressed with how far they have come in such a short time all things considered.

That will be the legacy manufacturers single biggest problem - coercing their dealers ( franchised independent business owners ) to spend big money on the equipment and training to deal with cars that will not provide much revenue to the only part of their business that makes any money. Without service absorption the whole dealership model falls apart and that is part of the brilliance of Musk's business model - company stores only.

Do I support tesla? Yes
Do I believe in there mission? Yes
Do I think theres room for improvement? Yes

I do support that statement and that is also Why I ordered one.

Following the European forums here on TMC seeing pictures and complaints passing by which most of the time are quite disturbing. I’m just not used to It. I change car every 3 years and had my fair share of german premium cars (BMW,merc,Audi) and honestly I can’t recall any issues so my expectations are high.

I get It that during the last rush, Tesla had to deliver but people should not be the Victim of that rush.

Don’t forget that we’re (probably) believers and fans here but if you want to sell to the masses, you better make sure that the delivery and services issues get resolved because the masses wont be so forgiving,

I get my car in Oktober and hope all Will be ok so I Can drive that magnificent piece of machinery home

• Love
Reactions: hydro and neroden
All well and good, but that should be offered by Roadside - not the FU attitude I and my wife got on three calls. Had I been in the country I would almost certainly have done that, but my wife was not comfortable doing that as she did not want to drive the car in it's partially operable state.

I mean what else does not work without the MCU?

We bought the car specifically for it's safety features as my wife has had seizures and while on medication still wants as much as possible to know the car is looking out for her too. Does forward collision warning work (I believe not, as I tried to test it in a safe way on the way to the SC), and of course there's the simple issue of other sensors. I cannot be certain, but it felt like the air suspension was riding at it's lowest as well - just more indication that things are not as they should be.

And I wonder what the insurance situation is too, given that is underwritten with functional expectations of AP, safety systems, etc - what happens if you are driving a car with half a brain - it's the techie version of driving impaired (sort of).
I love the guys that disagree with this until it happens to them or even worse, their wife or child.

You have every right to be pissed...and for the record...admitted Tesla fanboy here. Best care I have ever owned by a mile (even with the problems), but Tesla customer service needs work...BIG TIME.

Last edited:

But as the old saying goes Do not think you are good just because you are best than all the others.
The opposite is also true... you may be bad but that does not mean there is anybody any better.

This is nonsense. Most of the servicing for Teslas can be done by pretty much any independent shop given the manuals (which Tesla is inexplicably concealing). The same will be true of any other EV.