Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take a look at the new map of Japanese Superchargers through 2015 . . .

Screen shot 2014-09-08 at 5.31.27 PM.png

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I imagine Tesla will eventually establish a presence in S. Korea and build superchargers there.

Now building superchargers in North Korea, I think that's a bit of stretch. :tongue:

The real question is what continent will be next, Africa, Australia, South America?

My money is on Australia! They have some very wide open spaces, and already have a web page for the Australian market, Buy or Reserve a Tesla | Tesla Motors Australia:

Australia.png

Oh my -

to be able to drive from Kagoshima to Asahikawa...bikkuristchaimashitadaze! Except for that pesky ferry hop between Aomori and Hakodate...

Hmm....anyone want to go in on purchasing a Model S (or Model 3) just to enjoy driving Japan? It's been sooooo long since I spent not enough time there (total about 2 1/2 years, back in undergrad & grad school years).

Oh my -

to be able to drive from Kagoshima to Asahikawa...bikkuristchaimashitadaze! Except for that pesky ferry hop between Aomori and Hakodate...

Hmm....anyone want to go in on purchasing a Model S (or Model 3) just to enjoy driving Japan? It's been sooooo long since I spent not enough time there (total about 2 1/2 years, back in undergrad & grad school years).

I'm in for a Model 3!... the thought of fitting an S on small Japanese streets.. I'm having trouble imagining (at least the neighborhood streets around my family's house.)

The Asia 2015 map shows at least 60 in China and at least 20 in Japan. That means that we can reasonably expect that worldwide there will be about 500 live Supercharger stations sometime in Q1 2016. So, in the next 18 months more than 300 new Supercharger stations will go live. That's about 100 in a period of 6 months. And that's a little more than 16 per month.

Actually, there will be more than the 500 mentioned above. Geographical expansion in the next 18 months will lead to a higher total. Which countries? I think: Australia, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, India, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Turkey, etc.

There will be at least 1,000 live Supercharger stations BEFORE the start of the mass production of the Tesla Model 3. I am pretty sure about that now. Reservations for the Tesla Model 3 are going to be very impressive.

The Asia 2015 map shows at least 60 in China and at least 20 in Japan. That means that we can reasonably expect that worldwide there will be about 500 live Supercharger stations sometime in Q1 2016. So, in the next 18 months more than 300 new Supercharger stations will go live. That's about 100 in a period of 6 months. And that's a little more than 16 per month.

Actually, there will be more than the 500 mentioned above. Geographical expansion in the next 18 months will lead to a higher total. Which countries? I think: Australia, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, India, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Turkey, etc.

There will be at least 1,000 live Supercharger stations BEFORE the start of the mass production of the Tesla Model 3. I am pretty sure about that now. Reservations for the Tesla Model 3 are going to be very impressive.

Extremely wishful thinking! Tesla has yet to come close to the expectations they have set for SC delivery. They have made tremendous progress but continue to over promise and under deliver in this area. I am hopeful that they hit 400 SC by Q1 2016 but I wouldn't even count on that.

I wonder how much of the delay is due to regulatory or government stumbling blocks. Even in the USA, there appears to be great variability in speed of site approvals, some of it at a very local level. It will be interesting to speculate whether a slower or faster network development in other countries can be attributed to presence or lack of the same. And whether or not shortcuts (money? influence?) utilized by other businesses can be a factor.

I wonder how much of the delay is due to regulatory or government stumbling blocks. Even in the USA, there appears to be great variability in speed of site approvals, some of it at a very local level. It will be interesting to speculate whether a slower or faster network development in other countries can be attributed to presence or lack of the same. And whether or not shortcuts (money? influence?) utilized by other businesses can be a factor.

The key challenges seem to have been:
- zoning variance (govt)
- planning board (govt)
- planning department (govt)
- easements (private)
- waiting on other work, e.g. other new construction (private)
- complex utility connection, e.g. power running across road (utility)
- utility transformer installation (utility)

I think the biggest, most frustrating, delays actually have been due to private companies and private utilities, rather than government, although it's not easy to know since government is usually in at the beginning when the project is less visible.

Subarashii! Although I hate to admit that the first thought I had when seeing one of the SC locations is Roppongi is of beautiful Teslas sitting on the Tokyo Shuto :cursing: