Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Announcement appears to indicate Full access to Supercharger Network (including V2) as a part of an expanded NACS agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last thing I want to do is block two spots, but when you gotta charge you do what you have to. The strategic thing to do would be to leave the spots on the end empty if possible so Fords aren't blocking two chargers.

My dream would be if the CCS to NACS adapter came with an extension cable, but I understand this isn't really possible with liquid-cooled cables.
The problem arises when the end spot you suggest is already taken and, like you said, you gotta charge. It puts the Ford drivers in a very bad position. They would presumably have been promised access to the supercharger network and Ford presumably would have paid Tesla something for this access but they end up taking twice as much space as the Teslas. I can also see Tesla drivers being annoyed that a bunch of Fords are taking spots then getting really mad when they take 2 spots.

On the other hand, Tesla has opened up most Superchargers in Europe to all vehicles years ago.

This isn't their first rodeo. They've got a ton of data and experience about how this will impact the charging experience.

I don't hear people complaining about blocked Superchargers all the time. I know it's not quite an apples to apples comparison because Europe has better charging infrastructure in general and more Teslas are able to go to non-Tesla chargers in Europe.

The problem arises when the end spot you suggest is already taken and, like you said, you gotta charge. It puts the Ford drivers in a very bad position. They would presumably have been promised access to the supercharger network and Ford presumably would have paid Tesla something for this access but they end up taking twice as much space as the Teslas. I can also see Tesla drivers being annoyed that a bunch of Fords are taking spots then getting really mad when they take 2 spots.
I am 100% with you. We own a Tesla as well. If I am on a trip in our MY and I have to wait 40 minutes to charge because of a Lightning, I am going to be unhappy.

Reactions: sleepydoc
At the time of the original announcement there were about 12k V3 stalls open
There are now over 15k. Tesla has opened a lot of locations.
100% agree this is more about keeping up with the number of V3 locations than anything. Even Lucid is quoting the 15K number now. I doubt Ford (or any automaker) wants to be perceived as having access to less Superchargers the others. I still firmly believe V2's are not in the mix.
PS. There are now 17K V3 Superchargers in North America. Updated announcements incoming!!! ;-)

Reactions: Rocky_H