Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ultra Wide Band, a new Bluetooth, much more accurate, so it knows exactly where you are standing rather than just knowing you are 'near the car somewhere'.

Not many phones are capable of doing it though either, so you need both the car hardware and the phone hardware. Only the latest iPhone and a handful of Android (but Tesla haven't enabled support for Android phones just yet)

I think this is referring to the adaptive headlights. If the visualisation doesn't show a car ahead in the distance, it probably won't black it out in the high beam, so you can use the screen to know if it will be blinding people.
I believe that was the intent of @bcarp's suggestion.

I don't believe it to be true, however. I was having a bit of a look at that today out of interest.

The furthest car ahead that I observed displayed on the visualisation was less than 200m ahead. However it was certainly dimming the pixels on the adaptive headlights further out than that for traffic ahead, and way further out than that for oncoming traffic.

So my conclusion is that the visualisation is not completely representative of everything the car is "seeing" (for the purposes of adaptive headlights, anyway). I'm sure there is a practical limit to what distance it can discern objects and lights (I believe the HW3 cameras are only 1080P or thereabouts), and identifying headlights is probably easier than tail lights due to the brightness.

Reactions: dronus and bcarp
I do find the visualisations useful to help understand the behaviour of the car. Either when it is signalling an alert (pedestrian or other car potential collision) or when I’m using autopilot.

For the warning it identifies the specific concern. Mainly they are false positives, but not so often they distract or provoke alarm fatigue.

For autopilot it lets me predict when autopilot will behave erratically and easier if I take over.

I think I’m probably a bit of an outlier who is interested in seeing how the autopilot is evolving and how I can exploit it to reduce task load.

Others will have a higher expectation of performance and that is fair enough given the expectations that have been encouraged over the years

I do find the visualisations useful to help understand the behaviour of the car. Either when it is signalling an alert (pedestrian or other car potential collision) or when I’m using autopilot.

For the warning it identifies the specific concern. Mainly they are false positives, but not so often they distract or provoke alarm fatigue.

For autopilot it lets me predict when autopilot will behave erratically and easier if I take over.

I think I’m probably a bit of an outlier who is interested in seeing how the autopilot is evolving and how I can exploit it to reduce task load.

Others will have a higher expectation of performance and that is fair enough given the expectations that have been encouraged over the years
Agree that's exactly how I see them

Reactions: Hairyman and dronus
I went for a drive in the rain today, and tried out the 2024.14.3 change to the wiper controls.

When they first introduced the wiper controls on the left scroll wheel, I instantly ridiculed it, because you had to long-press the scroll wheel, then use it left/right to adjust the wipers. Whereas, if you pushed the end of the stalk, you then used the scroll wheel up/down to adjust the wipers. This inconsistency just reeked of ineptness and total disfunction of their human interface/software engineering section.

When 2024.14.3 came out, the change notes read that they had finally listened to me and fixed the scroll wheel long push to be up/down - now finally consistent with the stalk push behaviour.

So I tried it out today, and guess what?

If you long press the scroll wheel, you need to scroll your thumb up to go OFF-A-1-2-3-4.
But, if you press the stalk button, you need to scroll your thumb down to go OFF-A-1-2-3-4.

My OCD almost caused me to drive the car at 200 km/h into the nearest concrete wall.

But fortunately, just in time, the car reminded me to pay attention to the road, and all was good in the world again... :p😆🤣

I went for a drive in the rain today, and tried out the 2024.14.3 change to the wiper controls.

When they first introduced the wiper controls on the left scroll wheel, I instantly ridiculed it, because you had to long-press the scroll wheel, then use it left/right to adjust the wipers. Whereas, if you pushed the end of the stalk, you then used the scroll wheel up/down to adjust the wipers. This inconsistency just reeked of ineptness and total disfunction of their human interface/software engineering section.

When 2024.14.3 came out, the change notes read that they had finally listened to me and fixed the scroll wheel long push to be up/down - now finally consistent with the stalk push behaviour.

So I tried it out today, and guess what?

If you long press the scroll wheel, you need to scroll your thumb up to go OFF-A-1-2-3-4.
But, if you press the stalk button, you need to scroll your thumb down to go OFF-A-1-2-3-4.

My OCD almost caused me to drive the car at 200 km/h into the nearest concrete wall.

But fortunately, just in time, the car reminded me to pay attention to the road, and all was good in the world again... :p😆🤣

I personally think the left/right of the scroll wheel is un-ergonomic in general, It feels like a real "effort" to do the action correctly. Perhaps a button on the left and right of the scroll wheel would feel more logical. The edge of the scroll wheel isn't sharp enough to get the correct purchase on it. A 2nd set of buttons on the back side of the wheel would also be nice, seen that on many cars before. For now, the scroll wipers are not bad, but its almost as if a "third" stalk would have been the ultimate solution. Perhaps like that third stalk Toyota cruise control used to have that I actually loved.

I personally think the left/right of the scroll wheel is un-ergonomic in general, It feels like a real "effort" to do the action correctly
I actually liked the left-right. The volume was up-down. Now, I find myself changing the wipers when in light rain when I'm intending to change the volume because I'm pushing the stalk button so much.

You used to be able to set a 1 (useful in heavy Sydney traffic to avoid people cutting in front of you) when the radar was enabled.
The worst thing about driving in Sydney is bastards not letting you change lanes, which you need to do to avoid being railroaded into turning left or right where you didn't want to but it wasn't signposted until the point where traffic was already queued up to, or getting stuck in a lane suddenly full of parked cars.

The worst thing about driving in Sydney is bastards not letting you change lanes, which you need to do to avoid being railroaded into turning left or right where you didn't want to but it wasn't signposted until the point where traffic was already queued up to, or getting stuck in a lane suddenly full of parked cars.
Not just Sydney… Canberra and many other locations too! Generally I find Australian drivers are getting less and less considerate of each other. Sad really.

This scenario gets heavily featured on that Aussie dashcams YouTube channel haha along with the resulting aftermath :(