Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster Crashed in Alaska (now repaired)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oy. It's late. Look, all I was saying is the reason studded snows were illegal in many states was because of damage to roads, not because of stopping (as stated).

There are tons of links stating that. Don't make me post 'em all. Pleeeease. I've spent a large part of my life driving on snow & ice with and without studded tires. I know your friend told you he rear-ended someone because of the studded tires. I'm going with my personal experience.

And again, I only was responding to your assertion that the tires were illegal because of stopping issues. Tires are illegal in many states because of road damage. And yes, chains cause even more damage. But people typically remove those first chance they get, because of performance issues. So no one typically has to tell drivers to remove chains if they're driving on dry pavement.

Last edited:
Sheesh, a lot of kerfuffle there.

* I asked that specific question because I am extremely familiar with that specific road. There are approximately 10 other Model S owners and perhaps one Roadster owner who also is (except I believe that other Roadster is down in Juneau).

* Just to quash the "studded" debate on this thread, they not only are legal in Alaska but are nigh-ubiquitous in winter months.
* Regardless, I realized ex-post facto (that is a wonderful word play, by the way......:biggrin: ) that it might not be appropriate for Jack to answer on open forum, so I withdraw the question.

When my wife saw the online auction page she was MAD. The insurance company decided to send the car back to us for proper care until all estimates for repairs are in. We brought her home yesterday and put her in the ICU. She is in critical but stable condition. Charging functions normally and there appears to be no major structural damage though the experts are still examining the evidence.

When my wife saw the online auction page she was MAD. The insurance company decided to send the car back to us for proper care until all estimates for repairs are in. We brought her home yesterday and put her in the ICU. She is in critical but stable condition. Charging functions normally and there appears to be no major structural damage though the experts are still examining the evidence.

So, Jack, is your Roadster potentially not totaled?

I'm not sure who said it was totaled in the first place. Not us or the insurance company. Maybe it just sounded better in the news article. Our car sustained a lot of damage. If it is repairable it won't be cheap. The jury is still out on "totaled".

I think her anger is appropriate and I think you really need to twist the insurance company over that posting. You need to tell them that they assigned the car to the wrecker way too soon, showing they are not really interested in fixing her. You need to REFUSE their trying to total the car, and insist that they fix it.

IMHO

Best,

T

Ooh, that doesn't look good. Glad you are ok.

@botbldr45
They probably declare the whole PEM or ESS for salvage, as soon as it has "a bigger scratch".
From the photos you see, the PEM is probably damaged optically (Electrically it seems ok, because charging does work).
So:
-PEM
-big side body panel
-trunklid
-suspension
-rear bodypanel
-trunk itself
-rear steel chassis?
-ESS?
-required working time!!!

All this drives up the cost quite fast. I hope you will be able to have it fixed.

So I've pranged my Roadster and am in the ditch all alone. Only TM knows where I am via GPS but that is all. Dash might complain that TPMS is no longer functioning but the other systems are quiet*. How is it that my insurance company somehow manages to get its greedy paws on my car??

I would just bring my own flatbed and tow it back to the house. What am I missing here?

* (we should be so lucky!)
--

It will be up to Tesla if it it totaled for two reasons: 1) parts availability, and 2) if there is ANY frame damage. The rear quarter panel and even the front fenders are considered "structual" and require an inspection by Tesla before the parts are sold. Any slight damage to the frame and it will be considered salvage.

If it is totaled, find out what you can buy the car back for and let me know. I have a good home for it.

I hope I didn't stray people about being definitive on the poor Roadster being a definite total loss. However what I mentioned is that if any piece of the main carbon fiber hull is damaged, its going to need to be replaced. That alone for that large CF piece is big bucks not to mention the labor involved to pull it off and put an new one back on. I saw in Menlo Park where they were restoring a crashed Roadster, pulled the main hull out and putting a new one in. Long long process. Ask Marco, he's done this (but I think he may have outsourced the labor). He knows the cost of the main CF piece. Start adding in all the little pieces, rear bumper, trunk, wishbone, wheel, light, fender, paint, etc, and the insurance I'm sure will find it easier to classify it as a total loss. Hence why they already listed it on the insurance site. But all the above is my opinion seeing salvaged Roadsters, seeing them get repaired, and understanding the cost of the parts and labor involved.

If it was my Roadster, I'd personally want it to be totaled but repairable. Reason being, since its being claimed by the insurance repair if not totaled, the carfax will show the scar. Not the title. But those in the market for these cars will do a carfax I'm sure. So that alone will drop the value down. If totaled, it'll have a salvaged title. With that, if repairable, you can repair it for far less and since you have it you're taking care of the big ticket item that goes out which is the ESS. Then I'd buy it back, take time to repair it right, love it, drive it and keep it forever.

Only issue is future repair of things. Sometimes Tesla won't sell you big ticket items for a salvaged vehicle, ESS, sheets for the ESS, PEM, etc. Don't know if their policy will change. But as we've seen its not impossible to get parts so I wouldn't let that hold you back. Also typically resale values drop on salvage cars, but there's a discussion here on TMC that talks about both sides due to its limited production. So being part of that discussion I'd have to say, yes it will have a drop in value but it won't be as much as other (non-rare) vehicles. Lastly insurance will be more difficult and more expensive to buy for full coverage on a salvage vehicle.

I'd get 2nd and possibly 3rd professional opinions on the Roadster's damage. If you have someone who specializes in Lotus's, in particular the Lotus Elise that'd be a bonus since they understand the frame and any serious flags they might identify if there's damage that'd make it unrepairable.

Just trying to spell it out clearly to let you know what the possibilities are.

Last edited:
Our Roadster is being shipped to Seattle tomorrow for inspection and hopefully, repairs. I replaced the hub carrier and fitted a new wheel and tire. The car drives under its own power and there are no errors now on the VDS. It will still need a lot of suspension and body work but it looks repairable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 481
Oy. It's late. Look, all I was saying is the reason studded snows were illegal in many states was because of damage to roads, not because of stopping (as stated).

There are tons of links stating that. Don't make me post 'em all. Pleeeease. I've spent a large part of my life driving on snow & ice with and without studded tires. I know your friend told you he rear-ended someone because of the studded tires. I'm going with my personal experience.

And again, I only was responding to your assertion that the tires were illegal because of stopping issues. Tires are illegal in many states because of road damage. And yes, chains cause even more damage. But people typically remove those first chance they get, because of performance issues. So no one typically has to tell drivers to remove chains if they're driving on dry pavement.

Reading an older thread, and no experience whatsoever with Tesla Roadster, but driven studded winter tires all my (winter driving) life and I agree with bonnie. Damage to roads (and perhaps air quality issues that can cause locally) are likely the main reason to limit their use.

I think the "studs lift you over the road" feel is only really ever felt by myself when turning the wheel in some cars. Car standing on those studs on hard surface can feel lighter to turn around compared to sitting on mere rubber when it is stationary. You can draw "nice" circles to the driveway with those. But when it comes to actual motion and braking, I think the dynamics of the wheel take over and I have never experienced any breaking anxiety on studs on dry roads. I guess it isn't impossible there is some detrimental effect, but I certainly have never felt it or rear-ended anyone. Braking anxiety is worst when there loose snow over the road, let alone over ice. Dry roads, meh, compared to average winter driving and the care that naturally goes with that, it is a bliss.

Studs create noise. That's, really, the suckiest part on an EV. It sounds almost like you're driving an ICE.