Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Recall [MS & MX MCU 1 failures]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that Electrek put it very well in their article:

Electrek’s Take: A fiasco that Tesla needs to make right
This whole MCU problem has been a mishandled fiasco for Tesla, and they need to finally make it right and accept that recall.

Like I reported the last time the issue was brought up, it seems likely that NHTSA would force the recall, and it looks bad for Tesla to be fighting it so hard.

There’s obviously a defect, and instead of pro-actively fixing it, Tesla is waiting for the worst case scenario to fix it, and even then, we are hearing some stories about owners having difficulties getting it fixed under warranty.

I think that in this case, Tesla needs to own up to it and take the hit.

Surely it will only cost a few dollars each car and worth it for the goodwill generated.

It still is not a recall - NHSTA in USA has asked for a recall.

Regards,

Tony

Reactions: Rustybkts
I think that Electrek put it very well in their article:

Surely it will only cost a few dollars each car and worth it for the goodwill generated.

It still is not a recall - NHSTA in USA has asked for a recall.

They have asked for a recall, but unless Tesla can justify not doing so with new evidence that it isn't required, they reserve the right to enforce it.

I got an email from Tesla a few weeks ago stating that warranty on my MCU1 would be extended to 8 years (I think it was 8 from memory) and would be replaced immediately should I experience any issues. Would be nice if they upgraded it to MCU2 instead of fitting another dodgy old one.

If you ask they will happily upgrade it to MCU2..........and than send you a £2350 invoice :).

But I wonder if a recall might change this little game, with Tesla potentially being forced to swap out a few hundred thousand units overnight. I guess it depends how much stock of MCU1 they actually hold and the cost of potentially having to replace them again down the line. At some point it will be cheaper for Tesla to simply fit MCU2, although I’m sure they will be reluctant to do that when it makes a bit of easy upgrade cash. But not so easy to sell an upgrade to something that is now officially deemed a safety issue!

Reactions: ringi
It's not so much that MCU1 is deemed a safety issue, than the failure of it is a safety issue, the same as the failure of an MCU2 would also be a safety issue. I wouldn't expect Tesla to be compelled to fit an improved MCU2 for a failed MCU1, they'd only need to replace the failed MCU1 with a working one. The MCU2 upgrade revenue is still there to be had.

Of course, Tesla may decide to fit an MCU2 in place of a failed MCU1 - but that kills their upgrade revenue. If they go that route, what becomes of anyone who's paid to upgrade recently?

even if they do the US recall that the US authorities are demanding that does not mean they will do it anywhere else. They would not be the first car company to do a recall in one region and not others just because the law was different in different places.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
It's not so much that MCU1 is deemed a safety issue, than the failure of it is a safety issue, the same as the failure of an MCU2 would also be a safety issue. I wouldn't expect Tesla to be compelled to fit an improved MCU2 for a failed MCU1, they'd only need to replace the failed MCU1 with a working one. The MCU2 upgrade revenue is still there to be had.

Of course, Tesla may decide to fit an MCU2 in place of a failed MCU1 - but that kills their upgrade revenue. If they go that route, what becomes of anyone who's paid to upgrade recently?

Of course. I’m just speculating that as time goes by it might simply be more convenient for Tesla to fit MCU2 in warranty claims.

even if they do the US recall that the US authorities are demanding that does not mean they will do it anywhere else. They would not be the first car company to do a recall in one region and not others just because the law was different in different places.

For sure. Here in the UK they have responded so far by officially lengthening the warranty on MCU1 parts from 5 to 8 years. So at the very least they will fix it FOC if it breaks during that time. I reckon there’s a reasonable chance of getting an MCU2 at that point unless they have a massive stock of MCU1s lying around.

If they go that route, what becomes of anyone who's paid to upgrade recently?

In the UK they are already offering a refund to anyone who had to pay for an MCU1 repair within the new 8 year warranty. As for those who have paid to upgrade to MCU2 I very much doubt they will refund anything unless they are forced by law. But it does increasingly look like this particular upgrade revenue is on borrowed time. Probably depends on spare MCU1 stock levels as much as anything else. If they run out of those, what else can they offer? It’s not unusual in other industries to receive a warranty upgrade due to obsolete stock of your original item.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
In the UK they are already offering a refund to anyone who had to pay for an MCU1 repair within the new 8 year warranty. As for those who have paid to upgrade to MCU2 I very much doubt they will refund anything unless they are forced by law. But it does increasingly look like this particular upgrade revenue is on borrowed time. Probably depends on spare MCU1 stock levels as much as anything else. If they run out of those, what else can they offer? It’s not unusual in other industries to receive a warranty upgrade due to obsolete stock of your original item.

I think they will carry on pushing the upgrade option instead of warranty repairs for a good while yet. I had my car booked in for a new eMMC which I was willing and expecting to pay for as my screen hasn't gone but is going (this was before the warranty announcement) - Tesla cancelled the appointment at the last minute and said they could only exchange failed (not failing) units due to low stock of parts, but the good news is they can still do the upgrade if I want that instead. They also said that position was unlikely to change anytime soon so unless my screen dies completely upgrade option is the only choice.

They did also suggest I might want to go to a 3rd party to get the chip replaced pre-emptively if I wanted which was quite a surprise.

Haven't read the above so may already have been mentioned, but aren't Tesla already repairing the MCU 1's with a replacement eMMC board? Sounds like its a bit intricate migrating data (what data is this?) across, but probably no more destructive than a whole replacement unit.

I got an email from Tesla a few weeks ago stating that warranty on my MCU1 would be extended to 8 years (I think it was 8 from memory) and would be replaced immediately should I experience any issues. Would be nice if they upgraded it to MCU2 instead of fitting another dodgy old one.

The mode of operation seems to be first tell you it’s a software bug, second they reformat the memory, and eventually they may agree to replace the memory board. The nature of the fault means it isn’t ‘working’ then ‘failed’, it’s working, then slow degeneration with increasing numbers of lock ups, crashes, aborted software downloads and laggy startup and eventually it’s fully failed. That’s why the warranty isn’t really enough.

As for MCU2 upgrade, not a chance, they’re fitting a memory board costing a few hundred if that’s make.

I think they will carry on pushing the upgrade option instead of warranty repairs for a good while yet. I had my car booked in for a new eMMC which I was willing and expecting to pay for as my screen hasn't gone but is going (this was before the warranty announcement) - Tesla cancelled the appointment at the last minute and said they could only exchange failed (not failing) units due to low stock of parts, but the good news is they can still do the upgrade if I want that instead. They also said that position was unlikely to change anytime soon so unless my screen dies completely upgrade option is the only choice.

They did also suggest I might want to go to a 3rd party to get the chip replaced pre-emptively if I wanted which was quite a surprise.

Having just read the new warranty it is crystal clear that they have no choice but to replace the eMMC if it is malfunctioning (not a complete failure). The solution they are providing under the warranty is to replace the 8Gb card with a new 64Gb. So it retains the MCU1 processor.

I don’t know what the typical lifespan is for this dodgy memory card, but mine only has to survive another 12 months before I change the car. No f@*#ing way am I ever going to run a Tesla out of warranty!

Having just read the new warranty it is crystal clear that they have no choice but to replace the eMMC if it is malfunctioning (not a complete failure). The solution they are providing under the warranty is to replace the 8Gb card with a new 64Gb. So it retains the MCU1 processor.

I agree absolutely that is what Tesla ought to be doing, and is what the warranty implies, but the reality is they are not. They have pushed back on a number of 'failing' MCU warranty claims in which the owners have been fobbed off with a reset or other excuse. The conclusion being come back when it is dead or when the new software indicates the eMMC has failed.

I agree absolutely that is what Tesla ought to be doing, and is what the warranty implies, but the reality is they are not. They have pushed back on a number of 'failing' MCU warranty claims in which the owners have been fobbed off with a reset or other excuse. The conclusion being come back when it is dead or when the new software indicates the eMMC has failed.

If that happens to me I’ll think twice before buying a third Tesla. So far I haven’t had the problem and in 12 months time when my PCP ends it will become someone else’s issue.

Now the part specific warranty is in place I would expect it to become a more routine replacement. It sounds like they just need to stock up on these memory cards, which should be pretty cheap.

I’m not interested at all in paying for the MCU2 upgrade. I don’t see the benefit really. The screen runs a bit slicker in my new M3, but not a big deal different really. EAP in my MX feels the same as FSD in the M3.

From today's email:

Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.
If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a shoulder check and use your mirrors to back up safely.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.
LEARN MORE
Most Common FAQ
Q: Is my Model S/X affected by this recall?

A: All owners can check if their VIN is affected at either the Tesla VIN Recall Search or the NHTSA VIN Recall Search.
Q: Is my car safe to drive?
A: There is no risk to vehicle drivability if the eMMC malfunctions, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering. But if your vehicle is running software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose access to the rearview backup camera display, exterior turn signal lighting, and access to windshield defogging and defrosting controls. If these functions are not available, drivers can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors, taking care when making turns, and assuring clear visibility when driving.
Q: How can I make an appointment for this recall?
A: If you are the registered owner, the only action you need to take at this time is to confirm that your vehicle is running software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release and, if it is not, to install the newest available release. There is no other immediate action that you need to take at this time, and you may continue to drive your vehicle. We will notify you when replacement parts are available. Until then, please do not schedule a Tesla Service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen.