Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do they call an OTA update a recall? (24V051000)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except in this case there is a specific definition of the term recall used in the legal regulatory compliance space, which in this case is perfectly accurate. It this context both of the terms recall and defect are regulatory compliance terms, not simply literary terms.
Exactly my point, thank you. This is like the city of Bogusville publishing notice that henceforth, any person, place or thing walking on the sidewalk with or without boots, shoes, sandals, flip-flops and with or without overshoes is by definition a dog and subject to being detained and / or confined by animal control.

Just because you declare that for the purposes of this legal regulatory compliance space the word "up" refers to the direction things fall on planet earth, doesn't make it so.

Ultimately, if it is an issue that requires a recall, then it should be recalled. Calling it anything else just to accommodate hurt feelings is ridiculous. There nothing personal about this and NHTSA isn't required to try and alter public view on either direction. The best thing anyone can do is to simply cite the 573 form for the recall and educate the targets of the media. Frankly calling out something else isn't going to change what the media does with it anyways.

Reactions: legendsk
Yup

Except for the alarming perception.

Yup, so qualify them as "OTA Recall" and remove the click bait alarmist headlines.
Headlines are what media loves to create even on minor events.
Already mentioned above, I also got friends saying loudly to me: "hey, Tesla recalls 2 millions cars, is your car affected ?".
I simply smiled and told them: "Yes my car is affected, and Tesla just took care by updating their software over the air, while my car parked in the garage at night".
So, to normal people, thus is just a software fix, not an actual recall in our common understanding.
Technically, it's a recall or not, we are happy as we do not waste a minute on this recall.

Reactions: zoomer0056