Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do they call an OTA update a recall? (24V051000)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the thing that surprises me the most is that the NHTSA only discovered this after about 12 years of production. If this is truly a "safety" issue, why was it not discovered before?

People who are saying why wasn't this detected before are overlooking the possibility that Tesla has met the font size for years, but in a recent software update, they messed up, the font size got changed, and was no longer compliant.

It's not like Tesla has never played with size/position/location of various items on the dash or main display over the years and changed those in a subsequent software update. And given this likely was in base code that got incorporated into prior model years across all products, and you suddenly find yourself having to include all of the vehicle population. That is the most likely scenario in my opinion.

So in my view, the most shocking aspect of this for me is how incompetent Tesla continues to demonstrate itself in the abiiity to understand and ensure they are complying with the multitude of automotive regulatory requirements, including the FMVSS requirements.

Just my two cents worth from someone that has lived part of their professional life in both the automotive software/calibration development space and also the regulatory compliance domains.

True. But how hard would it be to have a sub category called "instant recall" or "electronic recall" or some such.
It wouldn’t be hard, but why add confusion?
A “recall” is in no way qualified by how difficult the process is.

I’ve had recalls that required I leave the car with the dealer for the day, and others that required a 2 minute check. We don’t have subcategories for that.

The important thing is, OTA “recalls” are easier on the owner, on Tesla service, and on Tesla’s account ledger. These are all great talking points and yet more examples of advantages to doing business the way Tesla does.

Because it’s a well-defined term NHTSA uses to classify a response to safety defects that require manufacturer intervention.

Whether or not you have to physically go to a dealer or service center to get it addressed is frankly immaterial.

Not really. A recall is a recall. You need to stop thinking about how the recall is performed and why the car needs a recall. A recall is the government forcing a manufacturer to fix a safety issue. Ask yourself why Tesla can't stop themselves from doing unsafe things with their software and constantly having to be forced by the government to fix these safety issues in their software. There's something very broken at Tesla to keep causing these recalls.

I've seen some other web sites showing that the font on Tesla screen warnings is the same size or larger than the warning lights on some other cars. No word about recalls directed at them.

But the thing that surprises me the most is that the NHTSA only discovered this after about 12 years of production. If this is truly a "safety" issue, why was it not discovered before? I don't doubt that this is a tiny issue in the big scheme of true safety issues. .2 of a mm is, in fact, a tiny and probably meaningless discrepancy, but rules are rules. But if this is worthy of all the media hullabaloo (it isn't), the NHTSA should also be front and center explaining its own failure to detect this for well over a decade.
This wasn't a safety defect though (as reported by NHTSA), it was a compliance issue. NHTSA also only called out FMVSS 135, Tesla appears to have found the FMVSS 105 issue during their investigation.

Still a recall, but for a different reason.

It wouldn’t be hard, but why add confusion?

OTA “recalls”
Exactly!
Qualify it as OTA. Not confusing at all unless one doesn't know what OTA stands for.

The media and the vast majority of non Tesla owners pick up on the word "recall". It's much more dramatic to lead people to think two million cars have to be brought into the shop for work rather than saying a simple "OTA Recall" is in process.

Last edited:
This wasn't a safety defect though (as reported by NHTSA), it was a compliance issue. NHTSA also only called out FMVSS 135, Tesla appears to have found the FMVSS 105 issue during their investigation.

Still a recall, but for a different reason.
While you may term it to be just a compliance issue, in the regulatory framework and legal terminology used by NHTSA the official terminology is a defect.

It is always difficult for me to determine other's motives who do peculiar things. When someone chooses to use the wrong word to speak of something, it is very difficult for me to determine their motive, if any.

It could be just that they are just stupid, which is probably the most likely cause.

It could be they are deliberately making their statement more scary, interesting, threatening, etc., to try to generate undue interest in the matter - which could certainly be a motive for media bidding for more readers, clicks, views, etc.

It could be just a way of belittling their target. (Very popular with politicians.)

It could be a deliberate effort to exaggerate their message in a way that they likely won't be sued for false advertising, libel or slander. (Popular with brands, like vacuum cleaners that claim to have V-6 engines and digital motors, or oxygen concentrators who claim to "make" oxygen.)

On the good side, this does allow the message receiver to ascribe any motive they wish to the speaker and give the message the proper amount of attention and respect that it deserves.

The dictionary definition of "recall" is to summon to return to, from whence it came. So in this case, clearly an over-the-air-update has nothing to do with "recall". But since the speaker has chosen that word to speak of something entirely different, the receiver is equally free to ascribe whatever motive they wish.

It is always difficult for me to determine other's motives who do peculiar things. When someone chooses to use the wrong word to speak of something, it is very difficult for me to determine their motive, if any.

It could be just that they are just stupid, which is probably the most likely cause.

It could be they are deliberately making their statement more scary, interesting, threatening, etc., to try to generate undue interest in the matter - which could certainly be a motive for media bidding for more readers, clicks, views, etc.

It could be just a way of belittling their target. (Very popular with politicians.)

It could be a deliberate effort to exaggerate their message in a way that they likely won't be sued for false advertising, libel or slander. (Popular with brands, like vacuum cleaners that claim to have V-6 engines and digital motors, or oxygen concentrators who claim to "make" oxygen.)

On the good side, this does allow the message receiver to ascribe any motive they wish to the speaker and give the message the proper amount of attention and respect that it deserves.

The dictionary definition of "recall" is to summon to return to, from whence it came. So in this case, clearly an over-the-air-update has nothing to do with "recall". But since the speaker has chosen that word to speak of something entirely different, the receiver is equally free to ascribe whatever motive they wish.
Except in this case there is a specific definition of the term recall used in the legal regulatory compliance space, which in this case is perfectly accurate. It this context both of the terms recall and defect are regulatory compliance terms, not simply literary terms.

Reactions: Zythryn
While you may term it to be just a compliance issue, in the regulatory framework and legal terminology used by NHTSA the official terminology is a defect.
Is it? NHTSA phrasology uses "safety defect" and "noncompliance" both of which trigger recalls. I only find "compliance defect" used in derivative documents.

Not that I am opposed to defect instead of issue, but the linkage to safety in the regulations makes me tend to alter word selection to reduce ambiguity.

Federal Register :: Request Access
§ 573.6 Defect and noncompliance information report. (a) Each manufacturer shall furnish a report to the NHTSA for each defect in his vehicles or in his items of original or replacement equipment that he or the Administrator determines to be related to motor vehicle safety, and for each noncompliance with a motor vehicle safety standard in such vehicles or items of equipment which either he or the Administrator determines to exist.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/mvdefectsandrecalls_808795.pdf
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act gives NHTSA the authority to issue vehicle safety standards and to require manufacturers to recall vehicles that have safety-related defects or do not meet Federal safety standards

Resources Related to Investigations and Recalls | NHTSA
Investigations
  • Defects Investigations
  • Compliance Investigations
Federal Register :: Request Access
Pursuant to the Act, motor vehicle and motor vehicle equipment manufacturers are obligated to notify, and then provide various information and documents to, NHTSA when a safety defect or noncompliance with FMVSS is identified in products they manufactured.

This all boils down to the stigma associated with Recalls. Prior to the rise in software use/dependency in cars, recalls were almost exclusively tied to mechanical safety defects. So when the headlines now only say “Tesla recalls every car ever made”, folks are alarmed until they read further. Like others have stated, the means by which the recall is addressed is irrelevant. OTA updates just make it painless for owners. Look at the Mach-E. Whatever early recalls due to the software had folks needing to go to the dealer.
Wasn’t there a recall in recent years (Porsche?) to replace the door jamb sticker due to incorrect information printed?
As usual, lots of fun options here. 😀

Reactions: mongo
This all boils down to the stigma associated with Recalls. Prior to the rise in software use/dependency in cars, recalls were almost exclusively tied to mechanical safety defects. So when the headlines now only say “Tesla recalls every car ever made”, folks are alarmed until they read further. Like others have stated, the means by which the recall is addressed is irrelevant. OTA updates just make it painless for owners. Look at the Mach-E. Whatever early recalls due to the software had folks needing to go to the dealer.
Wasn’t there a recall in recent years (Porsche?) to replace the door jamb sticker due to incorrect information printed?
As usual, lots of fun options here. 😀
Mostly, but media using 'safety defect' in a headline when the root issue is a font size (which was really a non-issue in terms of functionality since the indicator itself is larger than the text height requirement and thus perceivable which was the original intent. Which is not to say Tesla was in-spec, because they weren't and both parties delt with the issue appropriately)

Reactions: gtae07
Biggest issue seems to be the click bait Recall headlines. Misleading and makes things sound much worse than they are. If journalists published an article that Tesla is updating everyones software OTA to bring their displays into compliance, then that would be much more informative than shouting RECALL!
Many posts have an agenda to put Tesla in a bad light. Perhaps trying to slow down their amazingly successful march to convert smelly and poisonous gassers with cleaner running EVs.
Another example might be why they post (with glee) a Tesla catching fire, while ignoring a gas car doing the same thing.

Personal agendas are doing great damage to the reputation of legitimate Journalists. They are losing credibility.

Gotta keep up. Its dualling posters. One poster asking why NHTSA never caught the non compliance in all of Tesla history. The other saying they were at one time compliant but speculating they became uncompliant with a recent change.

However, this specific very narrow speculative narrative really is a waste of time.
Oh I'm caught up, but didn't see the posters as sides, versus Tesla v NHTSA. Anyone can go measure (if they have a Tesla). However, getting older generation graphics is more difficult unless @verygreen has archived copies. He posted the image assets, so even measuring the updated icons would allow back calculating text size.

Original kick off:
But the thing that surprises me the most is that the NHTSA only discovered this after about 12 years of production. If this is truly a "safety" issue, why was it not discovered before?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Reactions: brainhouston