Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85D rear motor failure, is this a known problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 P85D started making a noise, I brought it in to Tesla and they diagnosed it with a rear motor failure. They want $6,800 to repair it . Is this a known problem ? Is Tesla covering this as a recall in any situations?
The car is 9 years old and off warranty, I have about 86,000 miles on it.
John

Everything I've read is that it's definitely a known problem and Tesla definitely isn't covering it.

Personally, I'd make sure any replacement is the latest version(I think that's "U") which will hopefully take care of it and I'd definitely investigate a used motor and independent shops.

Reactions: David Harvey
My 2014 P85D started making a noise, I brought it in to Tesla and they diagnosed it with a rear motor failure. They want $6,800 to repair it . Is this a known problem ? Is Tesla covering this as a recall in any situations?
The car is 9 years old and off warranty, I have about 86,000 miles on it.
John
Tesla likely charging you $6800 to replace, not repair/rebuild. They will replace with either a reman or new. Both come with a 4 yr/50k warranty.

I just had mine proactively replaced with a new (not reman) Tesla "U" version seal delete manifold. AKA coolant delete.

In my research, 3rd party shops were almost as expensive as Tesla to repair/rebuild and offered at best a 1 year warranty. So I opted to pay a few extra bucks to Tesla. I was also lucky to keep the old drive unit with no core charge and recoup some money by reselling the old DU.

Since it looks like you're in Raleigh, if you want to try local, Bernard Tripp of Autohaus Lake Norman is a very knowledgable 3rd party. Tell Mr. Tripp I sent you.

1st pic is Tesla reman and new quotes. You'll see there's a $800 difference. 2d pic is my new DU.

3rd pic is what the U version does. I am not 100% sure because Tesla doesn't say by fairly sure it's what called "coolant delete" by 3rd party repair professionals. Basically the first stage (rotor) is totally bypassed. Stator, gear box and inverter still get cooling. Rotor is bypassed because since day one coolant has leaked thru the seals causing damage. 422939937_10231517927507182_8631577451389352406_n (1).jpg422586540_10231545037264909_7400517306544771774_n.jpgCoolant Delete.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: David Harvey
Tesla likely charging you $6800 to replace, not repair/rebuild. They will replace with either a reman or new. Both come with a 4 yr/50k warranty.

I just had mine proactively replaced with a new (not reman) Tesla "U" version seal delete manifold. AKA coolant delete.

In my research, 3rd party shops were almost as expensive as Tesla to repair/rebuild and offered at best a 1 year warranty. So I opted to pay a few extra bucks to Tesla. I was also lucky to keep the old drive unit with no core charge and recoup some money by reselling the old DU.

Since it looks like you're in Raleigh, if you want to try local, Bernard Tripp of Autohaus Lake Norman is a very knowledgable 3rd party. Tell Mr. Tripp I sent you.

1st pic is Tesla reman and new quotes. You'll see there's a $800 difference. 2d pic is my new DU.

3rd pic is what the U version does. I am not 100% sure because Tesla doesn't say by fairly sure it's what called "coolant delete" by 3rd party repair professionals. Basically the first stage (rotor) is totally bypassed. Stator, gear box and inverter still get cooling. Rotor is bypassed because since day one coolant has leaked thru the seals causing damage.View attachment 1027034View attachment 1027035View attachment 1027036
Thank you very much that was very helpful, I was hoping Tesla would recognize this as a design issue and start covering the cost but so far it does not look like they are.

Reactions: NV Ray
Thank you very much that was very helpful, I was hoping Tesla would recognize this as a design issue and start covering the cost but so far it does not look like they are.
Besides the longer warranty, two other reasons I opted for Tesla - (1) ease of multitude of Tesla Service Centers if I had a warranty issue and (2) 3rd parties will likely rebuild/repair taking several days. Not an issue if you can be without your car for the time needed. Tesla was a quick half day.

But that was just me. You can decide for yourself.

Bonjour je possède une p85d 2015 je le moteur arrière désactivé ok pour conduire qui c’est affiché j’ai rendez-vous le 3 avril au concessionnaire pour un diagnostic. Quelqu’un peut me dire si c’est lui déjà arrivé. Et est-ce que à votre avis c’est une panne moteur ou quelque chose d’autre merci je roule toujours avec la voiture je travaille avec je voulais savoir si c’est pas trop dangereux de continuer à conduire sachant que j’ai pas de perte de compte de puissance. Merci

Bonjour je possède une p85d 2015 je le moteur arrière désactivé ok pour conduire qui c’est affiché j’ai rendez-vous le 3 avril au concessionnaire pour un diagnostic. Quelqu’un peut me dire si c’est lui déjà arrivé. Et est-ce que à votre avis c’est une panne moteur ou quelque chose d’autre merci je roule toujours avec la voiture je travaille avec je voulais savoir si c’est pas trop dangereux de continuer à conduire sachant que j’ai pas de perte de compte de puissance. Merci
It is probably a rear engine failure, most cars that year and model are seeing this fail due to a serious design flaw, fluid leaks into the motor. I would not drive mine with the noise it was making but since you disabled it I am not sure if driving is safe. I hope someone else can answer that. Repair is about $7000