Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D LDU failure leak past rotor coolant delete by QCC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish I had noticed issues with large drive unit earlier, but now out of warranty issue. 2/15 P85D 70988 miles.
$8022 to replace rear drive due to “moisture past RDU cover”. I am guessing it is the coolant past rotor seal failure. My questions: can I ask for my drive unit from Tesla once they replace it? Has anyone done the coolant delete fix from QC charge ($599)? Did Tesla ever have recall or fix for said issue? I honestly can’t believe there hasn’t been a class action. Thanks for your replies.

If Rev U does get a power Nerfing firmware, Tesla will certainly be keeping this as quiet as possible so the certainly won't write 'installed power-limiting firmware to LDU control to offset our new design compromise'. A couple of members have reported buying a Rev U over the counter. I wonder if Tesla asked for them to bring the car in to update any software? What parameters are able to be coded onboard at the inverter?

Upvote 0
I'm so concerned about this issue. I'm well out of warranty on my P85 but so far, I have not had this issue. The one question that has not been addressed is what happens if you get QC Charge to install the Dextron VI Oil Tank and the oil pump to provide a long term solution (but later the oil leaks into the LDU)? On their website, it says that eventually all units will have rotor seal leaks either with the original coolant or the oil coolant. Eventually, when all the oil leaks through the rotor seal, you are basically left with the same coolant delete fix. What is needed to fix the leaking of either oil or coolant? Will this be a continual maintenance issue to fix the seals to keep the oil leaking into the LDU? Below is directly from the QC Charge website:

Using oil cooling method will require additional parts, at extra cost (oil pump from Tesla Model 3/Y, coolant tank, radiator, and hoses and fittings)
which will provide the following benefits:

a. Actual cooling of the rotor!

b. When the rotor seal leaks (and it will leak, eventually), Dextron VI or 212B is benign to the LDU. It won’t destroy the stator, it won’t seize and rust the rotor, and it won’t short out the inverter.

c. No fatal failures!!! If all the Dextron VI or 212B leaked out, you would just have a “coolant delete” motor!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just stumbled on this issue as it was casually mentioned in another forum on FB. I have a 2018 MXP that is currently under the DU and HV battery warranty. I had planned on keeping this car for as long as possible, but it sounds like I have a ticking time bomb on my hands. Is a coolant delete the best option, other than selling the car and getting something else?

Upvote 0
Rotor seal leak issue. Can the seal be replaced periodically, say every 20k miles or 2 years, whichever comes first, and Im just throwing in a number, just to ensure prevention of catastrophic LDU leakage?
You could. But you’ll be in for a ton of work(read: $$$&time). Like those that replace their 12v battery on a schedule and not when the car starts complaining.

Upvote 0
Rotor seal leak issue. Can the seal be replaced periodically, say every 20k miles or 2 years, whichever comes first, and Im just throwing in a number, just to ensure prevention of catastrophic LDU leakage?

Problem is not just the seal. Its the worn shaft seal surface. If don't properly refinish surface (quite challenging and appears Tesla doesn't do it). Seal has no chance to last.

Reactions: asavage
Upvote 0
I was confused about ‘with or without rotor loop’.
it can be installed with or without rotor cooling, and I'd just like to hear anyone who has done this either way (bypass without cooling, or bypass with dextron cooling loop added).

1709264625744.png

Upvote 0
Has anyone installed the QCCharge bypass (Coolant Delete)?
Yes. Ordered mine from Tony (QCCharge) and had it installed by Quan (Maryland). Thats about all I can add to the conversation unfortunately as I've only had the Model S for about a month and about a week was at the shop. Fortunately the news from Quan was that the LDU was looking OK (no leak). Here's to hoping I wont run into the issue down the road. I think the fix hasnt been out long enough to have enough data on it yet.

I got the "COOLANT-DELETE-LARGE-DRIVE-UNIT" (which is on QCCharge website) and the "TESLA LDU INVERTER COVER WITH STORM DRAIN", which at the time of this writing is not yet on their website.

Attachments

• 428833753_388851820541869_8266534721649861568_n.jpg
    428833753_388851820541869_8266534721649861568_n.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0
The claim would be they know there is an issue, that can be fixed, but no fix has been offered and no preventive measures have been suggested even at owners expense to prevent major damage and immense cost and loss of value as well as good will. I was a huge supporter, helped sell a few Teslas to friends. Now, Not so sure. I have never owned an ICE that didn’t get 100k+ on engine and transmission.
I totally agree with you, they should stand behind their product and offer to replace these, Mercedes had a design problem with their ABS brake system and did a recall to repair any failures up to 10 years and 100,000 miles. That is what a company that wants to keep their customers does.

Upvote 0
The claim would be they know there is an issue, that can be fixed, but no fix has been offered and no preventive measures have been suggested even at owners expense to prevent major damage and immense cost and loss of value as well as good will. I was a huge supporter, helped sell a few Teslas to friends. Now, Not so sure. I have never owned an ICE that didn’t get 100k+ on engine and transmission.
I agree and think we should set a class action into motion, if that is not allowed then we should go to arbitration, does anyone know how to proceed on either option?

Upvote 0
I originally had my LDU repaired at QC Charge in Nov 2022, due to a wet speed sensor. The LDU or other components had not failed.
At the time, "Coolant Delete" was not available. The motor was rebuilt with new bearings, the sub-frame was reinforced, the single flange seal was replaced with a triple flange seal, and a "drain kit" was added to the LDU in case of future leaks and failures. I paid $5,500 for this service, with a 12 month warranty, waiting (and not driving my car) four months to get into their shop.

11 months later, in October 2023, I checked the speed sensor and it was wet, but no LDU damage.
I spoke with Tony at QC Charge. He said he would honor his warranty, but I had to pay for parts for the new "coolant delete" option, costing ~$650 after tax.

When receiving the car back on a quick 1 to 2 day turnaround, the passenger side rear suspension was bottomed out, less than 5 minutes after driving away from his garage. When I called to inquire the next day, Tony said that they didn't touch the suspension, and it was not his fault.
After bottoming out on several driveways and pot holes, I didn't drive my car for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, I was able to get into a Tesla Service Center. They charged $250 to fix a ride height sensor that was installed incorrectly by QC Charge.
When I called Tony, I received $250 compensation two weeks later.
With the suspension fixed, I went on an 800 mile road trip, with no issues with the drive unit.
In the end, I spent $6,150, and now have a rebuilt LDU with coolant delete, and a reinforced sub-frame.

Upvote 0