Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LDU failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
after two weeks and a slew of BMS messages that would come on and then go, get finally went into limp mode on Wednesday. Took the car to Tesla yesteday thinking based on the bms codes it was going to be the coolant heater. Nope there’s moisture in the LDU which was replaced 40,000 miles ago (about 2 years) now Tesla wants $8200 to repair it with a reman LDU. They said it would come with a 4 year 50K warranty. But it’s a tough pill to swallow on a 9 year old car that I feel like what will be next. (The HV was replaced a year and a half ago and it’s a 90kw pack)
Trying to decide what to do. Have it rebuilt for $5k but have to wait 3 months to get it in. Pay the $8200 to Tesla and pray nothing else goes wrong. Or scrap the car and see if I can sell it basically for the battery alone.
What have yall done. I know LDU failure is quite common unfortunately. (I’m currently waiting in tesla to let me know if the DU they want to put in there has the coolant delete so it won’t happen again. It’s a different part # than the one from two years ago. One in the car now ends in T and they want to put one in ending in U. (2014 P85D with software locked 90kw pack)

-U is the coolant delete version
sounds like u got lucky with 'new' 90kwh pack but confirm if its 350v, then ur solid on battery n -U LDU if u go that route
thats the 2 high priced items in the car

only other cheaper solution could be getting a good used LDU n doing DIY coolant delete...
Unfortunate that it seems Tesla raised the price on LDU...

-U is the coolant delete version
sounds like u got lucky with 'new' 90kwh pack but confirm if its 350v, then ur solid on battery n -U LDU if u go that route
thats the 2 high priced items in the car

only other cheaper solution could be getting a good used LDU n doing DIY coolant delete...
Unfortunate that it seems Tesla raised the price on LDU...
The LDU is “only” $5200. There was also an HV harness for $995 and $1800 in labor. I did confirm with them that it was in fact a NEW 90 pack back in July 2022. How do I confirm it’s 350v? I don’t have the car as it’s at tesla and I assume hv disconnected because I can’t connect anymore at all to it.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, a unit of energy.

It isn't measured in "kw". kW is a unit of power and a totally different metric than kWh.

That said, yours isn't the first I've heard of this and I often scoff at people boast and make claims about EV longevity. Just because the drivetrain is simpler doesn't mean the vehicle is more reliable than a known reliable ICEV. Keeping Teslas for much beyond drive unit and HV pack warranty is a financial gamble.

I recently proactively replaced my LDU in my 2012 P85. Proactively replacing RDU/LDU

If you got the $5200 quote then that's for a reman. I paid the extra $800 and got a new one. Comparing to a gas car, the way I looked at it I got a 2023 new motor and transmission for $6k. That's a bargain.

Based on my research, the cost of most 3rd party rebuilds are very close to what Tesla charges for their RDU/LDU REMANS if not close to NEW. Further, most, if any, 3rd parties do not match Tesla's 4 year/50k mile warranty. And in this infancy of EV 3rd party repair, there's no guarantee that 3rd party will be in business vs Tesla being in business.

Lastly, if I had any issues, I can get serviced at the nearest Tesla Service Center. With 3rd party, I'd be tied to sending my car back to them. I'm getting a late 2023 built RDU/LDU "U" version with all the advantages tied to that.

422586540_10231545037264909_7400517306544771774_n.jpg422939937_10231517927507182_8631577451389352406_n (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: maximizese
Hi @Alysashley79 ,
I have just had my LDU start to fail making noise. I will be posting about my experience within the next few days as I am waiting for my car to be transported back to me from a 3rd party repair shop.
My 2013 Model S 85 was just quoted $8500 for a reman LDU by Tesla, and that is the same they offered as trade-in value which became a wash.
Where do you reside?

Hi @Alysashley79 ,
I have just had my LDU start to fail making noise. I will be posting about my experience within the next few days as I am waiting for my car to be transported back to me from a 3rd party repair shop.
My 2013 Model S 85 was just quoted $8500 for a reman LDU by Tesla, and that is the same they offered as trade-in value which became a wash.
Where do you reside?
I’m in Seattle area. We ended up repairing with reman unit part 01-U along with hv cables that were corroded from the coolant that had made its way I side.

Reactions: Thomias