Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dielectric coolant in model S to save LDU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm aware the the LDU's are plagued with coolant leakage issues. It seems its not a matter of IF they will fail but WHEN they will fail. I have read over many modification threads on how to stop the leaking and corrosion but what if the G48 coolant was replaced with dielectric coolant. Engineered fluids makes a dielectric coolant specifically for electric vehicles. I have looked over the viscosity charts and cooling properties and looks like a good candidate for saving drive units. With a dielectric fluid would you even have to worry about it seeping into the inverter or rotor. It would still obviously leak the the G48 does but it would not corrode any electronics. Has anyone tested this yet?

Reactions: shawndh1
Would that coolant suffice or exceed the needs of other components that rely on the coolant itself
The coolant is about 80% as efficient as the g48 used in the cars as standard for specific heat, however it can dissipate heat at a greater rate then the coolant used. Unplugged performance use this coolant in their track built plaid if that says anything about it. I'm surprised its not a more common thing to use.

It would be helpful if Tesla would do some endurance testing with this modified coolant in a fleet to see if there is any significant difference in performance and longevity. Perhaps they have done it, probably not, but it would great if we had an insider to shed some light on the issue.