Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS or MX plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Debating between a MX or MS Plaid. Currently driving a 2020 MSP with 21"s FSD etc.... It has 75K miles. Concerned about not having warranty (I could get Xcare) but looking to get back into a new one especially with the FSD Transfer option. Have an option of a Blue/black19" MS Plaid "demo" with 180 miles or a MX Blue/black 20" new. Pricing is similar (MX is a little more). MX a little more practical and different but I still like the MS look and feel. MS is yoke, MX is regular wheel (which I prefer).

Practical side of me thinks MX is the better option plus it is a change. Concerned about all the Falcon door "issues" (plus a somewhat cluttered garage). MS feels more nimble (likely no real difference). Taller car is easier (not getting any younger).

Just asking for opinions. I am considering non tesla options as well (iX M60 and Rivian R1T).

Have the iX, it's plenty fast and actually gets a chunk more range than you think. Plus sides, it's got laugh out loud better build quality and materials (like... well... like a high end bmw really, and you forget what that is like!). Handling is better, nvh is better. Downsides, a few. Charging. Not tesla experience and numbers of sites. Tech stack. Electrochromic roof is irritating. I also have the model X Plaid. Plus points... speed is jaw dropping. Horrifying. Charging experience is the best available. Tech stack is good. Downsides... build quality is a joke. Material quality is a joke. Burning up in the glass bubble idiotic greenhouse gets old fast. 6 seats for plaid is good and bad. Falcon doors are fun. But questionable reliability. Integration of the car is better in some ways, and sometimes pointlessly over integrated and a worse experience. Try finding the glove box easily for instance..No physical controls. No parking sensors. Vision sensor replqcement for inexpensive ultrasonic sensors are frankly a dangerous pathetic embarassment. Windscreen wipers.. well we all know vision based systems are a joke..

That said I love both cars in different ways. Recommend you test drive both the Sand the X. If the missus didn't want the X, I would have been happy with the smaller S, as it handles better albeit overpriced and old design though it be.

Concerned about all the Falcon door "issues" (plus a somewhat cluttered garage)
I am going on 6 years and never had any issues with the falcon wing doors. I wasn’t particularly a fan of them when we first got the car, but I am now. They are so practical and useful when I need to transport things, which I have done a lot of lately. Also I was easily able to park in my mother’s one car garage, that I find quite small, and the FWDs open completely. It was only the regular doors I had to be somewhat careful of.
AB32E1B9-529C-489D-8CC4-8168223D2A97.jpeg
F59BA2F3-9153-4964-BBD3-487D9469EFD4.jpegD975DFA7-4F29-4EB8-A761-677C72ACA597.jpegA39A2784-76B5-40DD-B535-1BDE383FD9AC.jpeg

I’ve owned the following Tesla vehicles:

2015 Model S P85D
2020 Model 3 Performance
2021 Model Y Performance
2021 Model S Plaid
2022 Model X Plaid
2023 Model X Plaid

The Model S Plaid is amazing. The acceleration should not be legal. I don’t understand how the Roadster will be faster than this thing

The Model X Plaid does not have the same punch as the S, but it still feels unreal. It never stops pulling.

I almost got another Model S Plaid instead of the 2023 Model X, but I test drove one and I can’t stand it! I am so spoiled by the X. The windshield and visibility makes it feel like you are driving some sort of helicopter spaceship thing. The automatic doors with soft-close are amazing. FWD are super cool. It just feels like you are getting your moneys worth. The price is nearly identical. Get the X

Right now the difference is

MS plaid 180 miles Yoke Steering
MX Plaid New Round Steering wheel

Difference is less than $1K between both (X is more but if I swap for round sw they are the same). Im used to the MS and really still like the way it looks but would not mind switching it up. No offense to anyone here but MX gives me the Mom Mobile vibe (even in plaid form). Range is not the end of the world but having +/- 400 miles is nice.

Need to see if I can take the X on an overnight demo to test in garage etc...

Thoughts?

Right now the difference is

MS plaid 180 miles Yoke Steering
MX Plaid New Round Steering wheel

Difference is less than $1K between both (X is more but if I swap for round sw they are the same). Im used to the MS and really still like the way it looks but would not mind switching it up. No offense to anyone here but MX gives me the Mom Mobile vibe (even in plaid form). Range is not the end of the world but having +/- 400 miles is nice.

Need to see if I can take the X on an overnight demo to test in garage etc...

Thoughts?
This is actually quite simple. If you have a family get the X,

Just you, get the S.

Reactions: EbS-P
We had a 3 and a Y and took advantage of the fsd transfer to a X Plaid. If you’re thinking about a X with 6 seats, the difference in price to getting a X plaid is minimal. I opted for the 20 inch rims to keep as much range and a steering wheel since the yoke was too jarring of a change and we’d be alternating between the X and the Y depending on who was dropping off the kid. The falcon wing doors is a game changer- makes getting the kid in and out a breeze compared to the 3 or y. It feels a lot roomier compared to the Y. Now Just waiting for a software update that will re-enable fsd beta on gen 4 equipped vehicles.

Reactions: RyanC1384
It's really difficult decision. As much as I like the S more than the X, but I ended up switching from S to X. As other mentioned, it depends on your lifestyle. My decision in only by small different. X 50.5% and S 49.5%.
Same story for me - was 2 days from dwlivery of the S Plaid and switched over to the X Plaid. Don’t love the design as much, but it just works for our family / daily driver better. 2 kids and the wife = we need space and comfort!