Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With poor reliability ratings, used Model S prices are going to have to drop or Tesla will have to increase the warranty.
Non-CPO cars will be the ones most affected, as the warranty that comes with CPO cars is a key selling point. Private party and third party cars need to be discounted accordingly.

Hopefully around the time the 8-year battery and drive unit warranties start expiring, there will arise independent repair shops capable of fixing them. Or Tesla will get the repair costs down. This will need to happen sooner or later for the Model 3, anyway.

to add to what everyone else is saying - this isn't a "normal" car like a Honda or Toyota. It's a luxury car with tons of bells and whistles which are more than likely to break like other high end luxury cars. the 4 year/50k warranty should help you sleep at night but if not then maybe this isn't the car for you.

Perhaps, but where I was ready to jump on a few CPO deals, now I'm not anymore. Reliability issues on a MY 2013 are scary and an unknown for a "normal" buyer like me. CR is even more damning because they think MY 2015 has even more issues.

to add to what everyone else is saying - this isn't a "normal" car like a Honda or Toyota. It's a luxury car with tons of bells and whistles which are more than likely to break like other high end luxury cars. the 4 year/50k warranty should help you sleep at night but if not then maybe this isn't the car for you.

Right. I'm going with the new Volt. You may laugh but now that it looks like a Civic and has enough range to cover my daily commute 2.5 times and is ridiculously cheap with deals and incentives, it's turning into a quasi Tesla killer... At least until Model III.

Right. I'm going with the new Volt. You may laugh but now that it looks like a Civic and has enough range to cover my daily commute 2.5 times and is ridiculously cheap with deals and incentives, it's turning into a quasi Tesla killer... At least until Model III.

Volt is a great car and a great choice. I saved enough on my Volt lease and fuel to buy my Model S*

*ok, not really, but it was fun to say.

This was by far the longest thread I've ever read on any forum! I started reading it a week ago and just finished today and at the end, I was a little surprised the last post was on the 23rd, six days ago! It seemed like this thread was one that was destined to live on forever with so many people rapturously watching the Tesla CPO site and Hank's ev-cpo.com site (me included) and posting about what they found and the many speculations on where CPO prices would go. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading the thread; it was like a book I had to reluctantly put down every so often and get work done or curl up at night before bed. And when it came to an end, I couldn't believe it.

it was highly entertaining with so many people's insightful comments and celebrations of those who joined the Tesla family. I learned a lot, too, to help me on my journey to Tesla ownership someday (hopefully in the next 4 months or so, waiting to see if any end of year deals will be forthcoming). Thanks to those who participated and I hope this thread doesn't ever end because that means the CPO program is still around!

I think CPO "stock" hasn't refilled as expected since X deliveries aren't happening as quickly as some would hope, so it has tempered the activity here. I'm sure there will be an uptick at some point.

I did wonder about the drop in Tesla inventory as displayed on ev-cpo.com. I seem to remember seeing over 300 cars at one point on there maybe a month ago and now it barely brushes the 200 mark on occasion. Is inventory really that low or is Tesla throttling the amount of cars available?

- - - Updated - - -

I would expect the end of the referral program might trigger more CPO activity and possibly increase in prices.

Ugh... I've been struggling with whether to get a new 70D before the incentive goes away today or hedge my bets and wait a couple of months. Sigh... My inactivity might decide for me as the incentive clock ticks down.

I don't think so, a used model s will have to compete with a new model 3 plus with a possible refresh of the s, I see prices coming down more. At least, I hope so.

Model 3 deliveries won't start until 2017....a cpo model s with 4 year warranty will still be far superior car to a new model 3. model will have limited range and power. Its like comparing a new BMW 1 series with a CPO BMW 5 series (but full 4 year warranty). Totally different buyer segment.

I did wonder about the drop in Tesla inventory as displayed on ev-cpo.com. I seem to remember seeing over 300 cars at one point on there maybe a month ago and now it barely brushes the 200 mark on occasion. Is inventory really that low or is Tesla throttling the amount of cars available?

I think it's a bit of both. By Tesla artificially limiting how many CPOs we can see (vs. the back end system the sales team can see), we have no insight into how many or few Teslas are being turned in. It is possible there has been a slowdown in trade-ins while it's just as possible there has been an uptick. Either way, at this time, Tesla isn't intent on pushing through the inventory of CPOs. It's still happening, and somewhat steadily moving, which may be exactly what they want.

I think it's a bit of both. By Tesla artificially limiting how many CPOs we can see (vs. the back end system the sales team can see), we have no insight into how many or few Teslas are being turned in. It is possible there has been a slowdown in trade-ins while it's just as possible there has been an uptick. Either way, at this time, Tesla isn't intent on pushing through the inventory of CPOs. It's still happening, and somewhat steadily moving, which may be exactly what they want.

So in other words they are controlling the price they set for CPO...

Are they considering offering extended warranty for CPO's yet? Any update on that?

So in other words they are controlling the price they set for CPO...

Are they considering offering extended warranty for CPO's yet? Any update on that?

Last I checked, still a no-go on the extended warranty and last week I asked again about my service records. I was told sure and got a copy of only the records since I bought the car, not any history on the car :(

Last I checked, still a no-go on the extended warranty and last week I asked again about my service records. I was told sure and got a copy of only the records since I bought the car, not any history on the car :(

Yes, these two "issues" are what have prevented me from putting deposits on a CPO so far but I also do know from reading this forum that many people have been super happy about their CPO purchase without asking for either. Speaking of, how goes it for your saga with some of the issues you encountered Cyclone? Hope Teslas supposed impeccable service has righted the wrongs for you.

Yes, these two "issues" are what have prevented me from putting deposits on a CPO so far but I also do know from reading this forum that many people have been super happy about their CPO purchase without asking for either. Speaking of, how goes it for your saga with some of the issues you encountered Cyclone? Hope Teslas supposed impeccable service has righted the wrongs for you.

All of my concerns have been addressed. Tesla and I disagreed on one thing, but it has been addressed at this point and I'm just moving on. My car has been amazing and my local service center is still fantastic. They've had to tweak a few things on my car and it has been continued to be a stellar experience to work with them.

Model 3 deliveries won't start until 2017....a cpo model s with 4 year warranty will still be far superior car to a new model 3. model will have limited range and power. Its like comparing a new BMW 1 series with a CPO BMW 5 series (but full 4 year warranty). Totally different buyer segment.

I disagree.

I 2018 Model 3 will have newer tech. Elon says 5% or more improvement per year in battery tech. It'll weigh 20% less so a smaller battery will take it just as far and accelerate faster for the same motor power / torque.

I think you'll find for those reasons a 2018 Model 3 will trounce a 2015 model S in most stats. Enough so that quite a few Model S owners will trade in creating a greater supply pushing down Model S prices (at least the older Model S years).

A 2106 or 2017 Model S might compare better to a 2018 Model 3 but it still won't be a clean sweep. The smaller size/weight of the 3 will be a plus for many buyers (parking space/garage size, inner city driving, European old cities).

I'll agree it is a different market segment but I think some of the advantages of the Model 3 will pull people away from the Model S even if the price tag is lower.