Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my understanding, the screen are different. The pixel count is slightly different. I think I read it in this thread.
screens are 100% the same (and yes, I plugged mcu1 screens into MCU2s after I broke MCU2 screen accidentally and it works just fine). Touch countroller may or may not be different depending on mcu2 age.

Can you elaborate, what makes you think that? Why can't he be just saying these to get more money for his "future" products?
Because over the years not everything he says even has an upside, like promoting "you can buy a Tesla in 5 minutes or less on your cell phone, and return it for a full refund within 7 days", no real upside, but showing he doesn't live in the real world where the majority of people don't have $100K loose change floating around to buy a car on their cell phone like that. Taking a loan, even if you could do it in 5 minutes doesn't count by the way, because you can't 100% refund the loan. If you have a tradein, Tesla doesn't keep it for 7 days either to give it back to you if you want your money back. Oh, they don't take credit cards as a full payment for a Tesla (I asked, they wouldn't let me). So basically just a guy disconnected from reality, thinking everyone is a billionaire so building a product easy to use for billionaires, or at least millionaires. Explains other things too, like being surprised that cars last longer than cellphones recently - as a billionaire I'm sure he swaps cars as often as cellphones. Even though he admitted on Twitter that cars last much longer than phones, he STILL is trying to turn Tesla cars into cell phones, rather than integrate with actual cellphones which customers can swap more often than cars. Oh, let's not forget Elon's delusions about every Tesla with FSD becoming worth $225K this year. The guy is truly out there (even the fanboys don't believe him anymore, except for the really dedicated keyboard warriors, but they are not willing to bet their money that Elon is right either).

Because over the years not everything he says even has an upside, like promoting "you can buy a Tesla in 5 minutes or less on your cell phone, and return it for a full refund within 7 days", no real upside, but showing he doesn't live in the real world where the majority of people don't have $100K loose change floating around to buy a car on their cell phone like that. Taking a loan, even if you could do it in 5 minutes doesn't count by the way, because you can't 100% refund the loan. If you have a tradein, Tesla doesn't keep it for 7 days either to give it back to you if you want your money back. Oh, they don't take credit cards as a full payment for a Tesla (I asked, they wouldn't let me). So basically just a guy disconnected from reality, thinking everyone is a billionaire so building a product easy to use for billionaires, or at least millionaires. Explains other things too, like being surprised that cars last longer than cellphones recently - as a billionaire I'm sure he swaps cars as often as cellphones. Even though he admitted on Twitter that cars last much longer than phones, he STILL is trying to turn Tesla cars into cell phones, rather than integrate with actual cellphones which customers can swap more often than cars. Oh, let's not forget Elon's delusions about every Tesla with FSD becoming worth $225K this year. The guy is truly out there (even the fanboys don't believe him anymore, except for the really dedicated keyboard warriors, but they are not willing to bet their money that Elon is right either).

I'd argue that it is to make the purchase and return look much easier than it really is, so some customers will buy without looking for defects or a test drive, then get stuck. As returning is difficult, there is a high chance customer will just keep it, even with minor defects or dissatisfaction. This also saves some money in test drive/sales agent hours.
I don't think you can conclude that he doesn't know how the car purchase works after being a CEO of a car company for many years. If it was his intent to make the return really easy, Tesla wouldn't have the "no Tesla for you for 1 year if you return" policy.

But thanks for explaining your reasoning.

Did you mention this in your rant:
5EF1B42A-D36D-4028-A7C5-4B6D8BAF1E26.jpeg

View attachment 497827

There's alot of things he have said/wrote, but seemingly a mere percentage of it is real...
I like Elon Musk in a lot of ways, but I think it's borders with scam/fraud if he don't deliver on said promises/statements/guarantees, etc...

But in a weird way, it is okay, because it's Tesla and Elon Musk, according to people.

Can you imagine how this would be if it where the CEO of Ford, Chevrolet or anybody else?

My reasoning on this is that he should be hold accountable for all this statements/promises, and deliver.

My thoughts are that I think Musk want this things to happen, and he his head moves to fast for the real world and his engineering team.

But in another way, if you see on other things he said on Twitter that Tesla implemented it happened fast/within a couple of updates.

So that can make you wonder if it will happen at all...

• Love
Reactions: am_dmd and croman
I'd argue that it is to make the purchase and return look much easier than it really is, so some customers will buy without looking for defects or a test drive, then get stuck. As returning is difficult, there is a high chance customer will just keep it, even with minor defects or dissatisfaction. This also saves some money in test drive/sales agent hours.
I don't think you can conclude that he doesn't know how the car purchase works after being a CEO of a car company for many years. If it was his intent to make the return really easy, Tesla wouldn't have the "no Tesla for you for 1 year if you return" policy.

But thanks for explaining your reasoning.
How to you explain Elon wanting to build a cell-phone-on-wheels instead of leveraging actual cell phones for apps? Is it his evil plan to make cars obsolete after 4 years like cell phones (yes, driving even a 2017 Tesla today is like using an old iPhone, it still runs latest software but slow and missing features), or did he just not realize cars last longer then cell phones? If the latter, as you say "as a CEO of car company for many years" he should have known that, no?

So either he is evil out to screw everyone, or he's just ignorant. Yea, possible he is just pure evil, but personally I try to no attribute malice to things which can be explained by simple ignorance, lazyness, or plain stupidity of people. Most, if not all, of Elon's bad actions can be explained by one, or a combination of those.

Last edited:
View attachment 497827
So many bigger things Elon missed, including things he actually sold to people (e.g. he sold me a massive hp upgrade for $25K, then delivered less than 10% of it, no refunds, but for another $5K I got an additional 10%). Post listing all of Elon's broken promises would exceed maximum post length on TMC many times over ;)

Looks like this thread is dormant again for the next year. Elon did his usual thing drop a bomb in twitter and fade into darkness. Hell be back this summer with another tweet from his alternate reality to get this thread going again. Prolly something along the lines of how long Tesla's last and how great it is to be able upgrade components and achieving FSD. Hopefully by then it won't matter and there will be aftermarket solutions

IF your service center really would do it then it's pretty easy for them. Toolbox has a function to copy out the old data from your existing MCU then they do the hardware swap of the MCU and the IC, or maybe you have to do this part, not sure how far they are bending for you. Once the hardware is in the gateway gets updated and the configs pushed on to the new MCU. I am probably missing a few things in here still but that's the long and short of it. If they do indeed perform the swap for you let us know! I'm sure just about everyone from this thread will be swarming them to get it done

Well, Sadly, as with others, I was told no. The service Center actually called Fremont and spoke to them there, and apparently Fremont basically said that if they found that it had happened to a car, they would blacklist it so that it would no longer receive updates, or supercharge. So I have to wait.

It was clear that they wanted to do it and were quite confused about the answer they received. It was also clear that others are asking too.

This shouldn't be so hard.

Looks like this thread is dormant again for the next year. Elon did his usual thing drop a bomb in twitter and fade into darkness. Hell be back this summer with another tweet from his alternate reality to get this thread going again. Prolly something along the lines of how long Tesla's last and how great it is to be able upgrade components and achieving FSD. Hopefully by then it won't matter and there will be aftermarket solutions

It cost me about $10000 to order FSD when I include the cost for Autopilot, which was required at the time. That's enough to replace the MCU and still show a profit pretty easily. I wish they'd just do what's right here.

Reactions: bollar
I
It cost me about $10000 to order FSD when I include the cost for Autopilot, which was required at the time. That's enough to replace the MCU and still show a profit pretty easily. I wish they'd just do what's right here.

Yea I don't think mcu1 ap2.5 cars are gonna see FSD or HW3 for a while, at least a year. AP 2.0 even longer. They will just ignore us since we gave them an interest free loan. With Y and the truck and semi coming out. Why should they care about us

Well, Sadly, as with others, I was told no. The service Center actually called Fremont and spoke to them there, and apparently Fremont basically said that if they found that it had happened to a car, they would blacklist it so that it would no longer receive updates, or supercharge. So I have to wait.

It was clear that they wanted to do it and were quite confused about the answer they received. It was also clear that others are asking too.

This shouldn't be so hard.

That's questionable from a legal perspective if they have the right to do that.

I mean if you have root then who cares about updates as you can do that yourself at that point. But to block supercharging is a completely absurd thing to do.

It seems like the answer to this question varies by SC and by which engineer they get to talk to. I've heard of others being FAR more accommodating.

Tesla really needs to get their s*#$t together on this. For AP2+ it's dead simple and mobile service could do it in a few hours.