Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is correct. Stone told me today that delivery dates had NOT been posted for Australia as there was "still a lot of things to be determined" before these can be assessed. From VIN numbers that I have seen, these mean nothing in terms of build order. Some HK orders have VINS more or less in the same range as mine but were confirmed back in Feb or March. They obviously reserved a block of them for RHD.

Did he give you any idea what those things were?

New premises would seem to be a big one and if it needs a Development Approval for any modifications/fit out that will take many months to have in place.

I seriously doubt they would delay the launch of the Model S by that many months simply because they couldn't get a spot to get them delivered. Even if they did need permits, they could just rent a bigger warehouse than the one they have now?

Im currently in California and by chance met someone who works at Tesla. I was told that the first few "for delivery" RHD cars were just recently finished and that there are several test cars currently going through the line to ensure things are set up correctly. They then said the RHD cars are due to be manufactured after their work with the test cars "shortly". I'm unsure if there is any Tesla sensitivity around such conversations, so will leave all info about the person, their role/location private.

UPDATE: I was told today that my car has yet to be started (i.e., the body has yet to be built, which takes about 1 1/2 days). Apparently there has been 1 customer car delivered to HK, but all the RHD cars currently on the line are test/demo cars. We didn't discuss UK, but this tells me there must be enough difference in UK and APAC cars to warrant further build testing. No estimate was given as to a build date and the person I spoke with was unsure if cars would arrive via boat or plane. My RN is 77.

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath. Tesla will not rush the launch just because we want our cars now.

The infrastructure and systems need to be in place to project the right image and provide a positive customer experience.

Customers and media are the cheapest form of marketing. Customers need to be happy and the media need to convey a positive message.

The competition are luxury brands.

I understand the major delay with the new Service Centre is finding somewhere suitable with sufficient power supply.
I think they may have to install a sub station specifically for their own use. This will take some time to organise.

I hope that is not the case. From bitter experience the lead time to design, procure, install and commission a padmount substation would be circa 6 months with very little room to shorten it. I can't imagine that the power draw would be much worse than a factory that does heavy welding and in fact is better because is a more continuous load rather than lots of spikes for impacts on other customers.

I hope that is not the case. From bitter experience the lead time to design, procure, install and commission a padmount substation would be circa 6 months with very little room to shorten it. I can't imagine that the power draw would be much worse than a factory that does heavy welding and in fact is better because is a more continuous load rather than lots of spikes for impacts on other customers.
I agree. I also would find it hard to believe that Tesla hasn't thought about this until now. How long have they been thinking about Model S in Australia ???

If the substation is required the smartest thing to do would be to ship out a couple of portable Superchargers one each for Sydney & Melbourne. The battery storage in each SC could regulate the supply until the sub stations go in. Then they are ready to deploy on the Hume Hwy to link up the two cities.

If the substation is required the smartest thing to do would be to ship out a couple of portable Superchargers one each for Sydney & Melbourne. The battery storage in each SC could regulate the supply until the sub stations go in. Then they are ready to deploy on the Hume Hwy to link up the two cities.

SCs don't have any battery storage (except one site which has a custom storage solution on a test basis).

UPDATE: I was told today that my car has yet to be started (i.e., the body has yet to be built, which takes about 1 1/2 days). Apparently there has been 1 customer car delivered to HK, but all the RHD cars currently on the line are test/demo cars. We didn't discuss UK, but this tells me there must be enough difference in UK and APAC cars to warrant further build testing. No estimate was given as to a build date and the person I spoke with was unsure if cars would arrive via boat or plane. My RN is 77.
Interesting. the car that is registered here is VIN 36151. Being registered and certified here as a precursor for those to come, one wonders why they need to do more testing on units destined for these shores? i would have thought that the UK cars would be in that VIN range....

My money is still on September - see Financial Review article today

6/28/2014 Tesla supercar to arrive in September

Tesla supercar to arrive in September 1/3

Key points
Tesla supercar to arrive in September

PUBLISHED: 28 Jun 2014 PRINT EDITION: 28 Jun 2014

Simon Hackett set the record for furthest driven in a production electric vehicle with the Tesla Roadster, the predecessor to the upcoming Tesla Model S.

James Hutchinson
“There’s a belief your manhood is somehow diminished if your car doesn’t make a loud noise,” says Simon Hackett.

The internet entrepreneur and NBN Co director admits that once, when he owned a 1985 Ferrari 308, he also felt the need for grunt. Now, however, Hackett is lining up for a supercar that makes no noise at all. It doesn’t even have an engine.

An estimated 100 or so Australians like Hackett have put their name down to purchase what has become known as the supercar for techheads; the Tesla Model S, a fully electric vehicle that costs the same as a BMW M3 but has none of the fuel or maintenance costs. The car will be priced between $97,000 and $200,000.

A fully-electric car, the Model S looks nothing like the Jetsons-inspired cars that typify electric vehicles. Instead of an engine bay, the car has a front storage boot (known as a ‘frunk”). Instead of a fuel tank it has thousands of tiny batteries to give the car a 500-kilometre range, vastly outpacing other electric cars on the market.

It has been a two-year wait for the most fervent Aussie followers of Tesla Motors. First released in 2012 in the United States, the company has quickly sold in excess of 30,000 Model S cars.

The car has propelled Tesla to become what Morgan Stanley this month labelled “arguably the most important car company in the world”, thanks largely to how it has re-engineered the car industry from its parts, construction and even the sales process. Buying a Model S is, effectively, likebuying an iPad.

The move by chief executive Elon Musk, the South African-born billionaire, to open Tesla’s technology patents to other carmakers is also seen as a measure of its growing clout within a staid industry. But the staged release of the Model S globally indicates Tesla has had trouble keeping up with demand, particularly with the batteries needed to run the car. which has forced Tesla to build its own $5 billion factory. Compounding that is the fact Australia has had to wait for the United Kingdom, Japan and Hong Kong to get their fill first. As with the US, the early adopters of the Model S in Australia appear to be largely those in technology.

Alongside Hackett, the secretive reservation list is known to include Atlassian co-founderMike Cannon-Brookes and Sydney app developer Mat Peterson, each placing deposits of up to $40,000 for the car.

Added to that is Sebastian Lip, the chief executive of private plane manufacturer Pilatus Australia. “The more you drive it, the more you don’t want to get the petrol burners out of the garage,” Lip says from the company’s Adelaide headquarters. Those with Model S reservations have a shared and keen sense they are in the vanguard of a potential shift in the type of cars people buy and the way they buy them.

Though Nissan, Mitsubishi and Holden have all tried their hand, industry data from VFACTS shows just 153 new electric cars were sold here between 2011 and 2013. Mitsubishi says it isn’t ordering more electric cars. The lack of apparent demand, charging stations and the luxury car tax levied on even fuel-efficient vehicles, has slowed chances of growth. Nevertheless, Tesla is gearing up for a September launch. There are plans to build here the same superchargers that line US highways.

Hackett isn’t a stranger to electric cars. In 2009, he broke the record for a production electric vehicle when he drove the Tesla Roadster, a predecessor to the Model S, 120 kilometres above its intended range between Alice Springs and Coober Pedy.

He now owns three Roadsters between the US and Australia and has two Model S on order. When they arrive sometime later this year, he intends to break that record.

“I reckon I can drive it from Adelaide to Melbourne; 800 kilometres should be quite doable in those sort of things,” he says.

A Tesla spokesman refused to confirm hiring plans.

“The market for electric vehicles is still in its relative infancy worldwide,” they said. “The move to sustainable mobility will take time and we are committed to bringing both the products and the infrastructure (the high-power
Supercharger network as one example) to markets around the world in order to catalyze the market for electric cars.”

Peterson says he hopes the purchase by him and others will strike a note with miners.

“The frustrating thing is that Australia is so far behind - the first shipment of Model S will almost double the number of electric cars in Australia,” says Peterson, whose Shiny Things outfit creates educational software. “The mindset
in Australia is electric cars are slow, small and take forever to charge. I want to change that perception.”

Spurred on by the minimal but increasing threat of Tesla’s dominance in the electric vehicle space, German carmakers BMW and Mercedes are now promising their own electric or hybrid vehicles.

For Ruslan Kogan, the founder of online consumer electronics shop Kogan.com, it is now a choice between the i8, a $300,000 hybrid supercar remiscent of a Bond film, and the Model S.

“It’s not the best looking car, not the fastest car and doesn’t have the best engine on the road, but in terms of the cockpit experience, which is by far the most important thing to me, it’s definitely the best out of anything I’ve
seen,” says Kogan of the Model S. “It’ll be one, the other, or both.”

Last edited:
Excellent, I always wanted to buy a super car, just didn't realise I just have :)
Do you mean a Supercar like this?
supercar.jpg