Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're definitely no different. I think we should be happy if we get it in August/September, honestly...

First Hong Kong RHD MS cars are already produced, since a few days ago, awaiting shipment out of the USA. Latest rumours are along the lines of Signatures: Second half of July, production:First half of August.

Since you don't have any cars entered into production, and a week more shipping time than to Hong Kong, I would presume July is out of the question, even for your Sigs. A saving grace could be your vehicle authorities being less help up by red tape than any and every official institution is in Hong Kong, where waiting and queuing for ages is part of the joy of life.

I know from China that hundreds of cars (LHD that is) are awaiting delivery these weeks, already landed in China but not prepared yet, and Tesla employees from the region (and USA?) are flown in to assist with deliveries in Shanghai, for this week and the next at least. I would imagine TM would arrange it so that different markets don't start at the same time, and hence be able to move employees around on a temporary base, to help preparing and delivering cars.

On that note, I would place my bet for Australia as Signatures: Second half of August, production, first half of September.

Why don't you make a betting thread, like I did here http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...will-the-first-Sigs-be-delivered-in-Hong-Kong and make a deadline to submit bets?

Just for the fun of it, keeps the waiting time more bearable, seeing who can get their guess closest to the actual delivery date of the first Sigs in Australia.

Over in the UK for a few days and decided that I should go and get a Tesla fix at the Westfield London store!

it was a mixed offering by Tesla in my eyes. On the plus side the store was integrated well in to the shopping centre in a central location and had a fair bit of interest. However, on the negative side the car on display was LHD (surely they could spare a RHD vehicle for their flagship store?). What was more worrying was the shabby state of the car. The edge of the seats and the materials around the door frame were worn through. Now I understand that this vehicle is getting many hundreds of entry/exit movements per day and many wouldn't be taking much care, but it doesn't present a particularly good image to prospective customers on the durability of a car costing that much.

Car on display was a white P85+ with Pano roof, black leather and grey 21" wheels.

Last edited:
Over in the UK for a few days and decided that I should go and get a Tesla fix at the Westfield London store!

it was a mixed offering by Tesla in my eyes. On the plus side the store was integrated well in to the shopping centre in a central location and had a fair bit of interest. However, on the negative side the car on display was LHD (surely they could spare a RHD vehicle for their flagship store?). What was more worrying was the shabby state of the car. The edge of the seats and the materials around the door frame were worn through. Now I understand that this vehicle is getting many hundreds of entry/exit movements per day and many wouldn't be taking much care, but it doesn't present a particularly good image to prospective customers on the durability of a car costing that much.

Car on display was a white P85+ with Pano roof, black leather and grey 21" wheels.

Oh that doesn't sound good. Can you remember if the car had the optional leather door trims? I have leather door trims in my Range Rover and this was the first area to show wear.

Hmm. Still "sourcing parts". If they plan a release date in July, it is getting awfully tight. If they HAVE booked a ship, then there is still time. If not . . forget it. And, of course, as is usual from Tesla HQ, radio silence.

Im currently in California and by chance met someone who works at Tesla. I was told that the first few "for delivery" RHD cars were just recently finished and that there are several test cars currently going through the line to ensure things are set up correctly. They then said the RHD cars are due to be manufactured after their work with the test cars "shortly". I'm unsure if there is any Tesla sensitivity around such conversations, so will leave all info about the person, their role/location private.

Im currently in California and by chance met someone who works at Tesla. I was told that the first few "for delivery" RHD cars were just recently finished and that there are several test cars currently going through the line to ensure things are set up correctly. They then said the RHD cars are due to be manufactured after their work with the test cars "shortly". I'm unsure if there is any Tesla sensitivity around such conversations, so will leave all info about the person, their role/location private.

Hey JOH.

I read on the Tesla website that people who have the Model S scheduled for delivery and live further away than California have an open invitation to visit the Tesla factory for a tour of the site whenever they are in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Since you are already in California, an actual guided tour of the factory would be an experience not to be missed.

was he / she specifically referring to Australian cars? They have, of course already delivered RHD cars in the UK, and I understand that at least some HK cars have been built and are scheduled on a ship shortly. Consequently, is his/ her info current or historical? Would he / she be in a position to have current info?

was he / she specifically referring to Australian cars? They have, of course already delivered RHD cars in the UK, and I understand that at least some HK cars have been built and are scheduled on a ship shortly. Consequently, is his/ her info current or historical? Would he / she be in a position to have current info?

Difficult to know, but based on how they described their role, I'd say they have current info. Based on UK deliveries, I'd say they were referring to Australia and possibly including Hong Kong sounds like we will be in process shortly.

Someone in the UK (on the Tesla.com forums) just ordered a P85+ and got a confirmation delivery date of late August (was originally late September upon confirmation, then got changed). Given UK is also RHD, I think that provides us with a good "latest delivery date" given that this guy JUST ordered.

What do you think?

Someone in the UK (on the Tesla.com forums) just ordered a P85+ and got a confirmation delivery date of late August (was originally late September upon confirmation, then got changed). Given UK is also RHD, I think that provides us with a good "latest delivery date" given that this guy JUST ordered.

What do you think?

Well....I think the delay will be in getting things organised at this end. How many trained staff and how big a lot do you need to process the Sig's for instance? Not sure how many Sigs there are but this would be some task. I assume the batteries will be charged - if not that will add time as well.

They will need a bigger site than they currently have but, even with a bigger site, it will take time to prep each car. They will also have the inevitable snags as the negotiate the State delivery and registration processes.

My money is still on September at the earliest as it will take them time at this end to organise everything - but I would be happy to be proved wrong!

Cheers
David

Just wondering with the RHD deliveries imminent into AUS has your Tesla Sydney store opened yet, and any sign or rumours of the RHD test drive or display vehicle, which I understand was going through certification in Melbourne a while ago now. Cheers > Peter

Don't think Syd store open yet.

RHD test drive car is in Sydney. You can see it and ride in it, but don't think insurance sorted yet for people to drive it. Though that was a few weeks ago maybe you can now?

Melbourne test drive car not here yet, probably be another week or so before it gets here.

Don't think Syd store open yet.

RHD test drive car is in Sydney. You can see it and ride in it, but don't think insurance sorted yet for people to drive it. Though that was a few weeks ago maybe you can now?

Melbourne test drive car not here yet, probably be another week or so before it gets here.
no test drives yet. It will be in my garage tonite for "validation" testing. (regrettably WITHOUT the key).

Last edited: