Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone here disagrees that at this time they get an F for marketing and communication to early adopters.

It looks great initially to a new comer, but has some fundamental issues that I think they are too stubborn to fix. Everyone is busy and working hard. But that's never an acceptable reason to treat your most important customers in this way, especially when the solution is simple.

Anyway, they've been clear on one thing: you have to suck it up and live with it. If you don't like it, perhaps seek closure the only other way possible.

Good luck. At least we know from the experience of others that the car and customer service will be awesome when it eventually arrives.

Agreed on cooling our jets.

Seriously, "promises" from the on-the-ground guys should be taken with a grain of salt, they are not at a level that would have actual insights in a company of this size, would be by guess. (no disrespect to the awesome guys here who have been genuinely helpful to me)

Nobody knows how this will pan out. For now, let's all stare lovingly at our chargers ... Mine will show up tomorrow, so I've been promised.

:)

Matta

1st post so I’d better make sense.

I sympathise with the early birds. In being the very first here to back Tesla, they seam to be getting a bit of a raw deal with cars already built that will evidently miss out on the new sensors. It doesn’t really make a lot of sense to build a bunch of cars bound for Australia so early when they knew the service & back office wouldn’t be up & running and therefore not be able to deliver them within a reasonable time frame.

Having already built them, it would now seem to be an expensive if not difficult process to refit them with the new features but it would be worthwhile to launch with vehicles with the full driver assist suite in order to showcase going beyond current Euro NCAP 5 star standards & matching direct competitors like BMW etc., not to mention the truly satisfied launch customers. Can’t put a price on that.

In my case, I’ve found Tesla to be first class to deal with in every way. I ordered later and don’t expect delivery until January or February, by which time I hope there are Superchargers all the way from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast. No? Ok then how about somewhere like Taree & Coffs Harbour?

Agreed on cooling our jets.

Seriously, "promises" from the on-the-ground guys should be taken with a grain of salt, they are not at a level that would have actual insights in a company of this size, would be by guess. (no disrespect to the awesome guys here who have been genuinely helpful to me)

Nobody knows how this will pan out. For now, let's all stare lovingly at our chargers ... Mine will show up tomorrow, so I've been promised.

:)

Matta
Well, I got the first charger in Australia. Been staring at the stupid thing for a long time now......

Well, I got the first charger in Australia. Been staring at the stupid thing for a long time now......

I hear ya, mate.

I drive my wife's Lancer (my last car was a Falcon that I sold to a mate for $1K who did the Shitbox rally in it) and it's bitterly disappointing.

I test drove the red rocket here in Melbourne, they brought it to my house a few months ago, I know what it feels like to pull away from the cub in silence and take way-too-small gaps when joining the main road, alas now, it's acceleration with huge lag.

I grew up attending car club events, my dad is in the Buick Club in NSW and I used to love going to those each month. I hope someone does one here in Victoria, if they don't I will.

Matta

- - - Updated - - -

your boat is due port Suez tomorrow! According to marine traffic.com

That looks like a complete arse-about way to get from Cali to here. Am I missing something?

Matta

I hear ya, mate.

I drive my wife's Lancer (my last car was a Falcon that I sold to a mate for $1K who did the Shitbox rally in it) and it's bitterly disappointing.

I test drove the red rocket here in Melbourne, they brought it to my house a few months ago, I know what it feels like to pull away from the cub in silence and take way-too-small gaps when joining the main road, alas now, it's acceleration with huge lag.

I grew up attending car club events, my dad is in the Buick Club in NSW and I used to love going to those each month. I hope someone does one here in Victoria, if they don't I will.

Matta

I've been coping with just the one car for my family of four while waiting for my Model S. My wife has finally run out of patience with this (although I've been taking almost all the hits - taking public transport and riding my bike everywhere) and is insisting we get something now. I want to take the cheapest option which I think will be renting rather than registering and insuring a second-hand vehicle then taking the additional loss when I sell it in 2 or 3 (or more?) months. Unfortunately the cheapest rental will be a Ford Festiva or similar so my acceleration will be very very depressing.

I hear ya, mate.

Matta

- - - Updated - - -

That looks like a complete arse-about way to get from Cali to here. Am I missing something?

Matta

The car is for NZ and is RHD and European spec - therefore purchased and shipped from Europe.

While we wait :D, does anyone know when the new features (lane departure warning etc) start being added to the spec? Are they to be standard, or extra cost for Australia? I got my spec changed to black alcantara roof lining (thank goodness) but it would probably be pushing the friendship to be adding more options now, but if we are in for a wait...

While we wait :D, does anyone know when the new features (lane departure warning etc) start being added to the spec? Are they to be standard, or extra cost for Australia? I got my spec changed to black alcantara roof lining (thank goodness) but it would probably be pushing the friendship to be adding more options now, but if we are in for a wait...
I would contact Stone or maybe better, Kasey, immediately and ask.

How much are they? My Italian hotel wifi won't let me into the Tesla site to check Australian pricing.
I have just checked the Australian Model S configurator and there are no additional extras available.
In the US they seem to be including them at no charge - for now.
The first AU Signature cars do not have the additional sensors but its anyone's guess if the next batch of AU cars will have them.

Edit

Looks like they are being fitted to all US vehicles from now. Speed-Assist-and-Lane-Departure-Warning Post771398

Last edited:
I have just checked the Australian Model S configurator and there are no additional extras available.
In the US they seem to be including them at no charge - for now.
The first AU Signature cars do not have the additional sensors but its anyone's guess if the next batch of AU cars will have them.

Edit

Looks like they are being fitted to all US vehicles from now. Speed-Assist-and-Lane-Departure-Warning Post771398

I couldn't see the items on the US website either. Thinking about it, I wouldn't pay extra for them. I've got them on a Benz and a BMW and they are no big deal. And I don't want to delay the build. If they come, they come.