Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post - Charging Is Our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0414.jpg
Well hello West Virginia! Welcome to the 21st century!
(I count four!)

Reactions: GSP and Acps110
Tesla is also expanding charging opportunities in Europe: covering much of eastern and southern Europe. This will certainly help expand sales over here.

OMG they are even opening a SuperCharger in Athens (Greece) !! I'm impressed. Too bad my US spec won't be able to use same, and I was told it could cost as much as $40,000 to add a (modified) Mennekes Type 2 port, a European SIM, and localized maps etc etc, which can buy a whole lot of BEV TBH, so it's not financially worth it, at least for me.

That was Tesla's promise - that whatever variation in pricing there is between places, it would always be less than gas for a "comparable" ICE car. (Whatever they deem to be comparable.)

From my quick look at the pricing in various places, it mostly seems to be around 20% more than what you'd pay on a typical non time of use plan in that area.

So that's the thing... the pricing has to be expensive enough that people with a place to charge at home, or at work, or somewhere outside the SC network will do so, but not expensive enough that everyone fees they are getting price gouged. In the case that I am most familiar with -- NY State -- I believe they have done just that.

I pay $0.17/kWh at home. they are charging $0.19kWh. (and the $0.17/kWh is not a TOU late night/super-off-peak rate.) so they are incentivizing the locals to charge "at home" while not gouging the eyes out of those of us who aren't able to charge at home or at work.

I went to google maps and checked out the location of the proposed SC in Manhattan.. and yes I know they said that the proposed location is subject to change. but here are my preliminary findings.. and they are most interesting:

1. There is a future SC pin on West 82nd Street between CPW and Columbus ave. There is also parking garage on W 82rd Street between CPW and Columbus Av currently run by Champion parking. it is not self park, and the parking rates are atrocious. As of this writing they are:

$29 for 30 minutes parking, $41 for 1 hour of parking, $51 for 2 hrs of parking. $59 for 3 hrs of parking, and $69 for 24 hrs of parking.

They do have an early "bird special" for $27. get in before 10 AM and you can stay until 7 PM for the bargain rate of $27.

I think at the very least they should offer Tesla SCing at the early bird rate no matter what time you arrive. Ideally it will be like Savanah airport SC where you get an hr free parking if you are driving a Tesla, but the chances of that happening in NYC are close to ZERO. The spots are just too valuable, especially that close to Central Park.

2. there is a future SC pin at Greene Street between Spring and Broome. But I google Street viewed it there are no garages on that block, BUT there is a new luxury condo -- 11 Greene Street -- going up a block away, between Canal and and Grand. There is a law in NYC that all new construction that includes a parking garage must provide a bunch of EVSEs so there will definitely be at least some sort of 240 V charging option (or 208 V bc its commercial power) but the bad news is that the building only broke ground in Sept of 2016, so we are looking at at least 2.5 years b4 the 1st vehicle of any kind is allowed to park there. and while the parking fees should be a somewhat cheaper than what I quoted on W 82nd Street. they will still be closer to outrageous than to reasonable.

3. There is a future SC pin at 42nd and 6th Ave. There are no garages right at that point or any new buildings going up within a 2-3 block radius that I am able to find through simple quick googling (thats how I found 11 Greene that I mention above). That said, the garages in midtown are somewhat more reasonably priced than those near central park so again, we may be in for a small discount. Again closer to outrageous than to reasonable.

I will do more digging on the 42nd Street location and see what I can find.

@Galve2000 I don't know if you've seen the other posts but you may be spinning your wheels trying to find listings based on those pins. I think that all of the coming soon pins that I've looked at are located above the name of the city in which they will be built, not the actual address. I didn't look at every pin but the ones I did look at were centered above Lower Manhattan, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Midtown, Jersey City, Hackensack, etc.and this held true in every state that I looked at. In Colorado, I know that the Lone Tree supercharger won't be built where the pin shows up.

To me it is obvious that today's announcement by Tesla is not a "response" to what any other company is doing, it simply builds on what Elon said last year about expanding the charging network.

Yes, there are some errors in the new map.

And the Supercharger locations that are shown in gray but already exist at that location are probably going to be significant expansions of existing sites.

Probably? Why not clearly?
It's a map of Superchargers. It's important that it shows sites that are _open_. If they want to show expansion, they need to make sure that it has an obvious symbol that shows open future expansion.

You or I, or anyone sensible and not in a rush would have map that map much clearer.

I think I'd be more excited if this map wasn't hastily put together.

There are a number of existing superchargers that it doesn't show. Like it has a coming soon for Mt. Shasta. Where other sites have coming soon one right next to an existing one which I interpret means a planned expansion.

It also doesn't show the Aberdeen, WA supercharger which very much does exist.

I know that map they put out today is impressive. But don't forget - every damn to be supercharger there says "Coming soon, exact placement and time may vary"

Knowing Tesla and their stretchy timelines, ..... I'll believe it when I see it.
Most of the ones I look at say "Coming Soon Target opening by end of 2017 Exact timing and specific location may vary" but I did find one that was ""Coming Soon Target opening date to be confirmed Exact timing and specific location may vary".

@Galve2000 I don't know if you've seen the other posts but you may be spinning your wheels trying to find listings based on those pins. I think that all of the coming soon pins that I've looked at are located above the name of the city in which they will be built, not the actual address. I didn't look at every pin but the ones I did look at were centered above Lower Manhattan, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Midtown, Jersey City, Hackensack, etc.and this held true in every state that I looked at. In Colorado, I know that the Lone Tree supercharger won't be built where the pin shows up.
Yep, every pin is right on a name if you zoom way in. All it tells you is the locality for the permit, perhaps.

for the most part this is only a wish list of locations where tesla wants to install SpC units. not many locations or permits have been obtained. I wish them well but the map is overly ambitious.
is this just another case of over promising?
It's interesting that they could have put Installation TBD on a lot more of them, but only did so on the real low priority (sorry, ND!) sites.

Yep, every pin is right on a name if you zoom way in. All it tells you is the locality for the permit, perhaps.
That is not true. Look at San Francisco. There are three gray pins. Each one is in a location in the city that corresponds with the name of the Supercharger: Financial District, SOMA, Mission. To the locals those three names are understood to be very specific areas of the city, and Tesla is using the names correctly to describe the locations of those "Coming soon" Superchargers.

I could give you more examples of gray pins in the SF Bay Area that are clearly placed in specific areas, not just on the name of a locality/city/town.

The thing to watch for will be when the first of the Super Supercharger stations opens, to see what, if any, technical differences exist with the current set of Superchargers. Tesla will not be rolling out anything that would not support the highest possible charging rate of any of their upcoming vehicles going forward.

So look to see if there are any incremental hardware improvements that would clue you into the charging direction they are moving.

Could be why Fremont 2 is so delayed. The new stations will obviously support all current S and X vehicles.

My guess would be faster charging for M3. And also for upcoming S and X with 2170 cells.

RT

It looks to me like they have fixed some of the mistakes. Waco, Tx has been open for a long time, was listed as coming soon. Now there are two entries for Waco. One for the existing SpC and another coming soon listing.

Noticed same with a few others.

It looks to me like they have fixed some of the mistakes. Waco, Tx has been open for a long time, was listed as coming soon. Now there are two entries for Waco. One for the existing SpC and another coming soon listing.

Noticed same with a few others.
Good catch. I see the same thing. Example: Gilroy CA, yesterday there was only one gray pin there, today there is a red pin at the existing location and a gray pin on the word "Gilroy". Same thing with Petaluma CA. I could give more examples. Clearly Tesla fixed some issues with the new map.

Slightly different situation: the existing Tejon Ranch CA location is shown correctly and in red (technically it is at Wheeler Ridge but it has always been called Tejon) and there is a new gray pin a few miles to the south on the 5 that is also called "Tejon Ranch" but is located at Lebec, though the pin itself is not at the word "Lebec" shown on the map.

But issues remain. For example, Harris Ranch CA, a location that was one of the very first Superchargers, shows a gray pin and "Coming soon". No red pin. Maybe that means it will be expanded at the same location (there really is nothing else for miles around) but it is confusing.

Last edited: