Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM starts production of Equinox EV

View attachment 944496
Pretty sure these are test vehicles, aka Manufacturing Validation Builds. GM historically builds 75 or so engineering test vehicles before the production line is ready, but using production tooling where possible. Then a few months before volume production they build a couple hundred MVBs on the actual production line. They have employees use these as daily drivers and report and manufacturing defects (and in recent years, s/w issues). GM uses this feedback to fine-tune production methods and their training methods, then starts building cars for customers.

Pretty sure these are test vehicles, aka Manufacturing Validation Builds. GM historically builds 75 or so engineering test vehicles before the production line is ready, but using production tooling where possible. Then a few months before volume production they build a couple hundred MVBs on the actual production line. They have employees use these as daily drivers and report and manufacturing defects (and in recent years, s/w issues). GM uses this feedback to fine-tune production methods and their training methods, then starts building cars for customers.

I got excited when I read that Equinox EV production started.

About 20 minutes later I thought the same thing you did. These are probably validation builds.

Reactions: GSP
Toyota Giga Casting for BEVs.

1686728137851.png

Hey remember when GM said it would replace all the batteries on Bolts through 2022 models no questions asked? JK!

2020-2022 Chevy Bolt owners, starting yesterday evening, began receiving messages that their high voltage battery/module replacements would no longer be happening. Instead, a software diagnostics tool would be used to verify if the batteries had problems before a replacement would be performed.

Hey remember when GM said it would replace all the batteries on Bolts through 2022 models no questions asked? JK!

Well, they actually said they'd try to find a way to identify the problem with software. Then they gave up and said they'd replace batteries. Now supposedly they're doing it with software.

Oh. My bad. I didn’t realize someone actually tried to make a pack-swapping EV. I always thought the limits of stupidity ended at hydrogen.

Better Place did a long time ago.
NIO has been doing battery swaps for a few years now. Bjørn Nyland has done a couple of 1000km challenges in NIOs in the past year using one or two swap stations.
A NIO has the best time in his tests now for a BEV, I think. The limitation is that there are few swap stations so he was forced to use DCFC as well and it's not the fastest at DCFC.

Oh. My bad. I didn’t realize someone actually tried to make a pack-swapping EV. I always thought the limits of stupidity ended at hydrogen.
Nio has done 20 million battery swaps. The target is urban dwellers who lack overnight charging. That's very common in China. A swap station doesn't take up as much expensive urban real estate as a DCFC with the same throughput, and is much faster for users. They also let you swap into a bigger pack if you want to take a long trip.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12