Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The few times Tesla has addressed battery degradation, they have simply lied and dismissed it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW: without using any more or less fancy app, my 2020 LR AWD started at 504 km displayed range. Now, 144,000 km (89,500 miles) later, 100% charge equals 474 km. Maybe there is more to it, but to me, that's 6% less mileage than what I had when the car was new. I can live with that. I regularly charge the car to more than the recommended level but I start driving right after I reach my target, and then arrive at home at the recommended 80% (or 90% when that was the recommended maximum).
To me, range continues to be a non-issue.
You mean you cycle from say 95% to 80%? That's not the optimal practice.

You mean you cycle from say 95% to 80%? That's not the optimal practice.
Depends on what you are optimizing for. If battery life is all that matters, yes, then it's probably best to keep the car at 50% SoC in an air-conditioned garage.
To answer your question, it takes about 5% SoC to return home from my daily commute, so I used to charge to 95% and arrived at home at 90% when Tesla thought it was okay to go to 90% for daily use. Now that the changed their mind and think that the battery shouldn't be sitting at more than 80%, I charge to 85% and when I come home, it's at 80%.

My personal car is an automobile, and I like it that way. It happens fairly often that I decide later in the day that I want to go fly (roundtrip to the airport ~200 km) or that I have something to do in Ottawa, which is roughly 80 km away. I want to be able to jump into the car and just go. To me, it's not paramount to optimize the last little bit of longevity out of the battery when it can clearly handle being charged and stored at 80%.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Tesla debunked that "supercharging is bad for you car" myth a while ago? That may have been an issue with older models, but as far as I remember that's no longer a thing.