Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian will be “a couple 100 vehicles short” of its goal of producing 1,200 vehicles this year. “The good news is that we do not believe any of our supply-chain challenges are long term,” Scaringe said. “They are solvable problems.”

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Well Doug says everything is the best, but also kinda quirky.

He's been hard on some cars. His side channel has a video for the worst 10 he ever reviewed.

If they're going to be a couple of hundred short of 1200, isn't that just another way of saying "about 1000"?

Reactions: KJD
If they're going to be a couple of hundred short of 1200, isn't that just another way of saying "about 1000"?
They said a "few hundred short", so I figure they'll end up around 900. On 12/15 they'd built 652 and averaged only ~10 per calendar day since 11/1. Figure they lose a day for Christmas so need to build 25 per production day to hit 900.

Reactions: RobStark and KJD
Shot of Hummer EV infotainment screen.

1639772622820.png

I'd applaud GM if I wasn't more suspicious...

Are these Bolt batteries I wonder? Not heard of Bright drop prior to this article.

This article says that they only shipped 5 vehicles...

Autoblog: FedEx receives its first fully-electric GM Brightdrop delivery vans.

200k??? VW Group will sell 700k+ EVs this year, over half BEVs. BYD will sell 270k EVs just in Q4. Even Stellantis will sell ~350k this year.
having owned 2 PHEV's since 2012, and aware of them for long before that, their time has come and gone, it is past.
does it at least have 200 mile range, or 50kw battery?
then nope, not an EV, just a range extended ICE

having owned 2 PHEV's since 2012, and aware of them for long before that, their time has come and gone, it is past.
does it at least have 200 mile range, or 50kw battery?
then nope, not an EV, just a range extended ICE

Are BEVs with less than 50 kWh batteries with less than 200 mile range not EVs?

A Mazda MX-30 is not an EV?

A Honda-e is not an EV?

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Are BEVs with less than 50 kWh batteries with less than 200 mile range not EVs?

A Mazda MX-30 is not an EV? <==barely compliance, "where's a charger"

A Honda-e is not an EV? <==barely compliance also
@RobStark
I would invite you to peruse the sheets at the link with battery sizes and ranges.
The motorcycles are playthings.
Your 2 examples are quite legitimate "range anxiety inducing" vehicles

Mazda MX-30 ".The MX-30.... offering a range of 209 km (130 mi)" (at best)
Honda E, same thing

Like I said, having dealt with, and owned and driven a few grossly underpowered EV's and PHEV's over the last 40 years,

I test drove an ElCar in 1974, based on a Fiat 500 chassis, 36v, 35mph, maybe 35 mile range PbA flooded batteries, 2 seater shaped like a cube
owned a Bob Beaumont Sebring 1970's CitiCar, 48v, 3.5hp motor, plastic body same specs
owned Kewet from Denmark, 48v, same specs
drove an electric Ford Ranger and a home built "Bug-E" tadpole rigged trike, checked out an electric Rav-4, owned by a club member, participated at the start of the Broder memorial drive recreation
sat in Louis Palmer's "Solar Taxi" that towed a 30ft set of PV panels and circumnavigated the planet using a liquid sodium battery
sat in the electric Delorean and went to electric car autocrosses "power of DC"

SO , YES to your question, not really EV's, but more electric training wheels to drag out the change from ICE to EV

I have to admit this is one area where Tesla is lacking, I wish all their vehicles had bidirectional capability.

The automaker says all ID. models with the 77-kWh battery are going to be able to charge bidirectionally — accepting energy from a source, and charging a separate energy storage system like a wallbox plugged into a home energy system. That capability will come via an OTA update. VW will sell special bidirectional DC wallboxes for home use.

I have to admit this is one area where Tesla is lacking, I wish all their vehicles had bidirectional capability.
No you don’t. Not only does bidirectional charging add considerable expense to both the car and the charger, it requires you to install an automatic switching system *between* the service meter and your main breaker panel, then specially wire the charging circuit directly into that switching system.
It’s far more sensible to just put in a powerwall.

No you don’t. Not only does bidirectional charging add considerable expense to both the car and the charger, it requires you to install an automatic switching system *between* the service meter and your main breaker panel, then specially wire the charging circuit directly into that switching system.
Tesla needs to implement something like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 AC output adapter that puts out up to 18A of 120V via an adapter that plugs into the charging socket on the car.

This gives you usable power without needing a bulky external AC inverter and without implying a full home generator-style tie-in. Either that, or just stick a 120V outlet with at least 1500W output in the car somewhere — at least as an option installable after the factory.

Last edited:
I have a 55kWh or larger pack in my car vs 14kWh powerwall. Buying additional switching equipment for the car is much cheaper, I get much more capacity, and making the car bidirectional does not add considerable expense to the car. Also the fact that other OEM's are adding this capability means it's not that expensive or difficult, and if Tesla doesn't add the same capability they will be lacking compared to the competition.