Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backed my inventory P85D into a pole 5 minutes before delivery.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People's ability tell apart re-painted portions of a car varies hugely. Some people are unbelievably good at it, while average folks like myself would never see the difference in a professional paint result. It may have something to do with different kinds of eyes.

I have had cars with damage fixed, very happy never could tell it apart and then have some guy ask, what happened here later down the road. It is amazing, really, how good some are at it.

:rolleyes:

And I'm just going to take lagann at her word, that her eyes are perfectly fine, and the repainted hood matches absolutely perfect just like she said.

AnxietyRanger said:
People's ability tell apart re-painted portions of a car varies hugely. Some people are unbelievably good at it, while average folks like myself would never see the difference in a professional paint result. It may have something to do with different kinds of eyes.

I have had cars with damage fixed, very happy never could tell it apart and then have some guy ask, what happened here later down the road. It is amazing, really, how good some are at it.

And I'm just going to take lagann at her word, that her eyes are perfectly fine, and the repainted hood matches absolutely perfect just like she said.

Of course you are.

This is a complicating issue. The car that was damaged was probably a good deal for him, buying a new one even with a discount would not even come close. The only way I would get the damaged car if the cost of the value of the car was reduced (based on the damage devalue) and some perks on top of that.

The part where they try to sell you service, car washes, etc for X amount is b-$$$$. Every dealer tries to do this, so they can spread out the costs over the years or hope you don't come back.

Women are actually much better than men at distinguishing shades and minor differences between hues. There's plenty of scientific studies out there. (Once upon a time I used to work in the cosmetics industry).

[/OT]

No doubt there are on average different characteristics between genders, I agree.

From distance it is very hard to judge either way the performance of an individual or an individual case of car re-painting.

Damage should not be noticeable by anyone. They will remove any damaged parts and replace them with brand new factory fresh replacement parts. New, factory painted bumper cover will then be installed. No paint work, no way to know the damage ever happened.

If OP is getting a loaner car until his is repaired, he could then take a look at it and determine if it is repaired to his satisfaction, then accept the car.

There is the possibility that OP is just using this delivery damage to leverage an additional price discount on an already discounted car. Maybe as simple as that.

Can't blame a guy for trying.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if their backing it into a pole was caused by this firmware bug: HEY TESLA -- Safety feature request - ADD THIS!!

The same thing happened to me, and my car's been in the shop since the first week of June because of it.

edit: also discussed here: Shifting to Drive while slowly reversing | Forums | Tesla Motors

edit 2: someone else got burned by this, penultimate post on first page: Stupid Things New Owners Do | Forums | Tesla Motors

Robby, that's good to know. Thanks for posting, I might have learned the hard way!

Good info robby, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

AnxietyRanger said:
Krugerrand said:
AnxietyRanger said:
lagann said:
Uhhh, are you sure? I had my entire hood repainted and it matches absolutely perfectly. No one would ever be able to tell.

Of course you are.
Yep, imagine that. Straight forward and uncomplicated, with no need to muddy the waters just because we can.
In my experience the world rarely is straight forward and uncomplicated. Automotive paint certainly is not a straight forward and uncomplicated issue at all to the enthusiasts. I don't doubt lagann's sincerity one bit, and I appreciate it as a nice data point, which allowed me to share my own experience.

One could have taken the OPs original thread starting post straight forwardly and uncomplicatedly, but we all know that wouldn't have been the full story. The hard part is of course to do this without questioning or diminishing the value of what was said unnecessarily. I have no doubt lagann got a great paintjob and am happy for her. It is just hard to say whether or not very particular people OP was worried about - and that I know from experience do exist in the automotive world - would agree, or whether or not her example would be very representative of what the OP could expect. But I agree it is a nice data point and I do appreciate it, it wasn't my intent to critique lagann in any way.

That said, I understand we both look at lagann's message from our own experience pool and thus differently. That is of course perfectly OK.

Awwwww you're so sweet lol

- - - Updated - - -

Women are actually much better than men at distinguishing shades and minor differences between hues. There's plenty of scientific studies out there. (Once upon a time I used to work in the cosmetics industry).

We have a better sense of smell/taste, too.

Well, that wasn't brief. Calling inventory cars used? Really? What part of "titled as new" or "qualifies for the federal tax credit" (regardless of mileage) is hard to grasp? But that's just another red herring from not having the guidance to stay on point, despite the OP's best efforts.

Tesla could have improved the odds of saving the sale and avoiding the souring of the customer experience by being a little quicker with that set of offers. Had it not taken a week or so at the end there with $130K in limbo, option 2 did look somewhat appealing.

I hope that someone (who twitters) tweets Elon and others in senior management a link to the OP's list of constructive feedback (whether we agree with every word or not).

The tired parroting of the defensive fanboi/gurl contingent in yet another thread is not doing Tesla any favors. Quite the contrary, actually. Disappointing and pathetic clique-ishness would be more accurate descriptors of this unfortunate malaise. Elon knows this. Take the hint. Learn from the billionaire. He's smarter than you.

Well, that wasn't brief. Calling inventory cars used? Really? What part of "titled as new" or "qualifies for the federal tax credit" (regardless of mileage) is hard to grasp? But that's just another red herring from not having the guidance to stay on point, despite the OP's best efforts.

Tesla could have improved the odds of saving the sale and avoiding the souring of the customer experience by being a little quicker with that set of offers. Had it not taken a week or so at the end there with $130K in limbo, option 2 did look somewhat appealing.

I hope that someone (who twitters) tweets Elon and others in senior management a link to the OP's list of constructive feedback (whether we agree with every word or not).

The tired parroting of the defensive fanboi/gurl contingent in yet another thread is not doing Tesla any favors. Quite the contrary, actually. Disappointing and pathetic clique-ishness would be more accurate descriptors of this unfortunate malaise. Elon knows this. Take the hint. Learn from the billionaire. He's smarter than you.

Exactly how is correctly defining what is new being a fanboi/gurl (excellent spelling)? Again, yes legally an inventory car is a 'new' car but not everyone agrees that a car that has gone on multiple 0-60 runs as a loaner car with 1,000+ miles on it is a brand new car. If it was new, why would Tesla be stupid enough to sell it at a discount? Their shareholders/fanbois should be furious Tesla is giving away cars at a steep discount.

Agree with your advice about Elon. It's equally disappointing when certain people throw around terms like fanboi to try and demean anyone who disagrees with them. It would be similar if someone were to call a certain person a troll given their language.

In my experience the world rarely is straight forward and uncomplicated.

And in my experience, the world is often made far more complicated than it needs to be.

That said, I understand we both look at lagann's message from our own experience pool and thus differently.

Yep, I took her at her word and you didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

We have a better sense of smell/taste, too.

And often a higher pain threshold.