Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Demo car has scratches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So I got a inventory deal where I am getting around 3K off on my Model Y RWD demo vehicle with about 1800 kms. I went and checked the condition of the car and it's fine except a 5 cm long scratch on the driver door and handle.

I asked Tesla rep to fix this but it seems that they will not be doing that as he told me that they will do detailing and when I come to pick up my car I can reject the delivery if I don't like it. I checked Tesla's policy for demo cars and it says that scratches for upto 2.5 cm continuous will be acceptable.

I want to know what are my options right now before I take the delivery in 4 days. Should I take the car and then file a service request saying that the scratch is more than 2.5 cms (photo attached) or should I reject the delivery. I don't want to reject the delivery as I really want the 3K discount and the warranty loss is only a month (compared to other demos where the warranty loss was 3-4 months).

Is there anyone who took a demo car and was able to get the scratches fixed?

Thanks, and looking for a response!

Attachments

• 20240507_170819.jpg
    20240507_170819.jpg
    953.9 KB · Views: 4
That's a big scratch. You're gonna see that thing every time you walk up to the car. I'd either be willing to pay out of pocket to fix it at a body shop, or pass on this car. No way would I want to look at that every day. But your priorities and wants from the car might be different than mine.
Thanks. Do you know how much will it cost to pay to get it fixed at a body shop? Any rough estimate will be helpful

Just to throw a guess I'd say $2k or so. It's a highly visible area and probably not easy to blend. But on the plus side, it's a reasonably flat area right there. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!
Guess based on what?

I have had a door panel beaten and resprayed for a quarter of that.

It would depend on if you wanted it to look brand new or merely painted out and blended. If you can't get a whole door paint job for less than a grand I'd be very surprised.

Guess based on what?

It would depend on if you wanted it to look brand new or merely painted out and blended. If you can't get a whole door paint job for less than a grand I'd be very surprised.

Where is "Queenstown"? Costs for body work vary wildly from state to state in the USA, and internationally there is no sense in comparing them at all (between US and anyplace else).

mine was a demo with around 1300 miles. when we went to take delivery there were 2 deep 1 cm long scratches on the front bumper. and some curb rash on both right side wheels. i didn't care, but the service advisor was adamant that i put in 2 service requests. a few weeks later i took it in and they replaced 2 wheels and the front bumper for free.

i bought this touch up paint for any future scratches. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BW5Y5NBL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

SYOAUTO Touch up Paint Fit for Tesla Model Y 3 X S Tesla Model Paint Repair kit Tesla Paint Pen Tip and Brush 2 in 1 Auto Touch Up Paint Pen 0.4 oz​

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
mine was a demo with around 1300 miles. when we went to take delivery there were 2 deep 1 cm long scratches on the front bumper. and some curb rash on both right side wheels. i didn't care, but the service advisor was adamant that i put in 2 service requests. a few weeks later i took it in and they replaced 2 wheels and the front bumper for free.

i bought this touch up paint for any future scratches. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BW5Y5NBL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

SYOAUTO Touch up Paint Fit for Tesla Model Y 3 X S Tesla Model Paint Repair kit Tesla Paint Pen Tip and Brush 2 in 1 Auto Touch Up Paint Pen 0.4 oz​

Thanks, this is super helpful. Did you have to explain anything specifically when putting the service request? Or was it because of the service advisor that they fixed it for free? I am asking this because I am not sure if the service advisors in my delivery location are nice enough, one of them told me that I won't even get default gemini wheel covers which come with new model y 19 inches because I'm taking a demo.

Where is "Queenstown"? Costs for body work vary wildly from state to state in the USA, and internationally there is no sense in comparing them at all (between US and anyplace else).
It's a ski resort / tourist town South Is NZ. We have high prices. About the only things we get cheaper in NZ than the US is scenery, dairy products and hydroelectric power.

Your dollar is on a high relative to ours but not so high things aren't generally somewhat comparable. Panel repairs is considered a major expense here. 2000 US seems very very high to me.

I would like to hear some more estimates!

It's a ski resort / tourist town South Is NZ. We have high prices. About the only things we get cheaper in NZ than the US is scenery, dairy products and hydroelectric power.

Your dollar is on a high relative to ours but not so high things aren't generally somewhat comparable. Panel repairs is considered a major expense here. 2000 US seems very very high to me.

I would like to hear some more estimates!

2k might even be low for a panel

Thanks, this is super helpful. Did you have to explain anything specifically when putting the service request? Or was it because of the service advisor that they fixed it for free? I am asking this because I am not sure if the service advisors in my delivery location are nice enough, one of them told me that I won't even get default gemini wheel covers which come with new model y 19 inches because I'm taking a demo.

i took delivery about 150 miles away from where i live. the service advisor didn't do anything special. he just made sure i typed in a good description of the damage and took good photos, and selected the correct service center and date and time. a few days later they sent an estimate of cost via app, which was free, that i had to approve. the service center near my house, their tire/wheel machine was down for about 2 weeks so had to wait till it was back up. when i took it in, they changed out the wheels. then they were going to have to send it in to the body shop to repair, but a little while later they said they had an extra bumper in my color and they just replaced it. when i took it in they appeared to not know that it was a demo vehicle. i would ask for the gemini wheel covers during delivery, they should have some extras lying around. then submit the service request via app and just see what their reply is. the people on the other end of the app may or may not know its a demo vehicle and they may or may not care and approve it.

i took delivery about 150 miles away from where i live. the service advisor didn't do anything special. he just made sure i typed in a good description of the damage and took good photos, and selected the correct service center and date and time. a few days later they sent an estimate of cost via app, which was free, that i had to approve. the service center near my house, their tire/wheel machine was down for about 2 weeks so had to wait till it was back up. when i took it in, they changed out the wheels. then they were going to have to send it in to the body shop to repair, but a little while later they said they had an extra bumper in my color and they just replaced it. when i took it in they appeared to not know that it was a demo vehicle. i would ask for the gemini wheel covers during delivery, they should have some extras lying around. then submit the service request via app and just see what their reply is. the people on the other end of the app may or may not know its a demo vehicle and they may or may not care and approve it.
Thanks for your detailed reply. This is very helpful. One last thing, I heard that service requests can be put within 100 kms, but in case of demo vehicle does our account start the mileage from 0 km/miles or from the original kms/miles which is there in the vehicle? In case of latter, how will the system know about the 100 km/mile limit?

Front bumper and wheels are replacements with factory painted parts. Door is body shop. Just because they did one doesn’t mean they will do the other.

It’s discounted for a reason. Don’t count on it being fixed unless it agreed in writing at pickup.

i am not sure. but i submitted the request before driving off. the Purchase Agreement has the mileage/odometer on there, so its probably also in the computer system.
Thanks, will try my luck! I got assurance from another service advisor that tesla delivery folks will ensure that the car meets Tesla's standards before delivery. Since the scratch does not meet their standard, I'm hopeful that they will fix it or help me with a solution. Regarding wheel, the listing of my car mentions the 19" wheel, so I'm gonna argue that they include them like every other new car

Reactions: Skavatar
Guess based on what?

depends if you "wanted to have it look brand new"?? I can get it done for $100 if you don't care. OP is buying a new car.