Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprised not to see a discussion thread about the brand new Energy screens / Charts in Tesla app [7.15.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car has to have 2023 FW. Is yours older? Mine is and I don't see the car charging nor use excess solar to charge the car.
I am stuck on the FSD beta branch, version 2023.7.20 (FSD 11.4.4). (This is how Tesla punishes customers who purchased FSD and volunteered to test drive it.) Charge on solar requires 2023.26.x.

My question is about how the PW knows what the car is doing.

S

Reactions: jgleigh
They stopped shading peak or shoulder time :(
Between the graph y-axis adjustments and net usage being back, it sounds like they just need to bring back the peak/off-peak shading.
Looks like timing and pricing information has been added at the bottom of the grid graph screen, but shading or something similar on the graph itself would still be better.

on the Home usage energy screen, I see some odd solar spikes when my Panels are not really generating. When I click on the solar graph, it looks normal. I think this is a problem with the new version of the app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928-091501.png
    Screenshot_20230928-091501.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20230928-091427.png
    Screenshot_20230928-091427.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 40
on the Home usage energy screen, I see some odd solar spikes when my Panels are not really generating.
This is an artifact of how it is trying to present info and arguably a bug. In your second screenshot, you can see that before 9 a.m. where there is just a little solar, it is showing the solar on the bottom, and the grid above it, and it looks normal.

For some reason after 5 p.m. when there is little solar, it is showing solar on top, with the grid below it. So the solar is just the width of the solid yellow line during that time period, with the grey below it the grid. You can see the difference starting at about 4:30 p.m.; before then the solid yellow line is shaded yellow beneath it; after 4:30 p.m., it is shaded grey beneath it.

Cheers, Wayne

This is an artifact of how it is trying to present info and arguably a bug. In your second screenshot, you can see that before 9 a.m. where there is just a little solar, it is showing the solar on the bottom, and the grid above it, and it looks normal.

For some reason after 5 p.m. when there is little solar, it is showing solar on top, with the grid below it. So the solar is just the width of the solid yellow line during that time period, with the grey below it the grid. You can see the difference starting at about 4:30 p.m.; before then the solid yellow line is shaded yellow beneath it; after 4:30 p.m., it is shaded grey beneath it.

Cheers, Wayne
ok, I see what you are saying. I think one reason for the after 5pm display issue is that the power to the home is actually from my PW not the grid. So it must have some order preference on how it "builds" the graph. That said, if PW is completely powering house during that time, why isn't the small amount of solar going back to the grid rather than consumed by house

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928-150655.png
    Screenshot_20230928-150655.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 36
That said, if PW is completely powering house during that time, why isn't the small amount of solar going back to the grid rather than consumed by house
When you have 2 sources (PW and PV) and 2 sinks (house and grid), then it is undefined which sources goes to which sink. All you can say is that the sum of the sources is equal to the sum of sinks. How the graph chooses to further assign the numbers is arbitrary.

Cheers, Wayne

ok, I see what you are saying. I think one reason for the after 5pm display issue is that the power to the home is actually from my PW not the grid. So it must have some order preference on how it "builds" the graph.

This is definitely a UI quirk, but it looks a bit worse in your screenshots because you only selected one dimension (e.g. Solar in your Home chart above). If you keep all dimensions shown, you can tell that the area below the yellow solar line is green, hence powerwall is the majority of the area chart.

In terms of order preference: it seems to always build the areas in order of the different sections (1.home, 2. powerwall, 3. solar, 4. grid), from the bottom up.