Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration on brand new Model X at about 38mph to 60mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vibrations are so strange. They come and go, just when I think I have the right suspension mode or whatever, it'll be back. Sometimes in the steering wheel, sometimes in the seatbacks. All research is showing no real answers or solutions. For me it feels smoother the higher speed. Heavy acceleration feels like driving on a rumble strip.

My observations are the same. Above 70mph it starts to disappear and after 75-80mph it is completely gone and the ride quality is everything one would hope for from a Model X. I am hopeful that the "2024 efficiency package" introduces something - anything - improve this. I've been in touch with owners that have recently taken delivery of 2024 VINs and they claim no vibration, but those vehicles don't yet seem to have that "efficiency package".

My observations are the same. Above 70mph it starts to disappear and after 75-80mph it is completely gone and the ride quality is everything one would hope for from a Model X. I am hopeful that the "2024 efficiency package" introduces something - anything - improve this. I've been in touch with owners that have recently taken delivery of 2024 VINs and they claim no vibration, but those vehicles don't yet seem to have that "efficiency package".

mine is a 2023 delivered in December of 2023.

Does anyone have a 2022 MXLR with these issues? Trying to figure out if it's 2023 specific.

I test drove another 2023 MXLR yesterday and it was the same. I've confirmed this across (3x) 2023 MXLR now and it's awful.

When I ordered the car I did an overnight demo of a 2022 MXLR and didn't notice this problem. If it was there, I wouldn't have ordered one.

Likely going to proceed with buyback and reorder when/if there is a solution.

These cars suck and are awesome at the same time.
I have a 2023 MX LR with the same issue. They told me it's normal. If I hadn't owned a BMW IX for the last almost 2 years, I probably would not have even cared that much. But going from BMW IX (which I lemoned) to MX is like night and day. Your description is perfect,,,,it drives like and old POS that has been beaten up for years. My is now (after only 3,500 miles) starting to rattle. The BMW was silent! Even at like 85 MPH...Was like being in a library. Im hoping that they eventually refresh the MX and improve it like they did with the M3. I also own a M3 for 1 year now and it does not have the vibration...I actually think its even quieter on the road too.

Reactions: MobileMikeV
So, this shake/vibration is the only thing I can think about when I drive the X since the day I picked it up with 6mi on the odometer. Currently in process of a buy-back as a result of it. The X is great and, other than this issue, would totally keep it.

Some Questions
  1. Has anyone had any success with resolving this?
    • It seems like the suspension is the root cause.
    • I wouldn't normally think a sway bar would help, but curious is anyone has tried it and what the result was.
  2. Does anyone have an X that does not have this issue (2023+)
Other Notes / Observations
  • I've driven a 2023 Model S LR and it was perfect. The X and the S share quite a few drivetrain parts, so thought that would be a good comparison.
  • I've compared this to my 2019 M3P, 2017 Chevy Bolt, 2017 Sprinter 3500, and Fiat 500 and the X has more shake/vibration in this speed range than any of them - even the Sprinter(!)
  • While the shake/vibration falls off after 60mph, it is dead smooth above 72mph.
Buy-Back Options
If I proceed with the buy-back, here are the options:
  1. Replace with 2024 X and hope it is better
  2. Replace the X and M3P with a new Model 3 LR
  3. Just use the M3P and not take advantage of FSD transfer, then get an X whenever (if) they explicitly fix the issue or release a new X.

I have the late 2023 MXP and it does not have this issue *if the car is “warm”* i.e. has been driven for a few minutes. As I took delivery in November I still haven’t had the car in warm weather, so not sure if it’s temperature related but the vibration is definitely there when car has been sitting for a while on the first drive and then it goes away. Aside from that there hasn’t been anything I would notice either under light or heavy acceleration. The cold vibration is unmistakable in comparison as it transmits through the steering wheel.

The model S of many iterations since the 2021 year has been the subject of plenty of light acceleration vibration complaints in this forum. Not sure what the status is in 2024, my guess is it’s a hit or miss just like the X.

I’m surprised Tesla hasn’t told you it’s an issue to be addressed with a software update as is been floated here a few times. If it really bothers you carry on with the buyback and do a few 2024 test drives to see if this has gone away.

So, this shake/vibration is the only thing I can think about when I drive the X since the day I picked it up with 6mi on the odometer. Currently in process of a buy-back as a result of it. The X is great and, other than this issue, would totally keep it.

Some Questions
  1. Has anyone had any success with resolving this?
    • It seems like the suspension is the root cause.
    • I wouldn't normally think a sway bar would help, but curious is anyone has tried it and what the result was.
  2. Does anyone have an X that does not have this issue (2023+)
Other Notes / Observations
  • I've driven a 2023 Model S LR and it was perfect. The X and the S share quite a few drivetrain parts, so thought that would be a good comparison.
  • I've compared this to my 2019 M3P, 2017 Chevy Bolt, 2017 Sprinter 3500, and Fiat 500 and the X has more shake/vibration in this speed range than any of them - even the Sprinter(!)
  • While the shake/vibration falls off after 60mph, it is dead smooth above 72mph.
Buy-Back Options
If I proceed with the buy-back, here are the options:
  1. Replace with 2024 X and hope it is better
  2. Replace the X and M3P with a new Model 3 LR
  3. Just use the M3P and not take advantage of FSD transfer, then get an X whenever (if) they explicitly fix the issue or release a new X.
How did you get Tesla to buy back?
Even with latest SW, Unplugged Performance rear sway bar, Tesla balancing all 4 tires, I also have some vibration coming through the front seats between 35-45mph range.

How did you get Tesla to buy back?
Even with latest SW, Unplugged Performance rear sway bar, Tesla balancing all 4 tires, I also have some vibration coming through the front seats between 35-45mph range.
I made a good case with service that the demo I drove before ordering was smooth, this one is not, they can't fix it, and it's unacceptable for a $100k vehicle.

Eventually got it up the chain to someone willing to do the buyback.

I bought a few weeks time to try and solve on my own, so still have the vehicle. I did order the sway bar (not in yet) and am curious if perhaps it really is a characteristic of these Continental tires.

It's not the tires. I had the Continentals and swapped them with Pirelli Weatheractives for the cold season. The Pirelli's are noisier on certain surfaces and less efficient but better in pretty much all other aspects. The car vibrates the same but only on 1st few minutes of a drive after being cold (repeating myself on this a few times). I also have the UP sway bar on stiff and this does not make a difference. My vibration is felt in the wheel in light acceleration beyond 30-35mphs and is very clearly there when there. The reason I have not bothered with service is that it disappears after a few minutes. But if I had it all the time, I would surely point it out and demand a fix or a buyback.

I made a good case with service that the demo I drove before ordering was smooth, this one is not, they can't fix it, and it's unacceptable for a $100k vehicle.

Eventually got it up the chain to someone willing to do the buyback.

I bought a few weeks time to try and solve on my own, so still have the vehicle. I did order the sway bar (not in yet) and am curious if perhaps it really is a characteristic of these Continental tires.
Sway bar won’t fix since it isn’t for me. Tires will not fix either. I would also try buyback but my guess is the $ amount I would lose is significant that I might have to just live with it. How much are they buying it back at?

I assume Tesla won’t give me money back for sales tax (in TX, I have to go to the DMV and pay in full there) and if I were to replace with a 2024 Model X, I’d have to pay sales tax again.

Sway bar won’t fix since it isn’t for me. Tires will not fix either. I would also try buyback but my guess is the $ amount I would lose is significant that I might have to just live with it. How much are they buying it back at?

I assume Tesla won’t give me money back for sales tax (in TX, I have to go to the DMV and pay in full there) and if I were to replace with a 2024 Model X, I’d have to pay sales tax again.
This was an FSD transfer purchase, so:
  • Original purchase price
  • No sales tax reimbursement
  • FSD reimbursement valued at cost of original purchase (2019 for me, so $5k)
  • "good will" reimbursement for miles driven. For each mile you drove, you get reimbursed. I thought this would work exactly the opposite.
All in all, if I was to buy exactly the same vehicle again and buy FSD, I would be short about $10k. There is a still the FSD transfer offer until end of March, so I am looking to take advantage of that before executing the buyback.

Just not sure what the vehicle choice is going to be yet and thankfully we have more vehicles than people right now, so there isn't a rush to do this other than the FSD transfer window.

Reactions: skytom88
This was an FSD transfer purchase, so:
  • Original purchase price
  • No sales tax reimbursement
  • FSD reimbursement valued at cost of original purchase (2019 for me, so $5k)
  • "good will" reimbursement for miles driven. For each mile you drove, you get reimbursed. I thought this would work exactly the opposite.
All in all, if I was to buy exactly the same vehicle again and buy FSD, I would be short about $10k. There is a still the FSD transfer offer until end of March, so I am looking to take advantage of that before executing the buyback.

Just not sure what the vehicle choice is going to be yet and thankfully we have more vehicles than people right now, so there isn't a rush to do this other than the FSD transfer window.
Wow so they do make you whole except for sales tax. I’d be short about $12K then if I were to push for this.

I don’t know if a 2024 Model X would have fixed for the vibrations though. It seems like most have vibrations and a very, very few (by luck?) don’t. Unless I don’t replace with another Model X, it would be a gamble to spend $12K to land another one with vibrations.

Wow so they do make you whole except for sales tax. I’d be short about $12K then if I were to push for this.

I don’t know if a 2024 Model X would have fixed for the vibrations though. It seems like most have vibrations and a very, very few (by luck?) don’t. Unless I don’t replace with another Model X, it would be a gamble to spend $12K to land another one with vibrations.
Yeah, I am not wiling to take the gamble on a brand new one. I think the only safe approach to replacement with another X would be to buy a pre-owned one or a demo because you can at least drive it first.

If you want to do the FSD transfer it gets a bit more complex because you can't transfer to a pre-owned vehicle, so it would have to be a demo as the pre-owned ones with FSD end up being the same price as a new one. The likelihood of finding a demo that is the spec you are looking for (these are too expensive to compromise on that) AND doesn't shake/vibrate seems like a long-shot.

I just had my repurchase request approved and I've started pulling together the information they've requested about the loan. 14k miles on my 2022 LR. The vibration problem definitely has nothing to do with alignment or tires. The last software update made the symptoms worse IMO. Instead of sounding like a subwoofer-like constant drone sound, not it sounds more ratchety, and continue up to a higher MPH than before.

If you look at the brake/accelerator indicator in the dashboard, the issue is most noticeable when the bar is barely into the acceleration area, with speed between 30 and 55 mph.
I am guessing that the buyback details vary by state, as lemon laws are different in each. I'm in NC, so I'll let you know what the offer looks like once I get it.

I'm in a similar situation. There's really no other car I want to replace the Model X with. EV9 is interesting, but they don't have NACS yet and aren't allowed on the charging network. I am going to talk to the service center to see what they think the chance are of getting a "good" model X if I roll the dice again. It's a shame I'll be losing my 2.49%, 84 month interest rate

Maybe I should lower/camber adjust mine before the vibration starts. I hate to throw more money and affect the air ride quality, but if/when this shows up, I don't want to waste time dealing with Tesla trying to convince them to buy it back. Is there a consensus lowering the car + camber fix, "fixes" this? If so, what is the sweet spot front/rear?

Maybe I should lower/camber adjust mine before the vibration starts. I hate to throw more money and affect the air ride quality, but if/when this shows up, I don't want to waste time dealing with Tesla trying to convince them to buy it back. Is there a consensus lowering the car + camber fix, "fixes" this? If so, what is the sweet spot front/rear?
This particular concern seems to be a matter of the vehicle having the issue or not, rather than something that happens over time. My X had the issue from delivery, noticeable enough to the point that I made a service appointment that same night.

The camber adjustment / lower kit is to address the half-shaft issue, which does happen over time. I was able to get my X aligned properly at the "low" setting, so don't feel that you necessarily need to do mods, but the tech did mention that they had maxed-out the camber adjustment.

I just had my repurchase request approved and I've started pulling together the information they've requested about the loan. 14k miles on my 2022 LR. The vibration problem definitely has nothing to do with alignment or tires. The last software update made the symptoms worse IMO. Instead of sounding like a subwoofer-like constant drone sound, not it sounds more ratchety, and continue up to a higher MPH than before.

If you look at the brake/accelerator indicator in the dashboard, the issue is most noticeable when the bar is barely into the acceleration area, with speed between 30 and 55 mph.

I am guessing that the buyback details vary by state, as lemon laws are different in each. I'm in NC, so I'll let you know what the offer looks like once I get it.

I'm in a similar situation. There's really no other car I want to replace the Model X with. EV9 is interesting, but they don't have NACS yet and aren't allowed on the charging network. I am going to talk to the service center to see what they think the chance are of getting a "good" model X if I roll the dice again. It's a shame I'll be losing my 2.49%, 84 month interest rate
This was a buy-back rather than a lemon law, so I suspect that this would work the same for you regardless of state as it seems to be part of Tesla's policy, if I am understanding correctly. Tesla is likely to offer the buyback over lemon as the vehicle will have a lemon title if it goes that route.

These types of problems are likely why there are so many used X's listed with under 10k miles.

Many many examples in the S forum of vibration developing after a while and not at delivery - assuming this is the same vibration- as well as examples of cars having it from the onset. Weirdly, the complaints there have quieted down since some recent software updates so perhaps not the same issue, but the 2022 model folks have hundreds of pages written on topic in the S forum. The 30-55 mph range light acceleration one in particular.

I picked up a new 2024 Model X about a month ago and I have this same vibration issue.

It’s crazy to think my OG Model X from 2016 feels like riding on pillows whereas this brand new X feels like riding around with a constant vibrating chair.

I’ve taken it back two times, and both times they say there is nothing wrong. “Within spec” as usual. They were even really hesitant to even want to balance the tires.

So many good things about the new X compared to my old X, but the vibrations, especially at low speeds, is crazy annoying.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Yeah,,,Sucks. I had the BMW IX 50 prior (I was actually one of the first in the US to take delivery)...I loved how quiet and solid it felt on the road. I eventually lemon lawed it because of the battery recall. I went into purchase of the MX with wide open eyes knowing about the build quality,,,,but boy it was worse that I even prepared for. I got in when prices were cut to $79K for the car. Even at that price the quality does not match the price point. I feel sorry for the people that paid $120K or more. 10K miles in and the car is a rattle box. It feels like my first Toyota 280zx with 100k miles the way it rattles. Like yourself, when I took into service, they said that this is all normal and expected. My 2 year old model 3 drives smoother and quieter than this car.