Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration on brand new Model X at about 38mph to 60mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new 2023 Model X with noticeable vibration from about 38 mph to about 60 mph. Service Center claims there is Tesla is working on a fix and there should be one by the end of November, 2023.

My 5 yr-old Model 3 with 38K miles has less vibration than the brand new X. This has been verified and video'ed using a vibration meter app running on a smart phone using the same suction cup mount on the center screen under identical road/speed/driving conditions.

I prefer driving an old 3 to the brand new X and will probably sell the X as soon as possible.

Known issue, they all do it, though there’s some variability as to whether it happens from brand new or a few thousand miles in.

Supposedly a software fix is coming out soon. Though the TSB seems to indicate the fix is for Plaids only

Brand new 2023 Model X with noticeable vibration from about 38 mph to about 60 mph. Service Center claims there is Tesla is working on a fix and there should be one by the end of November, 2023.

My 5 yr-old Model 3 with 38K miles has less vibration than the brand new X. This has been verified and video'ed using a vibration meter app running on a smart phone using the same suction cup mount on the center screen under identical road/speed/driving conditions.

I prefer driving an old 3 to the brand new X and will probably sell the X as soon as possible.
I have no vibration at any speed on my 2022 refresh. Never have.

Reactions: ChiefRollo

I do not have any vibrations on my 2023 X. Pickup up Oct 7th and now have 1400ish miles. Also I switched to aftermarket wheels along with new tires that does NOT have the foam. Smooth as butter. Have tesla check and see if the foam became dislodged in one of the tires. Heard this causes vibrations along with not being able to balance the tire. Long shot but maybe worth a look?

I prefer driving an old 3 to the brand new X and will probably sell the X as soon as possible
The vibration is likely originating from the front drive unit. Possibly has to do with the Constant Velocity Joints. The vibration occurs over 75% of the time, and it seems to correlate with drive load on the front motor; the main variables are mild acceleration or steady speed. Under mild acceleration -- the vibration is gone.

how did your service visit go? I have one coming up in a couple weeks for similar vibration issues. Brand new car less than 500 miles.
They acknowledged it and said future update will fix it. It has gotten much better with the .44 update (car updated 2-3 days prior to service appointment) but I still told them it’s an issue. What software are you on? Most new builds come outdated and it will take a month or so before you get updates.

They acknowledged it and said future update will fix it. It has gotten much better with the .44 update (car updated 2-3 days prior to service appointment) but I still told them it’s an issue. What software are you on? Most new builds come outdated and it will take a month or so before you get updates.
2023.44.30.7 Im starting to think these Pirelli scorpion 22 all seasons are out of balance, foam released.

Reactions: Anish3232
Service visit today. Vibration was confirmed during ride along, passenger seat headrest visibly shakes. Was agreed to re-balance tires. All wheels were road forced balanced, some changes had to be made with weights. Overall its much better, but not perfect. Not sure if I want to continue to chase or let it bet.

Side note I did have a model S loaner for a half a day and the steering wheel felt much more "solid" with none of the vibrations I was experiencing with my X, although the Model S had Michelins (21s).

Last edited:
interesting discovery. So this entire time I have had my suspension on "comfort" because I thought that would be the smoothest ride. The visual graphics showing the rebound and compression lines would not move at all unless there was a major braking or acceleration event. I switched the suspension to "auto" and I noticed immediately the steering wheel felt much more solid, and all of the steering wheel vibration went away. And in the graphics showing the rebound and compression it was constantly correcting imperfections in the road. Maybe the suspension was locked and not doing its job of softening the road feel, either way I will take this as a win for now.

Not shocking, there have been hundreds of pages discussing the suspension setting feel on various iterations of refresh model S/X. Sounds like crappy software to me. I always set in auto, and don't trust their presets (including auto but have had no major complaints).

I'm experiencing the same issue with 2023 MXLR, here is my service ticket (Sep 15, 2023) and fix but the issue is back again with less vibration. The Issue started around 6k miles. See the below service ticket.

Concern: Customer states: Other · Noise & 1. Vibration - When accelerating between 0 and 60, the pedal vibrates quite often and randomly

Performed re-balanced of all tires. also removed and replace both front half shafts to help reduce vibration. advise owner future software is under development to help further reduce vibration due to minor oscillations when motor torque is applied

I very much have exactly the same problem with my 2023 Model X and I am coming from a 2019 Model 3 Performance with 82k miles. Experiencing precisely the same issue you describe. I noticed the vibration on the drive home from delivery day in September and reported it to service within 1hr of delivery.

The Model 3 is, of course, much stiffer and harsher; however, it has none of the drivetrain vibrations that the X has. On a smooth road, the 3 feels like it is driving on glass whereas the X is like a high-mileage shaky POS regardless of the road surface. It is a shame, because the ride quality is otherwise very good.

I still have the Model 3 and this vibration is annoying enough that my wife and decided to take the 3 on a 7hr road trip because of how shaky the X is, and also because it has a warped front-passenger window that makes her car-sick, which is a topic for another thread.

Attempted Repairs
  • (3x) tires were replaced due to high road force.
  • (1x) wheel was replaced due to being out-of-round.
  • Alignment
In total, I have brought this vehicle in for service 9 times in 5 month. While these fixes improved the ride, the vibration was still there.

Also, it's crazy to me that the vehicle was shipped with three defective tires and a defective wheel. The road force wasn't just a little off, either - they were showing between 28-62lbs of road force. It should be under 20lbs for a vehicle of this weight. In the end, we were able to get all four wheel/tire assemblies below 12lbs of force, which is great but, again, the vibration still persists.

Comparison
I used NVH measurement to compare it to my 2017 Sprinter 3500 cargo van with 102k miles and, believe it or not, the Sprinter has lower NVH. It just is not acceptable for $102k car to shake like this. Every time I am in another car I think "does this shake like the x" and the answer is always "no".

Result
After much convincing, Tesla offered a buy-back on the Model X. I am still waiting on the terms of the buy-back, and I did an FSD transfer, so hopefully they will refund the value of that. Should know the final outcome in a week or two.

Thoughts
As much as the Model X is what I am looking for, I am extremely hesitant to go through all this an end up with the same result, which seems highly probable. The car is so cool, it has its quirks, which I can live with, but the vibration issue is absolutely not acceptable. This is such a basic requirement for any vehicle, never mind one at this price point.

Likely going to replace it with a new Model 3. When/if there is a new X, or at least a drivetrain update, I will reconsider X. It just is not at all ok that some of them shake like this.

Reactions: novajoe83
I very much have exactly the same problem with my 2023 Model X and I am coming from a 2019 Model 3 Performance with 82k miles. Experiencing precisely the same issue you describe. I noticed the vibration on the drive home from delivery day in September and reported it to service within 1hr of delivery.

The Model 3 is, of course, much stiffer and harsher; however, it has none of the drivetrain vibrations that the X has. On a smooth road, the 3 feels like it is driving on glass whereas the X is like a high-mileage shaky POS regardless of the road surface. It is a shame, because the ride quality is otherwise very good.

I still have the Model 3 and this vibration is annoying enough that my wife and decided to take the 3 on a 7hr road trip because of how shaky the X is, and also because it has a warped front-passenger window that makes her car-sick, which is a topic for another thread.

Attempted Repairs
  • (3x) tires were replaced due to high road force.
  • (1x) wheel was replaced due to being out-of-round.
  • Alignment
In total, I have brought this vehicle in for service 9 times in 5 month. While these fixes improved the ride, the vibration was still there.

Also, it's crazy to me that the vehicle was shipped with three defective tires and a defective wheel. The road force wasn't just a little off, either - they were showing between 28-62lbs of road force. It should be under 20lbs for a vehicle of this weight. In the end, we were able to get all four wheel/tire assemblies below 12lbs of force, which is great but, again, the vibration still persists.

Comparison
I used NVH measurement to compare it to my 2017 Sprinter 3500 cargo van with 102k miles and, believe it or not, the Sprinter has lower NVH. It just is not acceptable for $102k car to shake like this. Every time I am in another car I think "does this shake like the x" and the answer is always "no".

Result
After much convincing, Tesla offered a buy-back on the Model X. I am still waiting on the terms of the buy-back, and I did an FSD transfer, so hopefully they will refund the value of that. Should know the final outcome in a week or two.

Thoughts
As much as the Model X is what I am looking for, I am extremely hesitant to go through all this an end up with the same result, which seems highly probable. The car is so cool, it has its quirks, which I can live with, but the vibration issue is absolutely not acceptable. This is such a basic requirement for any vehicle, never mind one at this price point.

Likely going to replace it with a new Model 3. When/if there is a new X, or at least a drivetrain update, I will reconsider X. It just is not at all ok that some of them shake like this.
This is really weird. My car has vibration but only when cold for about 2-3 min and not always. Once it settles it has no vibration I can discern. Did Tesla measure the road force or you did it independently? There seems to be some tolerance issue with the suspension and front motor that is too loose and variable between cars hence these inconsistent outcomes. Perhaps you should test a demo vehicle and buy a demo instead, these are usually not exhibiting weird behavior as they are there to convince customers to buy the new car.

This is really weird. My car has vibration but only when cold for about 2-3 min and not always. Once it settles it has no vibration I can discern. Did Tesla measure the road force or you did it independently? There seems to be some tolerance issue with the suspension and front motor that is too loose and variable between cars hence these inconsistent outcomes. Perhaps you should test a demo vehicle and buy a demo instead, these are usually not exhibiting weird behavior as they are there to convince customers to buy the new car.
I did take another 2023 Model X for a test drive, and it was significantly worse. My vehicle does have the vibration for the first 2-3min as well that you mention; however, that does resolve and it different from the main issue.

Tesla did not do NVH. They denied that there was an issue at all and I ended up doing self-diagnosis for NVH and cross-checked with two separate 3rd-parties who had the same findings. It was pretty poor customer service. Looking back on Tesla's diagnostic drives on TeslaFi, the techs did not drive my vehicle at the speeds mentioned and the drives were extremely short.

Additionally, Tesla road-force balance on two occasions and claims everything was within spec. I brought it to 3rd-party shops after both road-force balances and they measured dramatically higher numbers. The road-force wasn't actually the core issue, but it added to the overall vibration. It just makes me lose faith in their service department in general.

Even though Tesla ultimately replaced a wheel and several tires, I spent around $900 with 3rd-parties on alignments and road-force balances. The motor/CV-joints (or something else) are the real issue, though.

Overall, there was an extreme amount of resistance from Tesla to do anything about this regarding both diagnostics and buy-back. It was not a good experience, at all and I am hopeful that they don't push back on refunding the cost of FSD considering I did a transfer.

I agree the service centers suck. I have a choice in NJ. Springfield sucks, 3 visits for unrelated issues had my car for 2 weeks and ignored a bunch. Paramus seems better, they fixed most things.

I should probably check my alignment despite them claiming to have aligned when they replaced a faulty steering rack in one visit. But I have the cold vibration which then dissipates quickly after a few minutes of driving. If it persisted I'd be asking for a buyback too. I love most other things about the car but these 1st 2-3 minutes of a drive. I am on MXP but I think the vibration issue is the same regardless.

Does anyone have a 2022 MXLR with these issues? Trying to figure out if it's 2023 specific.

I test drove another 2023 MXLR yesterday and it was the same. I've confirmed this across (3x) 2023 MXLR now and it's awful.

When I ordered the car I did an overnight demo of a 2022 MXLR and didn't notice this problem. If it was there, I wouldn't have ordered one.

Likely going to proceed with buyback and reorder when/if there is a solution.

These cars suck and are awesome at the same time.