Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article is also interesting because it appears to only be enough for 1 stall. So this further leads credence to it being used strictly for a public "stunt" which is why they went through the trouble at all. I would expect to see an LA to DC to NY trip or possibly a Maine to FL trip from someone soonish.

I also would love to see it stay, put one here (bethesda), out 66/sterling/centreville/manassas area, north of DC 95 between Baltimore and DC, and south of DC in woodbridge. Because in this way you are allowing easy travel in and out of DC, which is a big tourist spot.

About the Service Center in NoVA being only 15 miles from Rockville, go take a look at the service centers in California. There are a bunch out there that are clustered kinda close together. I think it comes down to volume and convenience. We are in a pretty high concentration area for Model S sales. Especially here in NoVA/Maryland given that I think it is 7 of the top 10 highest median household incomes per county are located here in DC. So if anyone in the US can afford a Model S, it is going to be right here. (Louden is number 1 and I think Fairfax is number 2... cater to your most likely customers... just saying...)

Sterling already has a HUGE car market district at Rt 28 and Rt 425. Everything from CarMax to Massaratti and Lamborgini

425?

Do you mean 625 (aka Waxpool Rd.)?

- - - Updated - - -

sterling would only be about 15 miles from Rockville service which is probably one of the largest. Surprised they would put so close

As the crow flies, yeah... but it's an hour or so to get there in that you have to either hit the beltway and cross the bridge, or take 15 and either cross that bridge or take the ferry.

Certainly "close" in terms of the next one being 100's of miles away... but if you are looking for one in a good proximity to the Tyson's gallery, Sterling/Dulles isn't a bad place.

Plus it's only 10 minutes from me. :)

chickensevil is right about the Wash. D.C. area...we just returned from dinner in Reston, and the street outside Morton's looked like an exotic car show, as usual. This area can easily support a Virginia service center, especially if the Dems stay in power for 2016.

sterling would only be about 15 miles from Rockville service which is probably one of the largest. Surprised they would put so close

Sterling is much farther than 15 minutes from Rockville. It's about 40 minutes without traffic. And during rush hour, could probably easily take over 60-70 minutes.

There are a lot of Teslas in the DC area. I'm not surprised they need another service center.

Sterling would be good for Service Center, but so would Auto Park Circle in Chantilly on Route 50/ Stonecroft - You have Audi, Jeep/Chrysler,/Dodge, Ford, Infiniti, Jaguar, Kia, Mazda, Nissan, Range Rover, Toyota all in one location.

Chantilly would be nicer than Sterling. My issue with Sterling is access from the south is far harder. If we are looking at where other dealers already have locations, then off of S. Pickett St. in Alexandria would be nicer too. Better coverage of southern MD and from the south on I-95. Closer to the Woodbridge Supercharger.

Sterling would be good for Service Center, but so would Auto Park Circle in Chantilly on Route 50/ Stonecroft - You have Audi, Jeep/Chrysler,/Dodge, Ford, Infiniti, Jaguar, Kia, Mazda, Nissan, Range Rover, Toyota all in one location.

Why should Tesla put a Service Center near a bunch of car stores that are clustered together?

(And as far as Tesla stores, they seems to be aiming for high foot-traffic areas like Malls.)

Why should Tesla put a Service Center near a bunch of car stores that are clustered together?

(And as far as Tesla stores, they seems to be aiming for high foot-traffic areas like Malls.)

I would agree with this. The service center vice the store are two totally different animals. They are not trying to sell you a car at the service center. This is totally different from a dealership service center, where they will see how old your car is and a sales guy will bother you while you are getting something done and be like...

"gee, you know, your car is getting a little old... we could totally take that off your hands and put you in something new... I mean, it is only downhill from here on repairs..."

I would agree with this. The service center vice the store are two totally different animals. They are not trying to sell you a car at the service center. This is totally different from a dealership service center, where they will see how old your car is and a sales guy will bother you while you are getting something done and be like...

"gee, you know, your car is getting a little old... we could totally take that off your hands and put you in something new... I mean, it is only downhill from here on repairs..."

This is may be a Virginia dealership law thing that requires the two together. I have to double check.

I think the title of this thread is Superchargers in VA ?!?!?!?

Indeed. I was just wondering whether you'd come across info that suggested there would be Superchargers in Harrisonburg and Blacksburg and, if so, what that info was--I thought maybe the Supercharger map had been updated, but it does not look like it.

Those would be great locations for covering I-81, but as of now it doesn't look like 81 is on the planned list even through 2015.

Indeed. I was just wondering whether you'd come across info that suggested there would be Superchargers in Harrisonburg and Blacksburg and, if so, what that info was--I thought maybe the Supercharger map had been updated, but it does not look like it.

Those would be great locations for covering I-81, but as of now it doesn't look like 81 is on the planned list even through 2015.

Indeed pure speculation on my part.