Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old news. That was indicated to be part of the agreement they have with VA for the license for the Tysons store.

Sweet, thank you! I posted about this in another thread that I think that thread has somewhat died off now, which was talking about the Richmond SC. Hurray for one a bit closer to me! Any word on when it will be opening? It isn't even on the map right now on their website...

Ok.

So apparently there is going to be a Supercharger at Montgomery Mall. Construction has not yet begun, but it should happen very quick. Most likely a single stall next to two HPWC's. Almost definitely before the February DC event, but I'm thinking the congestion is going to be insane. We will have to be nice with each other.

Ok.

So apparently there is going to be a Supercharger at Montgomery Mall. Construction has not yet begun, but it should happen very quick. Most likely a single stall next to two HPWC's. Almost definitely before the February DC event, but I'm thinking the congestion is going to be insane. We will have to be nice with each other.

Close enough to Bethesda I guess ....

Ok.

Interesting. Lends credence to the idea that someone at Tesla is planning something that involves a road trip through DC; why else not just hold off and wait for the Woodbridge site?

A repeat of the West Coast run? Miami to Bangor?

Sweet, thank you! I posted about this in another thread that I think that thread has somewhat died off now, which was talking about the Richmond SC. Hurray for one a bit closer to me! Any word on when it will be opening? It isn't even on the map right now on their website...

We're conflating terms again. SC can be service center or super charger.

The deal with the dealer association and DMV was that Tesla would open a service center in NoVA to go with the sales center.

A

Bigger question is why not make it permanent and leave it in place ....

I assume congestion. A one-stall supercharger in a metro area like DC is going to be slammed--everyone coming here on a trip (and there are lots) will think to use that first for destination charging. If you are going to have superchargers that close to a big downtown destination, you'd probably want to do a lot more than one stall.

The deal with the dealer association and DMV was that Tesla would open a service center in NoVA to go with the sales center.

My understanding was that the deal is for one sales/service location. It didn't have to be in northern VA.

Now, I heard stuff and I don't know how reliable it is that Tesla was looking at a number of possible locations around the state. Both Richmond and the Norfolk area were mentioned. I last heard something about this in December. It would make sense to have a location either out in Fairfax or south of Woodbridge. Of course, I wouldn't mind something in Richmond. :smile:

My understanding was that the deal is for one sales/service location. It didn't have to be in northern VA.

Now, I heard stuff and I don't know how reliable it is that Tesla was looking at a number of possible locations around the state. Both Richmond and the Norfolk area were mentioned. I last heard something about this in December. It would make sense to have a location either out in Fairfax or south of Woodbridge. Of course, I wouldn't mind something in Richmond. :smile:

At some point, they are going to need sites in both NoVA somewhere and Richmond...Norfolk probably eventually, too. The volumes that they are talking about moving will demand it. It's just a question of priorities. If I had to guess, I'd guess something out in the Fairfax/Sterling area would come first, just because that's probably a fairly high concentration of owners out there and the land is cheap relative to something inside the Beltway. But I suppose it all depends on how much they can scale the operation in Rockville.

A

Sorry I only associate SC with supercharger. To clarify:

When they opened the Richmond Supercharger the VP of whatever it was (Cheng I think was his name) specifically said that part of their deal with VA was to be able to open both a store (Tysons) and a service center. So I was excited to hear that the service center would be opening here in Fairfax.

Ok.

I forgot to charge overnight in my 60 and thought of this post as my range was depleting this afternoon while working in Bethesda. :) I made it back to Arlington just fine.... but a Supercharger + Chick-fil-a. NICE.

Sorry I only associate SC with supercharger. To clarify:

When they opened the Richmond Supercharger the VP of whatever it was (Cheng I think was his name) specifically said that part of their deal with VA was to be able to open both a store (Tysons) and a service center. So I was excited to hear that the service center would be opening here in Fairfax.
sterling would only be about 15 miles from Rockville service which is probably one of the largest. Surprised they would put so close

Confirmation of Supercharger at Montgomery Mall.

News report from Bethesda Now:

"A Tesla Mobile Supercharging Station is coming to Westfield Montgomery Mall, adding to the electric car manufacturer’s presence in Bethesda.

According to Montgomery County records, the mall got a commercial permit this week to install a 32-square-foot Mobile Supercharging Station with a $35,000 value."

Tesla Coming To Westfield Montgomery | BethesdaNow

Confirmation of Supercharger at Montgomery Mall.

News report from Bethesda Now:

"A Tesla Mobile Supercharging Station is coming to Westfield Montgomery Mall, adding to the electric car manufacturer’s presence in Bethesda.

According to Montgomery County records, the mall got a commercial permit this week to install a 32-square-foot Mobile Supercharging Station with a $35,000 value."

Tesla Coming To Westfield Montgomery | BethesdaNow

Nice. The article does say that its a "mobile" supercharging station. I hope the plan is just to leave it in place.