Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
11QGCqK.png

Revisiting these... leaked 10 months ago... were they accurate?

Of the 20:

Green - 9 (8, +1 in progress) of them have since been built at the listed site
Blue - 3 of them have a matching location (either the NSW Grants, or 2 Tesla "find us" precise pin location) - likely to go ahead
Yellow
- 6 have a non-precise "find us" pin on the general locality - not enough info
Orange
- 2 of them have no evidence/plans to progress - not enough info (remember - plenty of sites are built without being listed on the "find us" map)

Notably - none of the locations so far are wrong (i.e. none had a site built at a different location in that suburb/town.)

1691648632138.png

(With Hobart the pin doesn't imply one site or the other so I just chose randomly)

Some regional Qld sites (Bundaberg, Mackay, Rockhampton) are also likely beneficiaries of Tesla' funding from the Qld Govt EV Charging Infrastructure Scheme. However unlike the NSW Govt scheme, the precise details on recipients/sites wasn't released.

Revisiting these... leaked 10 months ago... were they accurate?

Of the 20:

Green - 9 (8, +1 in progress) of them have since been built at the listed site
Blue - 3 of them have a matching location (either the NSW Grants, or 2 Tesla "find us" precise pin location) - likely to go ahead
Yellow
- 6 have a non-precise "find us" pin on the general locality - not enough info
Orange
- 2 of them have no evidence/plans to progress - not enough info (remember - plenty of sites are built without being listed on the "find us" map)

Notably - none of the locations so far are wrong (i.e. none had a site built at a different location in that suburb/town.)

View attachment 963690

(With Hobart the pin doesn't imply one site or the other so I just chose randomly)

Some regional Qld sites (Bundaberg, Mackay, Rockhampton) are also likely beneficiaries of Tesla' funding from the Qld Govt EV Charging Infrastructure Scheme. However unlike the NSW Govt scheme, the precise details on recipients/sites wasn't released.
If this is the site in Mandurah (technically Barragup which is on the road to Pinjarra) there’s no progress. To be honest I can’t see the point as there’s many more important locations in WA that need a Supercharger.
IMG_2182.jpeg

That's great news - but do we think it's going to happen or is has he just been given a date far enough in the future to stop people asking? Remember, the Great Ocean Road site was on Tesla's coming soon map in 2017, then 2018, then 2019, then 2020, and it was finally removed in 2021 when they effectively gave up and installed the Geelong site. What are the chances that something they tried and failed to do over nearly 5 years could suddenly be done in 10 months?

Tesla just opened their 10th supercharger in Australia for 2023, beating last year's count of 9, and only one off their all time record of 11 (in 2021).

Although if you take into account the two closed sites from last year, and decide to measure it by net growth of superchargers, it's an even more significant turnaround!

1694050433773.png

There are still 4 more months of the year left, and at least 4 sites under construction at the moment (Wagga Wagga, Yass, Calliope and Lucas) so look well on track to beat the record.

And you'll notice most of last years ones were after September, so if you go for a rolling 12 month period they've just installed 16 in that time!

at least 4 sites under construction at the moment
I looked in at the intended Jindabyne (NSW Snowy Mountains) site again yesterday and still no sign of any work or pre-work underway. I really *don’t* know how that location won’t be a disaster for ICEing during ski season BTW as even on a pretty quiet weekday getting towards the end of ski season the carpark was pretty-much full.

On a similar subject Tesla needs to renegotiate with the carpark owners for the Cooma Supercharger so all 4 bays become dedicated Tesla charging only: currently only 2 are and the other 2 explicitly allow general parking for up to 60 minutes. This used to be fine when there weren’t many EVs around but it is problematic now. On Tuesday afternoon when I charged there I followed a hotted up ICE car into the carpark - owner grabbed one of those two not-dedicated parking spots (the other one was already ICEd) then jumped out and glared me down as I mucked around to get the one remaining spot. Carpark was only about 1/4 full and from regular experience there taking those two ICE-permitted spots by preference has become something of a thing with a particular demographic there. Maybe nothing will change if all 4 bays become officially Tesla-only but it’s certainly something of an issue now, at least over the winter months.

Driving back through Cooma yesterday afternoon I saw only 2/4 of the Supercharger spots available in the nav so I didn’t risk it and went straight to the 350kW ChargeFox chargers at Snowy Hydro instead

Looks like to be firming up for 1, 3 and 5. Similar result to the round before last.

I'm still planning asking the admins of the big Aussie FB groups if they want to post an end of quarter "call to arms" request for votes. Group admins can tag "@everyone" and it notifies everyone in the group, so hooks all the members who don't read most posts.

Tesla Model 3 & Y Australia, 29k members
Tesla Owners Australia, 34k members
Electric Vehicles for Australia, 18k members
TOCA also has 1600 members and planning to do a mailout.

(there would be considerable overlap, but only need to get 400 votes to get the top 5 all Australian sites, or even 100 votes to get Port Wakefield in the top 5 instead of Orange)

On the other hand, it's annoying having to explain the "don't vote for Orange or Batemans Bay" thing every time, so it'd be nice just to let them get the win, then off the list for Q4, and save the big "call to arms" for Q4.

I often suggest excluding urban locations (since Tesla already has sites in the cities and knows exactly what the usage profiles of those sites are - they don't need votes to build more) and focusing on regional sites. If it was to happen this quarter, we'd probably leave Mansfield and suggest to vote for the highest four other regional candidates, which at the moment are Port Wakefield (#7, 503 votes), Victor Harbor (#12, 439 votes), Leongatha (#14, 411 votes) and Campbell Town (#20, 360 votes).

I often suggest excluding urban locations (since Tesla already has sites in the cities and knows exactly what the usage profiles of those sites are - they don't need votes to build more) and focusing on regional sites.
They can simply go by the number of Teslas (GPS data!) in each postcode and the prevalence of apartments/units in that postcode.

If it was to happen this quarter, we'd probably leave Mansfield and suggest to vote for the highest four other regional candidates, which at the moment are Port Wakefield (#7, 503 votes), Victor Harbor (#12, 439 votes), Leongatha (#14, 411 votes) and Campbell Town (#20, 360 votes).
Sounds like a plan.

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
Hope so..,.
Its not the best spot for a SC smack bang in the middle of an undesirable part of Jindabyne - you will definitely want to stay with the car.

The Rangers don't operate 24/7. Good luck with trying to unICE at midnight in winter.
$500. (Note the words "up to")
But the rangers don't pocket the $$$, so from their POV its just another ticket

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot