Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 182443

Even though the Newark Supercharger is recognized as being closed elsewhere in the Navigation app, it still routes me to stop and charge at Newark on trip planner. Has this bug created a situation where a driver who doesn't recognize the little closed flag on the map can be directed to Newark expecting to charge only to find out upon arrival that it is closed?
Send a suggestion to Tesla in order to fix this.

Not everyone has a CHAdeMO adapter. I'd also be pissed if I had to travel this weekend (thankfully I went through Newark last weekend) and it was down, and I had to go out and buy a CHAdeMO to use once because the SpC is down.

Not only that, if it weren't for TMC I wouldn't even have known that the SpC is down, yielding a whole different set of problems (where do I buy a CHAdeMO adapter at 11pm on a Friday night? Yeah... thought so).

The reality of EV DC fast charging is that CHAdeMO is the defacto standard. It makes no sense to invest into an electric car and self-select out of the ability to use the CHAdeMO network. As far as the price is concerned, Elon thinks that our time is worth $100/hr. If the CHAdeMO adapter saves us just 5 hours of L2 charging it is very well worth the price.

Last edited:
Tesla clearly thinks it makes sense to invest in an electric car and self-select out of the CHAdeMO network, otherwise they'd include the adapter with the car. In over a year of ownership I've yet to encounter a situation where it would have been useful, personally. I realize I don't speak for everyone, but with the Supercharger network, many people just don't need it. Although this business at Newark has me rethinking that now.

Reactions: Drucifer and Max*
Tesla clearly thinks it makes sense to invest in an electric car and self-select out of the CHAdeMO network, otherwise they'd include the adapter with the car. In over a year of ownership I've yet to encounter a situation where it would have been useful, personally. I realize I don't speak for everyone, but with the Supercharger network, many people just don't need it. Although this business at Newark has me rethinking that now.

Pretty much.

I could have used a CHAdeMO the first trip I took down to Alabama because the Greenville SuperCharger was taking forever. This last time I was happy that I had the supercharger available (even if it was super slow :mad: ) but now I guess it would be a good fallback to have CHAdeMO kicking around in the trunk.

Given the expense and the low use case for me, I almost wish that there could be a rental option for the adapter. Of course, in the event of an outage, there would be a run on available adapter rentals...

@vdiv, mikeash pretty much said what I was going to reply with.

In over a year of driving, and over 24k miles, I have yet to encounter a time when I needed a CHAdeMo. The SpC network is well build out (where I am/where I drive), and this is the first "long" east coast SpC outage that I'm aware of.

If the CHAdeMO adapter saves us just 5 hours of L2 charging it is very well worth the price.
SpC network is just slow/fast enough for me. If I had to cut the charging time down and use L2, I'd 100% take/rent an ICE. I'm not a diehard EV fanatic.
If I had to slow down my rate of charge by using a CHAdeMO frequently, I'd take an ICE on that trip too.
I'm not talking about the "o crap, the SpC broke, what do we do now" scenario.

Every Tesla owner is different, so don't group everyone into "go buy a CHAdeMO, because all EV's use it" or "it'll save you 5 hours of Level 2 charging", because it wont.

Reactions: kort677
The reality of EV DC fast charging is that CHAdeMO is the defacto standard. It makes no sense to invest into an electric car and self-select out of the ability to use the CHAdeMO network. As far as the price is concerned, Elon thinks that our time is worth $100/hr. If the CHAdeMO adapter saves us just 5 hours of L2 charging it is very well worth the price.
That may be your reality, but that's not true in much of the country. If I had to depend on CHAdeMO for traveling I would not have bought a Tesla, or any EV. They're located as onsies and are MUCH less dependable than superchargers, never mind it's not fast enough for long distance travel.

Reactions: Max*

Here's that situation. I use mine quite regularly.

That may be your reality, but that's not true in much of the country. If I had to depend on CHAdeMO for traveling I would not have bought a Tesla, or any EV. They're located as onsies and are MUCH less dependable than superchargers, never mind it's not fast enough for long distance travel.

I'm not saying depend, just like you should not depend on the Supercharger. It makes sense to be flexible with your charging options.

Given the expense and the low use case for me, I almost wish that there could be a rental option for the adapter. Of course, in the event of an outage, there would be a run on available adapter rentals...

That actually does exist:

CHAdeMO2Go:Finally An Adapter Rentalfor your Tesla! - About

There's also a forum member who loans them out for free, other than the cost of shipping:

Free CHAdeMO Adapter borrowing is now available! for N.A.

There are also a few forum members who own adapters and make them available for lending out to locals:

CHAdeMO Adapter Sharing ZeeMap

I'm thinking of borrowing an adapter from someone near me for a trip in August, which I think could finally be one where it's useful to me. I might end up buying one too, now that I'm starting to think it could be a good backup to carry with me all the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: vdiv and kevinf311
I'm sorry, what?! Sounds like the Newark supercharger is not the only issue here. Elaborate please!
Unless I misunderstood what you meant/said (and that does happen often), you implied that as a Tesla owner we shouldn't rely on Tesla superchargers.

I tried to point out the absurdity in that, and compared not relying on SpCers to not relying on gas stations. I always relied on gas stations in an ICE, and I will always rely on SpCs in a Tesla EV.

That actually does exist:

CHAdeMO2Go:Finally An Adapter Rentalfor your Tesla! - About

There's also a forum member who loans them out for free, other than the cost of shipping:

Free CHAdeMO Adapter borrowing is now available! for N.A.

There are also a few forum members who own adapters and make them available for lending out to locals:

CHAdeMO Adapter Sharing ZeeMap

I'm thinking of borrowing an adapter from someone near me for a trip in August, which I think could finally be one where it's useful to me. I might end up buying one too, now that I'm starting to think it could be a good backup to carry with me all the time.

Awesome! Thanks for posting those.