Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has got to come up with a better way of disseminating information and managing situations like this.
I completely agree. A reliable supercharger network is critical so the lack of information is really disconcerting. I can understand one stall or one pair going down but having the whole bank down for more than an hour gives me an irrational fear that I could get stuck or delayed on a future road trip.

Reactions: Max*
Technically Tesla IS getting that info out, at least to some. It shows up on my MCU as temporarily down. But that might be because I used navigation to build a route through Newark DE. It would be interesting to see what happens if those folks in Florida, California, and elsewhere that currently don't see the Newark DE super charger site as down were to enter a navigation destination that took them past Newark DE, to see if it then shows up as unavailable or not. I wonder if Tesla is hiding the fact that the supercharger is down from people based on their geographical location, or if they are hiding it unless the system thinks you may need it.

I for one DO need the Newark DE supercharger on Friday and I'm beyond disappointed that it's been down. And as other people pointed out in prior posts, this is likely one of the most critical SC between Washington DC and East Greenwich RI. I don't know how I'm going to get home without Newark but likely I will end up going across Pennsylvania to do it.

I'm beginning to question my decision to get rid of all our ICEs and go "all in" with multiple Teslas. I feel like an idiot... I never even considered the single point of failure created with the reliance on the super charger network. How could I miss that?

Reactions: rickrickrick
Technically Tesla IS getting that info out, at least to some. It shows up on my MCU as temporarily down. But that might be because I used navigation to build a route through Newark DE. It would be interesting to see what happens if those folks in Florida, California, and elsewhere that currently don't see the Newark DE super charger site as down were to enter a navigation destination that took them past Newark DE, to see if it then shows up as unavailable or not. I wonder if Tesla is hiding the fact that the supercharger is down from people based on their geographical location, or if they are hiding it unless the system thinks you may need it.

I for one DO need the Newark DE supercharger on Friday and I'm beyond disappointed that it's been down. And as other people pointed out in prior posts, this is likely one of the most critical SC between Washington DC and East Greenwich RI. I don't know how I'm going to get home without Newark but likely I will end up going across Pennsylvania to do it.

I'm beginning to question my decision to get rid of all our ICEs and go "all in" with multiple Teslas. I feel like an idiot... I never even considered the single point of failure created with the reliance on the super charger network. How could I miss that?

You must be kidding, right? There are plenty of places to charge, Lanny put a great list of alternative locations:

Newark Supercharger Temporary Closure – I-95 CHAdeMO Fast Charging Options

This will be fixed and new supercharger locations will come online in the very near future to increase the resiliency of the network.

EV isn't as convenient as ICE yet. But consider this, Tesla supercharging network is already the fastest and most reliable (least downtime) charging network in the world by a huge margin. Hopefully, more superchargers will fix this issue.

Ok, so with my car in my garage in Sarasota and planning a route to Cherry Hill NJ the NAV is perfectly happy routing me through Newark, DE.

image.jpeg

Ok, so with my car in my garage in Sarasota and planning a route to Cherry Hill NJ the NAV is perfectly happy routing me through Newark, DE.

I'm 70 miles from Newark and get different behavior depending on where I select to navigate to. If I navigate to Egg Harbor, it skips Newark and warns to drive slow. If I navigate to Hamilton Township, it has me stop in Newark to charge for 5 minutes with no warnings.

When I try to navigate directly to Newark, I get this pop-up.

FullSizeRender(8).jpg

Newark, DE: 12 stalls, zero charging, 36 hours and counting...

I'm 70 miles from Newark and get different behavior depending on where I select to navigate to. If I navigate to Egg Harbor, it skips Newark and warns to drive slow. If I navigate to Hamilton Township, it has me stop in Newark to charge for 5 minutes with no warnings.

When I try to navigate directly to Newark, I get this pop-up.

View attachment 182413

Newark, DE: 12 stalls, zero charging, 36 hours and counting...
Sounds like the navigation need more software update to fix that.

I'm still debating the full switch to Tesla and this one incident has me thinking along these lines when before it was not even a factor. The longer this lasts without Tesla communication will only cement the thought.

It really is a bad situation with Newark being down, but everybody needs to be prepared. To help in unlikely situations I have modified my UMC to be 50 feet long and added the dual charger to the car. In addition to the couple of adapter plugs that you get with the car, I have purchased a CHAdeMO adapter, a 10-30, a 10-50, a 5-20 and a 14-30 adapters. I have charge cards for Chargepoint, EVgo, Blink, Greenlots and Semaconnect. I also use plugshare and know how to change the filters to show the stations I can use. For a few hundred dollars ( err, few thousand for dual charger) and a zip lock of network charge cards, I have prepared myself to charge in almost any situation.

Last edited:
You must be kidding, right? There are plenty of places to charge, Lanny put a great list of alternative locations:

Newark Supercharger Temporary Closure – I-95 CHAdeMO Fast Charging Options

This will be fixed and new supercharger locations will come online in the very near future to increase the resiliency of the network.
Not everyone has a CHAdeMO adapter. I'd also be pissed if I had to travel this weekend (thankfully I went through Newark last weekend) and it was down, and I had to go out and buy a CHAdeMO to use once because the SpC is down.

Not only that, if it weren't for TMC I wouldn't even have known that the SpC is down, yielding a whole different set of problems (where do I buy a CHAdeMO adapter at 11pm on a Friday night? Yeah... thought so).

I'm still debating the full switch to Tesla and this one incident has me thinking along these lines when before it was not even a factor. The longer this lasts without Tesla communication will only cement the thought.
This thought crossed my mind too. We're going to be an all EV household once the Model 3 is out. What if a crucial supercharger goes down?

And then I thought about it some more, and realized if I know in advance I'd just rent an ICE. If I didn't know in advance, it wouldn't matter, since I'd show up in my Tesla to the SpC and be SOL in either case (it's not like we drive the ICE now many places, the Tesla goes everywhere).

So really, it's not an issue directly related to "going all in" or being a full EV household. It's an issue that the SpC network in general needs to be reliable.

+1 @kevinf311: CHAdeMO is much cheaper and better than ICE. Takeaways:

1) CHAdeMO adapter should reside in car (FRUNK if not used otherwise) during all road trips. Just in case.
2) When doing mileage planning, don't intend to roll into a Supercharger with less than 30 miles left. Probably 40. Slight efficiency gain of rolling in close to empty is not worth the risk.

Over time, Supercharger penetration will be thick enough to more comfortably "skip" chargers, and we'll eventually (Tesla "soon") be able to see Supercharger status more directly in the cars. It's required for fully autonomous, and I'm guessing real-time Supercharger status visibility is our Christmas present from Elon this year. Until then, we still need to exercise a degree of caution.

I don't regret having sold our last ICE. But I certainly wasn't expecting a trip to DC to become a minor adventure, which I don't really mind as much, but my family has less tolerance of.

closed10map.jpg

Even though the Newark Supercharger is recognized as being closed elsewhere in the Navigation app, it still routes me to stop and charge at Newark on trip planner. Has this bug created a situation where a driver who doesn't recognize the little closed flag on the map can be directed to Newark expecting to charge only to find out upon arrival that it is closed?