Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a device to display your front license plate on demand? It looked like your photo from 2pm had no front plate and the 5pm one did. I'd like to see how that works.
Reddy
I took it as the Commissioning Team's car (Grey Turbine Wheels) being the same color as Ted's Model S (5-pair original wheels).

But a James Bond Tag Retractor System would sell like hotplates...

Last edited:
Thanks Reddy and to the others who have provided updates through the planning and construction process.

I have managed to drive the distance and skip Amarillo, but it causes a slow down to charge to 100% during windy conditions. This Supercharger is greatly appreciated, especially considering the higher profile of Model X that should be delivered to some customers later this year.

I took it as the Commissioning Team's car (Grey Turbine Wheels) being the same color as Ted's Model S (5-pair original wheels).

But a James Bond Tag Retractor System would sell like hotplates...

Ahh, yes.

On another topic, the charge rate for me is only about 1/2 of what I've seen at other chargers

Typically I can get 375v and close to 300 amps when using a charger alone.

I came back to check unit 3A, and like 1B and 2A, I get 200 amps or less.

Also, rather than starting high amps and tapering down, I am seeing it start at 155 amps and then slowly ramp to 170-200 amps.

Perhaps Elon has throttled me since I'm local? Or does Tesla do some tuning after a new SC has been 'broken in' ??

If anyone checks in from out of town I'd like to know what kind of rates you get

Ahh, yes.

On another topic, the charge rate for me is only about 1/2 of what I've seen at other chargers

Typically I can get 375v and close to 300 amps when using a charger alone.

I came back to check unit 3A, and like 1B and 2A, I get 200 amps or less.

Also, rather than starting high amps and tapering down, I am seeing it start at 155 amps and then slowly ramp to 170-200 amps.

Perhaps Elon has throttled me since I'm local? Or does Tesla do some tuning after a new SC has been 'broken in' ??

If anyone checks in from out of town I'd like to know what kind of rates you get

Both screen shots of charging show 72-74 Kw which seems a bit low especially for reddy whose car looked to be at about 30% SOC

Thanks Reddy for all the pics and updates on the SuperCharger! I really appreciate it! I am coming from Lubbock in the morning (Headed to Pueblo, CO) so I'll check to see what kind of rates I get in the morning. By the way if you ever need to charge on the way thru Lubbock you're more than welcome to charge at my house. I have 50amp service.
Thanks again for all the info and I'll post what charge rates I find on my Model S 85.

Now Supercharing at Amarillo. I started charging at 72 miles left in the pack. The supercharger hit 318 amps at first, now tapering to 150. This is the first time I have Supercharged. Very exciting!
image.jpeg

Xlpro,

Thanks for posting, that's reassuring to see the Amarillo chargers aren't impaired. It's a fun drive to Trinidad and beyond , let us know how it goes.

Chris, my max amps was with 54 RM remaining, and was 204 amps. I am really thinking Tesla slows down locals to prevent overuse.

Last edited:
Xlpro,

Thanks for posting, that's reassuring to see the Amarillo chargers aren't impaired. It's a fun drive to Trinidad and beyond , let us know how it goes.

Chris, my max amps was with 54 RM remaining, and was 204 amps. I am really thinking Tesla slows down locals to prevent overuse.

This time of year, the other thing that can slow charging for a local is a cold (or even cool) battery. The battery may not have had time to warm up on your drive over.

Xlpro,

Then maybe change your home address in My Tesla to something like Quebec and see if it changes :p

Road Trip yesterday went very well with all Superchargers online! Drove 922 miles round trip from Lubbock to Trinidad, CO and back! Long day, but had a great time, picked up an RC Jet from my friend Scott in Trinidad. I started out from Lubbock about 5:30am and pulled in my driveway at 1:01 am early this morning! Supercharged all the way and back. I took the Amarillo route on the way there, and decided on the way back to full charge at Tucumcari, and make it to Lubbock on one charge. After leaving Tucumcari, I drove 60-65 till I got past clovis to make sure I had enough range. Past Clovis a few miles I still had 165 miles in the pack so I kicked it up to 75mph. I pulled in my driveway with 45 miles left in the pack! Fun Trip! Now I know what the car is capable of and the Supercharger network is really impressive! Here's a few pics from Yesterday. Someone hit the Las Vegas Supercharger Transformer enclosure and knocked the gate off its hinges! Glad it was still working!
IMG_2040.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2051.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG

But it's in the car. Tesla's website is always way behind. I think they upgrade it annually (at least the find us and Supercharger parts).

I'm not referring to the web page map. The Tesla Find Us page is usually very current. For instance Denton came up on it almost immediately after Denton came online. Amarillo is still not there.

Tesla Store, Service Centers and Chargers