Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the information, but I have to be farther along than Amarillo; thus, I cannot stay a night there. Unfortunately it looks like I may have to take the diesel X5 instead of the Tesla. If Amarillo or Albuquerque came online I would have been fine.

Tucumcari is now under construction, which is 208 miles from Shamrock, so you could make it without diesel. You should have no problem doing ABQ - Tucumcari - Shamrock .

Yes, I just saw that. Was not expecting Tucumcari to be next on the list. If they complete it in time, I can supercharge all the way from here to San Francisco (except for Albuquerque). However, I can do a destination charge at the Sheraton in Albuquerque and have no problems. Hopefully they will get Tucumcari up as fast as some of the other recent sites.

Still no progress? In about a month I am headed to California and finally doing a factory tour. If Amarillo and Albuquerque came on line it would be easy. I was going to stop for the night in Santa Rosa, but it now looks like I need to go to Albuquerque and stay at the Sheraton to charge. Any recommendations on where to charge in Amarillo? I am guessing Shamrock to Santa Rosa might be a stretch for my P85 (I want to at least be doing the speed limit) and I will just need to grab a few miles of charge to be safe.

Have fun at the factory tour.
It is worth the trip/experience.
If you are heading there, you can STILL take your Model S, just a slightly different path.

The Supercharger @ Perry, OK is about to come on line, probably less than two weeks.

If I might suggest an Alternate route:
You could head up through Wichita, KS to Salina, then head West thru Colorado, Utah, Northern Nevada and then across California to Silicone Valley.
Yes, it is probably more miles than through the Texas Panhandle, New Mexico and Arizona.
BUT, you would be driving in your Model S.
And there is no cost for use of Superchargers on your path.

I went to TMC Connect in Monterrey last July, using all Superchargers except RV park (seven hours of charging) outside OKC.
The Northern Nevada portion of Supercharger Network was not available at that time, SO, I had to take Southern route via Las Vegas and Barstow, then finally heading North.

I looked into that route too, but I have to do the trip in 3 days. The route if Tucumcari comes online is around 1800 miles (150 miles farther than the ICE route through Wichita Falls). The route through Kansas is 300 miles longer and so I would have three days of a little over 700 miles each day. My current plan is I might be able to get out the night before I planned to leave and drive to Ardmore, then a 634 miles to Albuquerque, 477 miles to Kingman, AZ and then 595 to Fremont. I am getting an annual service the second week of April, hope that 6.2 will be installed then and I can check out the trip planning feature. I can be more flexible on return, but getting there is more time constrained based upon my schedule. I figure I will make a decision a day or two before I depart. Thanks, hopefully it will work out, but I will get there for the tour one way or another....

The Southern Route through New Mexico and Arizona is definitely doable, and since you have time limitations makes more sense.

I believe NuclearPowered bought a car from Houston area (his P85 had Texas tags), and drove it over to Phoenix, Arizona.
I saw his car in Shamrock as it was being charged.

I believe he was the first (Non-Tesla employee) to charge @ both Shamrock, TX and Santa Rosa, NM.
You might reach out to him to see what sort of charging he did on his way West to AZ.

Per Reddy, you can make it straight thru from Shamrock (missing Amarillo) to Tucumcari if you monitor your speed (Supercharger is currently being built or + couple of hours at RV park?, there is a KOA East of town -- and they do have a pool) then 59 miles more to Santa Rosa (Supercharger).

If you can plan and time your schedule so you make it to ABQ and charge while you sleep, trip should be great.

And then on the way back (when you have more time), you can do the Middle Route: Northern Nevada, Utah, Colorado and Kansas trek.

Ah, the joy of having travel Options.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is an odd development:

It appears the HIE in Amarillo has been Destination Charger-ed. Don't you think it would be odd for TM to do this when the city is scheduled to get a Supercharger "Coming Soon" ?

I have a sinking feeling that the pretty gray dot on Amarillo will go away, soon.

Amarillo.png

It appears the HIE in Amarillo has been Destination Charger-ed. Don't you think it would be odd for TM to do this when the city is scheduled to get a Supercharger "Coming Soon" ?

I have a sinking feeling that the pretty gray dot on Amarillo will go away, soon.

If the grey icon goes away, it will probably be replaced with a red one.

Putting in "Destination Charging" is relatively inexpensive for Tesla, can fill in a gap while Superchargers are being built, and are useful long term as overnight stops for multi-day Tesla road trippers.

It is curious that this site is not on the Tesla Motors Find Us Page.

View attachment 77727
3 80A HPWCs and they're asking for reservations? How busy do they think they'll be in Amarillo?

If the grey icon goes away, it will probably be replaced with a red one.
Putting in "Destination Charging" is relatively inexpensive for Tesla, can fill in a gap while Superchargers are being built, and are useful long term as overnight stops for multi-day Tesla road trippers.

Going from Shamrock to Tucumcari shouldn't require a stop in Amarillo for 85s.
60s should be able to make it with an hour of L2 charging (at this HIE)

The lack of Supercharger in Amarillo does affect the North-South travelers, though.

I'm just glad we have another option besides the overpriced B&B there, in town. $20 to charge if you spend the night and $35 to charge up if you aren't spending the night? No thanks.

Well this is crummy. IMO, it would have made more sense to do Amarillo rather than Tucumcari, as Amarillo adds Interstate 27 and US 287 to the mix.

I have been driving by the Holiday Inn parking lot about once a week to see what is up, and so far nothing is there.

Amarillo has been on the 'Coming Soon' map for about 2 years, so it almost seems like a betrayal. I'm not sure what percentage of Model S have the 80 amp capability, but this would definitely be useful only to guests at the hotel who plan to spend a lot of time.

I'm not in town today, but I will try to call the hotel management to see exactly what is up. Perhaps this is an interim move of some kind.

I plan to travel I-40 the 2nd week of May- and I hope to be able to use a HPWC somewhere around Amarillo to make sure the Santa Rosa - Shamrock leg is doable at a reasonable speed. Of course if Tucumcari SC comes on line by then it will be unnecessary to stop in my 85. But it might not be ready by then- even though it's under construction. I'm also hoping that Perry and St Charles come on line too- that will make Tucson to Indiana via I40-I35-I70 possible vs going up to Denver via Utah...

It may also just be that they want to encourage travelers to stay at the hotel overnight *as well as* use the superchargers for en route, stop-by charging. Plugging into a HPWC for an 8-hour range charge while I sleep rather than spending yet another hour (after 10 hours on the road) bird-dogging a car that's hooked to a SuperCharger would be an attractive option...

It may also just be that they want to encourage travelers to stay at the hotel overnight *as well as* use the superchargers for en route, stop-by charging. Plugging into a HPWC for an 8-hour range charge while I sleep rather than spending yet another hour (after 10 hours on the road) bird-dogging a car that's hooked to a SuperCharger would be an attractive option...

Agreed. I don't see the SCs and Destination Charging as mutually exclusive. SCs are great for those passing through. But if I'm stopping in a city for the night, going to a hotel where I can plug in & charge while I sleep means I don't have to take the time that day (or the next morning) to go to the SC to charge up.

After looking over the HIE photos in the Tucumcari feed posted by meteoritehunter, I'm going to guess the HPWC instillation was performed independently of Tesla's destination program, and by HIE management . Why would Tesla add a clipper creek charger to the lineup? As far as I've read in other posts Tesla hasn't done that anywhere else. Tesla knows no other EV is doing road trips often enough to justify the clipper creek cost. If they were, a CHADEMO/SAE DC charger would be more effective.

My guess is the HIE owner wants Tesla travelers to crash there for the night, rather than just Supercharge and take up space in the parking lot for 30 minutes and he/she thought they'd attract staycationers by adding the clipper creek? Waste of money then because I doubt there are more than two EV's in Amarillo besides Reddy. (I'm speaking with authority since I grew up in Amarillo :p )

Why would Tesla add a clipper creek charger to the lineup? As far as I've read in other posts Tesla hasn't done that anywhere else.
Austin Hyatt is the one I've personally visited. 3 HPWCs and a J1772... I suppose it's to promote EVs overall. Also looks a LOT better than only serving Teslas.

And to quote some more trustworthy than I:
There are always outlier situations. And to Tesla's credit, at most of the destination charging locations, they've also supplied a J1772 for other PEVs. Paid for by Tesla for the owners of cars manufactured by companies other than Tesla.
I've heard that the offer for a single J1772 with a pair of HPWC's happens more often than not for qualifying locations. The only way to find out for a particular location is to apply and see what happens. It does not hurt to ask.

After looking over the HIE photos in the Tucumcari feed posted by meteoritehunter, I'm going to guess the HPWC instillation was performed independently of Tesla's destination program, and by HIE management . Why would Tesla add a clipper creek charger to the lineup? As far as I've read in other posts Tesla hasn't done that anywhere else...

In the last six months, there are a ton of destination charging sites in the North East where Tesla Motors has installed a Clipper Creek J1772 in addition to one or two HPWCs. One example: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/62633

I would like to see more HPWC at hotels with Superchargers in the North, since it is better for battery warming and pre-heating to slow charge overnight than to Supercharge the eve or the morning.

After looking over the HIE photos in the Tucumcari feed posted by meteoritehunter, I'm going to guess the HPWC instillation was performed independently of Tesla's destination program, and by HIE management . Why would Tesla add a clipper creek charger to the lineup? As far as I've read in other posts Tesla hasn't done that anywhere else. Tesla knows no other EV is doing road trips often enough to justify the clipper creek cost. If they were, a CHADEMO/SAE DC charger would be more effective.

My guess is the HIE owner wants Tesla travelers to crash there for the night, rather than just Supercharge and take up space in the parking lot for 30 minutes and he/she thought they'd attract staycationers by adding the clipper creek? Waste of money then because I doubt there are more than two EV's in Amarillo besides Reddy. (I'm speaking with authority since I grew up in Amarillo :p )

I think Tesla's Destination Charging program always includes a J1772 charger nowadays. In Owatonna, MN they provided two HPWCs and a Clipper Creek to the Holiday Inn. I think the pitch to the hotels is that they can attract *all* kinds of EVs, not just Teslas, and the cost to Tesla is not significant. Similar to Tesla releasing their patents for anyone else to use in EVs because the goal is get everyone to move to electric.

I'm beginning to wonder if Amarillo will indeed get superchargers but not necessarily at Holiday Inn Express.

The teslamotors.com supercharger map just got updated. Trinidad is no longer 'coming soon' , but Amarillo still shows 'coming soon'.

i mentioned before I didn't think the HIE location was very good, as it is a mile from the interstate, and poorly located for anyone going north/south on I27.

There is still no building permit approved, as of last night. I will keep hunting for more info.