Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albert Lea, MN - Happy Trails Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to the guys here (and made sure they were OK with me taking some pics). They've done a few (other brand) chargers in the area and didn't understand on these Tesla ones "where do you put in your credit card to pay?". Got to enlighten them a bit on the way Tesla does it.

upload_2019-5-11_8-47-42.png

He was also remarking that there's a lot of work that goes on that all gets buried in concrete...don't we know it.

upload_2019-5-11_8-49-3.png

Before anyone asks...let me say...these are probably (like 99%) the v2 style SC's. I've never seen a v3 SC...but I've been to my share of v2 stations and I know exactly what that equipment looks like. :)

I actually spoke with someone from Tesla about the v2 versus v3 question recently. Basically he said that anything under construction now has been under development for months and that if they changed to make a site a v3 then they would have to go back to the start as far as permits, approvals, plans and all that sort of stuff. So we're likely to see a bunch more v2 stations until the ones that started at v3 are ready to build.

Yes, I imagine the permits and such include power connection requirements which will be different for a v3? Obviously, allow for higher peak power. I thought I read somewhere they were planning to use a battery pack-up (enhanced powerwall type unit?) to smooth the peak power demand in places where they are metered by peak power too, but obviously the supply connection will have to be bigger. So a different setup altogether, requiring different permits.

Reactions: IT Geek
Yes, I imagine the permits and such include power connection requirements which will be different for a v3? Obviously, allow for higher peak power. I thought I read somewhere they were planning to use a battery pack-up (enhanced powerwall type unit?) to smooth the peak power demand in places where they are metered by peak power too, but obviously the supply connection will have to be bigger. So a different setup altogether, requiring different permits.
If they add a power wall (or equiv.), the peak power would be lower. The site would need the same power load (or a little less) but addition of one electrical gizmo. I'm not sure that would need re-authorization. The power load might also be a bit cleaner, so the electric utility might be happier about it.

Last I saw on Monday not much progress so I was certainly wrong about progressing like Robbinsdale which sounds like it's just awaiting inspection but everything there is in-place. Still just the metal pipes sticking up from cement footings representing each stall.

I stopped in in the wee hours this morning. No bollards yet, but lots of equipment installed and the trench was filled. I think the transformer might even be in place, but it seemed to be a non-standard shape so I wasn't entirely sure it was a transformer.

I then circled back to the existing Albert Lea supercharger. The ramp from I-35N to I-90E was closed which resulted in a 10 mile detour. I had 10 miles remaining so I drove slow and arrived with 0 miles left on the battery. Then it took ages for the supercharger to get up to a speed over 1kW. I tried all 4 stalls and was only getting 1kW at each. Finally after about 15 minutes it ramped up to 60kW and then 105kW. I've let my battery go down to zero a few times and had never experienced this type of behavior.

I also felt lucky that the stalls were not ICEd. With only 4 stalls and 2 of them allowing for overnight ICE parking, this location is super worrisome. The new one can't open soon enough.

I stopped in in the wee hours this morning. No bollards yet, but lots of equipment installed and the trench was filled. I think the transformer might even be in place, but it seemed to be a non-standard shape so I wasn't entirely sure it was a transformer.

I then circled back to the existing Albert Lea supercharger. The ramp from I-35N to I-90E was closed which resulted in a 10 mile detour. I had 10 miles remaining so I drove slow and arrived with 0 miles left on the battery. Then it took ages for the supercharger to get up to a speed over 1kW. I tried all 4 stalls and was only getting 1kW at each. Finally after about 15 minutes it ramped up to 60kW and then 105kW. I've let my battery go down to zero a few times and had never experienced this type of behavior.

I also felt lucky that the stalls were not ICEd. With only 4 stalls and 2 of them allowing for overnight ICE parking, this location is super worrisome. The new one can't open soon enough.
The existing location is really suffering. When I was through there a few weeks ago, we had to move to another stall to get decent charging. The new location can't come online soon enough. I really wonder if they'll keep the existing site active given its many deficiencies.

I was in the area yesterday and there is nothing changed. The fencing around the parking area has been removed but there are no Supercharger stalls installed yet, just the footings and conduit sticking out of each footing. The electrical area is still fenced off and it looks like most of the electrical equipment is installed. Not sure why progress has ground to a halt this site. I did charge at the old Supercharger and it was very spotty for pretty much everyone who was using it. Slow rates, failed charging, a lot of moving between stalls.

• Informative
Reactions: jayhanke
Not sure why progress has ground to a halt this site.
Progress ground to a halt for the same reason it has ground to a halt at many other supercharger construction sites currently. There is a massive shortage of charging pedestals. So, lots of sites will reach the stage where everything is pretty much done except for putting those in and hooking up to the utility and then just stop while they wait for a renewed supply. Hopefully by the end of July the issue will start to be remedied.