Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mario,

I asked my contact about SpaceX shares and he said the minimum investment is $50K so one cannot pick up 100-200 shares. I am still going through the process of getting some shares and will write an update once it is done to let you know how it turned out.

This news about spacex is very interesting. I would gladly parlay my tesla shares for spacex shares. I'm looking into sharespost as well.

Mario,

I asked my contact about SpaceX shares and he said the minimum investment is $50K so one cannot pick up 100-200 shares. I am still going through the process of getting some shares and will write an update once it is done to let you know how it turned out.

Interested and looking forward to hearing your feedback. Are you using Sharespost? Any restrictions on foreign ownership, being a fellow Canadian?

I think that this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there are shares available on sharespost.com, however I am concerned about the fee of 5% or $5K (whichever is greater) to place the trade, and the whole bartering process whereby the share value is determined. Does anyone have further information on this/tried this before? I am also interested in cardioDX and Uber, but 5% upfront (assuming a $100K investment, which is the most cost effective) is awfully steep. Seems like a good way to diversity out of the general market, though...

I think that this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there are shares available on sharespost.com, however I am concerned about the fee of 5% or $5K (whichever is greater) to place the trade, and the whole bartering process whereby the share value is determined. Does anyone have further information on this/tried this before? I am also interested in cardioDX and Uber, but 5% upfront (assuming a $100K investment, which is the most cost effective) is awfully steep. Seems like a good way to diversity out of the general market, though...
Count me interested if ownership in SpaceX is available pre-IPO.

I wonder if one could set up a fund that owned SpaceX shares (so there was only one extra owner), which could then sell units in the fund? Sort of an indirect IPO?

Interesting idea but isn't there a rule where private companies cannot have more than 'x' owners or else they are forced to go public? I wonder if "subleasing" private shares would be allowed (I would assume no unless authorized by the company, which I doubt they would like), and how that would affect the ownership/forced to go public rule.

Your best bet is to sign up on Sharespost.com and contact them about shares. The minimum is $50K to buy in for SpaceX. I am in the process of bidding on some shares but it is taking longer than I was expecting - they need to find a seller and it seems like they are having trouble right now.

Figured I would update you all on my quest for SpaceX shares. Initially my communication with Sharespost was positive and there seemed to be share available. I made a bid for about $100K of shares and didn't hear anything for a couple weeks. Eventually after a couple emails they got back to me and said they didn't have any shares available at the moment for 'small' offers like mine. I guess it's all relative! I will stay in touch and hopefully something will turn up eventually.

Figured I would update you all on my quest for SpaceX shares. Initially my communication with Sharespost was positive and there seemed to be share available. I made a bid for about $100K of shares and didn't hear anything for a couple weeks. Eventually after a couple emails they got back to me and said they didn't have any shares available at the moment for 'small' offers like mine. I guess it's all relative! I will stay in touch and hopefully something will turn up eventually.

What is an amount they will entertain? Perhaps we could crowd source enough for us to get some shares, if there is an attorney amongst us that could set up an LLC perhaps we could buy the shares with the LLC and each of us get a portion of the LLC equal to the percentage that we put into it. Not sure how much the share(s) would cost.

The idea might stink but it could get some ideas rolling, I think there are a lot of is here that would be interested in owning some space x.

I've never done anything like that before so I'm not the expert to get the ball rolling.

PLEASE make sure that if you go the "shared LLC" route, you very, very carefully think through what the exit strategy would be. Let's say I throw in $999 million, which, I'll safely suggest, should ensure I'll control the lion's share of the LLC. Then, at some point down the road, I decide I want to put those funds in The Next Big Thing. How is my share evaluated? What happens to the rest of you who have to cough up my $999mm + appreciation?

And so on. It gets tricky quicky.

PLEASE make sure that if you go the "shared LLC" route, you very, very carefully think through what the exit strategy would be. Let's say I throw in $999 million, which, I'll safely suggest, should ensure I'll control the lion's share of the LLC. Then, at some point down the road, I decide I want to put those funds in The Next Big Thing. How is my share evaluated? What happens to the rest of you who have to cough up my $999mm + appreciation?

And so on. It gets tricky quicky.

Is there a better way to do it? I guess it depends in how many shares $1m will get you. I know nothing about it, but if $1m would get you 1000 shares there should be a much better way than the LLC. From what was said it almost sounds like they would entertain something larger than $100k, it's just what is the magic number and what quantity would it get us.

Is there a better way to do it? I guess it depends in how many shares $1m will get you. I know nothing about it, but if $1m would get you 1000 shares there should be a much better way than the LLC. From what was said it almost sounds like they would entertain something larger than $100k, it's just what is the magic number and what quantity would it get us.

What at email address did you get a response from?