Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Till it isn't, everyone was touting the low degradation of the S till software knocked off a bunch of range and wrecked supercharging speed.

Perhaps. You nor I know for sure. Many changes have been made over the years. It is a gamble. If one wants absolute certainty (or at least fewer unknowns), stick to something that has been around for over a century. Gas cars.

Last edited:
the more i think about it, the more leasing seems to make sense for a tesla. Let it be someone else's problem at the end of the 4 years. Charge to 100% everyday on a supercharger, doesn't matter, not your car, doesn't change your tradein cost

That's where I ended up, after owning my first Tesla for 5 years and then selling. However, it was partially driven by change to Calif. carpool lane regulation that expire after 3.x years. Obviously a lease is not the most economical way to use a car, and the lease factors are a huge money maker vs. low rates available for purchase. But if you are willing to pay the premium then benefits of hardware upgrades every 3 years and no warranty / service issues are a positive. The lower costs of no maintenance, no gas, etc. help me "justify" the lease.

I've loved my S85, but when Tesla with no explanation or notice capped my supercharging speed to less than half the former speed with a software update almost a year ago as has been done to most if not all older cars. that was it for me. My car is now a city car. Long trips are not practical when it takes 90+ minutes to supercharge. My car only had 40k miles on it when this was done.

You can peruse the chargegate threads, all 500+ pages of them, for the reason why Tesla is doing this but the bottom line is that it's to avoid battery failures during the warranty period. The equivalent would be for GM to disable 4 cylinders in your Corvette via an unannounced software update to reduce engine failures under warranty.

I've loved my Tesla and hope to be back someday when Tesla can guarantee reasonable charge rates for the life of the battery pack. Car is sold and new car is in the garage. Not going to get into what I got because I don't want to turn this thread into a Tesla superfan hatefest but it's not an EV.
Totally understandable. I ended up buying a used P85D through Tesla end of 2018. Part of the reason I paid more and purchased through Tesla than a 3rd party was because of the free supercharging and warranty attached should things happen. I do a fair amount of driving even though at the time my Tesla was my 3rd vehicle. The plan was for my Tesla to be my daily and to take advantage of the supercharging network to do road trips. I drive my cars til they die, I'm not a buy then sell a car a few years later like some people so I planned to own this thing for the long run. I flew to Cali to get my car so my first road trip was driving my 'new' to me car back to Colorado. I loved having time to stretch my legs or grab a bite while the car charged. I did several trips that fist year including CO-AZ, CO-NM, CO-UT. Then my car got the sw update that nerfed the charging speed. Recently with the COVID outbreak I considered driving to my dads house down in FL since I'm working remotely anyway. Something that would have been a no brainer before the update but now the thought of taking nearly a full day of charging (@70-50kwh max) just irks me. Before the quick stretch stops now become a sit and waste time while my car crawls to its required charge to depart. I'd fly if I didn't need to bring my dog with me but here I am still in CO. Barely 2 years into my ownership and I love the car but the fact that I purchased the car with certain expectations of time required to make a stop to charge that now takes so much more additional time due to an update out of nowhere that it just became a city car which isn't what I intended for it to be. Part of me regrets not just buying the TM3 I pre-ordered all those years ago and paying the same amount I did for a P85D. I'll just wait to see what comes of the settlement but I have some second thoughts about a newer Tesla in my future and curious to see how other EV markets evolve for my next potential car.

Hell hath no fury like a customer scorned.

People can understand your disappointment at getting your Supercharging slowed down, but this was not something done by Tesla to hurt their customers, but a necessity to prevent early degradation of your battery pack. Neither option was going to make customers happy about it, but their internal data evidently pointed to slowing down the speed of charging to be the better choice.

This is simply the reality of the situation. Other Tesla owners have been blessed with faster charging, more power, enhanced range etc from the same internal data evaluations.

Your bad luck was when you purchased an 85 battery. Tesla also became aware of the shortcomings of that pack and quickly moved on to make improvements in design and manufacturer that benefited the later buyers of the 90 & 100 packs.

Your car still has much of the inherent goodness of your car, especially when charging at home. Supercharger speed is a significant and unique atribute for Tesla, but in your case that battery is just not up to snuff.

I had a similar issue, but was of my own choice. I purchased a 75X. Fantastic SUV, but after owning it for a while I realized that the 75 battery had shortcomings. I wanted to tow longer distances, and not stop so often to charge when I began making more frequent trips from San Diego to San Francisco.

When I noticed that the new Raven Model X had lots of the improvements I wanted, like faster supercharging, longer range, more power, better handling and smoother suspension, I began making plans to upgrade. When I became aware at how much less expensive the newer model Tesla were, I made the leap. Never been happier. Just recently Tesla began rolling out a newer generation of V3 Superchargers that have speeded up my charging even more. Extra bonus.

Please don't get focused on one single disappointment from your Tesla experience. Don't take it personal, like it is something that tesla did to intentially inconvenience you. In life there are often disappointments, but still life is good.

Please take a fresh look at the latest Tesla offerings. The latest Model S/X+ has even greater range and faster charging, the Model 3 offers nimble handling at a great price, the new Y offers much more space and efficiency. Lots of goodness out there.

Dodgeing warranty claims is an assumption that you and others have made. It might also be that it was being done to protect the battery packs of customer cars.
Not saying I know which is the truth, might be some of both.

I do know that Tesla is constantly making improvements to their lineup. That they learn from their mistakes and the newer stuff is better.

Personally, I would prefer Tesla to reinstate the faster charging profile, then if/when the battery goes bad, sell me a new one for a reasonable amount of money

I’m a low mileage driver at the moment, but do undertake occasional long trips involving Superchargers. Doubling the necessary time spent charging was never on my radar, and Tesla’s actions have irked me somewhat

Reactions: First EV
Dodgeing warranty claims is an assumption that you and others have made. It might also be that it was being done to protect the battery packs of customer cars.

I do know that Tesla is constantly making improvements to their lineup. That they learn from their mistakes and the newer stuff is better.
What are you talking about? “Protect the battery packs of customers” is BS. The battery is under warranty so the customer is already protected. Unless you mean safety wise in which case I’m sure that’s something tesla would have to communicate to the customer. Instead they quietly pushed the software and nerf’d the battery. They are clearly trying to protect themselves from warranty claims.
I’ve never seen anyone try as hard as you to defend Tesla at every turn.

Last edited:
Tesla has recently updated its warranty (removing unlimited miles from all models), including the threshold of a "minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period."

An interesting argument could be made for those who have had capacity and/or Supercharging speeds reduced by OTA updates if Supercharging speeds are reduced by more than 30% (i.e., it takes 30% longer to reach a given SOC from a starting SOC under optimal conditions like 75 degrees F ambient). That would trigger a warranty claim.

So they are either dodging warranty claims or there is a very real safety issue they are covering up via software.

Which is it?

But no one should be surprised that an early production vehicle “could” have unforeseen issues.
Batterygate has crippled many 2017 owners already and probably will impact all the way to 2019 since according to one of the most famous Tesla hackers all of teh 75kwh packs ever produced have the batterygate design fault which includes Standard Range Ravens that only just went out of production. I personally don't think very many people will consider 2017-2019 Teslas to be "early production vehicles" in any circumstances. It's not even right to call them "unforseen results" when the problem went public before a lot of the cars that will eventually be downgraded were even built yet.

Dodgeing warranty claims is an assumption that you and others have made.

Dodging warranty is an assumption you yourself made. It's the justification you made. If they weren't dodging warranty, there is no purpose to what you said - we as owners always had the choice to daily charge to 100% or 70%, until Tesla took away the choice and never let is fully charge ever again. That's for their benefit, not ours. We paid for what they took, they took it to avoid paying us back for the warranty we bought from them. At least, that's what you imply yourself. It can't be any other way, we already had the choice to preserve our out of warranty longevity and there's no legitimate reason to steal that from us.

You kind of allude to them dodging safety laws with the thefts at the end there too. Let's hope that isn't true, there will be some serious legal repercussions for Tesla if they concealed safety problems from any of us. Life threatening safety fraud could threaten everyone's warranty if the government makes a big enough deal over it.

Last edited:
I am referring to my S. I don’t have a 3. We are in the S forum. If anything, the 3 will be better off than the S.

[EDIT] As @glide so eloquently pointed out to me, I shouldn’t have replied to the point about the 3 while using an S as an example without clarifying. Apologies.]
I’m not so sure about that, I believe Bjorn Nyland has a video showing his model 3 has reached the DC charge limit that is now throttling his SC speeds.

Is Bjorn supercharge capped now too? I saw the video where he was capacity capped already but not the supercharging. Too bad, I thought maybe they had fixed the problems on those newer batteries but if he has both it sounds like Model 3 is still going to get all of the Batterygate issues, but more quickly than we saw with Model S.

Reactions: First EV
the more i think about it, the more leasing seems to make sense for a tesla. Let it be someone else's problem at the end of the 4 years. Charge to 100% everyday on a supercharger, doesn't matter, not your car, doesn't change your tradein cost
Those is what I've come to after 2 S's. Even at 25k miles per year, I'm ok with the mileage penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.