Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P100DL+ owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! Long time lurker and Model 3 owner. Recently upgraded from my 2018 M3 to a 2016 MSP100DL+!

Absolutely love the car and what a difference between the two models. Granted the MS has older tech it's an amazing car thus far!

Here's a quick run down of the specs
P100D
Ludicrous+
FSD
FUSC
40k miles
HV Battery and DU under warranty until 12-17-24

Snagged it for an amazing price out of Florida and made the road trip back to Texas with ease! (Always wanted to do a multi state drive in a EV).

Currently on MCU1 and considering updating it to MCU2. PO stated he updated the cameras a few months back (not really sure what they entails). Wondering what anyone experience has been with the update. FSD in this seems similar to my EAP on the M3. How far can the software go after the update?

Any recommendations on dos and donts? What to look out for? And how concerned should I be about the HV and DU? Purchased from a older gentleman who upgraded to a 23 plaid. He was the original owner!

One thing I noticed is the charging is much slower than the M3 or my GFs MY. Is there anything that can be done about this? Currently where I live I have to use supercharger to charge the car. I have been using the supercharger on my M3 for the last 50k miles and never had any issues

Looking forward to learning more about the car and putting a whole lot more miles on it!

Attachments

• 20240513_003116.jpg
    20240513_003116.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240513_003143.jpg
    20240513_003143.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240513_003108.jpg
    20240513_003108.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240512_212654.jpg
    20240512_212654.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: SilverGS and byeLT4
I would say your slow charging complaint is normal but just to be sure pay attention to the kw your car is charging at when at a low state of charge.

You will need to do research on the rear motor rotor coolant bypass. All of these large rear motors have the potential to leak internally and flood the inverter with coolant. This happens slowly and eventually will cause errors and make the car refuse to move. Either proactively bypass the rotor cooling or have a plan and the money to replace the motor when it does have problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Yelobird
I would say your slow charging complaint is normal but just to be sure pay attention to the kw your car is charging at when at a low state of charge.

You will need to do research on the rear motor rotor coolant bypass. All of these large rear motors have the potential to leak internally and flood the inverter with coolant. This happens slowly and eventually will cause errors and make the car refuse to move. Either proactively bypass the rotor cooling or have a plan and the money to replace the motor when it does have problems.
Thanks for the info will definitely look into that. Anyone in the Houston area? Any recommendations for align shops ?

This thing is REALLY FAST, yet so comfortable under normal driving. 😁

Also another recent thread says you are unlikely to actually get FSD on MCU1. Unless you REALLY have a unicorn car there!

Even if you have the FSD capable computer listed, they won't push you the software to old MCU1. Does your software screen actually say FSD and do you have those options in the autopilot menu?

I would definitely recommend going for the MCU2 upgrade. It's a much better experience than the MCU1. It also opens the door to the latest FSD beta software (12.3.x at the time of this post with 12.4 starting to roll out) assuming the previous owner upgraded the cameras (like you noted they did).

If your car has unlimited premium connectivity, you'll still have it after the MCU update.

Reactions: Jpandes
thanks guys !

Car does have full FSD included with the car but is still on MCU 1. Not sure why the cameras were updated only but I guess we will see once MCU2 is installed. I have a service appt next week to get the upgrade for hardware and software done. Tesla only charged me $1500! Looking forward to the better FSD system! Love this car and even though the tech is older than my M3 it's a way better car! Very friggin fast !

Reactions: byeLT4