Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2016 P90DL w/SC01 or 2017 P100DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Hey guys, I’m considering getting another older model Tesla similar to my 2015 P85DL that I sold.

So 2016 with 70K KMs Free Supercharging Lots of nicks and scratches battery shows 240 km at 40% seems like it’s pretty high capacity unless it’s not directly proportional?! C$40K

Or 2017 P100DL that I test drove today. Wow is that thing fast! It’s spins all four tires on a hard launch! No Free SC, $14,000 more C$54K

But I really like free supercharging even though I barely need it. It’s just fun to own. Do you know what I’m saying?!

On the other hand, the 2017 is a vastly different vehicle, it’s just crazy how hard it accelerates! More range. Less wear and tear. Paint is 90% interior is black but okay. It’s got these big yellow bands on the LCD screen. I’m not sure how expensive that is to fix? Really don’t feel like ordering on eBay and taking a chance myself I would probably get it done at the dealer. Anyone know how much the cost is to repair that in Canadian dollars?

This is just a temporary car that I plan on owning for two years max Will trade it in on something better, like a new Plaid and I would love to transfer the free supercharging hence I’m thinking about the older one.

But two years in the newer one will be great it has Semtry mode, I think it’s got a sunroof which I like, overall it seems Like it’s been babied versus the 2016 is like a soccer mom-powered; dragging equipment bag over the bumper, countless times with scrapes scratches and gouges in the bumper and scrapes on just about everybody panel. All 4 21s curbed. Can probably buff some of the stuff out but geez, how is it? People can be so rough on a vehicle?!

Thanks very much for reading and any advice is appreciated!

Is this a pre or post face lift p90dl? As a pre face lift p90dl owner I would really have a difficult time picking it over a p100dl. I like having the next gen seats and hid projector headlights but I didn't arrive here because I wanted a 90kwh car it's just what I could afford at the time. My car was a trade in to tesla before I owned it so FUSC is gone.

I would pass on the p90dl all together unless you know where to buy it and immediately trade it for the supercharging transfer. The way you describe the paint you aren't going to be able to live with it for 2 years.

Unfortunately, it’s an early 2016 pre-facelift, no fender cams, no century, AP 1.0.

It’s still a nice car though and a pretty decent deal I think with free supercharging and premium connectivity. I tested the charging bug going to a local supercharger and managed 112 kW max at 20%. Not bad

It showed 240 km at 40%

IMG_3793.jpeg

I couldn't care less about auto pilot or FSD, that's not why I wanted to buy a tesla. Is it going to bother you? Ultimately you're going to buy a newer car in a few years that will certianly have these features. That being said the dynamic cruise works very well, I enjoy using it daily.

From here the car looks good but it's easy to make a car look good in pictures. I assume the car is out of warranty, look at the battery sticker behind the passenger fender well to determine if the battery has been replaced with a remanufactured battery. If it has been replaced I would really bump up my date on trading it in. If it is on the original battery I would feel more confident in owning it for a longer time. The only exception to a replacement battery would be if it were a 350V battery (the sticker will list the pack voltage). The 350V battery is a new not remanufactured battery that should be more reliable than the original 400V battery at the cost of acceleration.

Also you need to decide how you want to address the rear motor coolant bypass for either car p90d and p100d. Leaking coolant seals destroy these large motors and you have to be proactive before the car complains of isolation faults.

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4 and easyev
I know what you mean full self drive is a bit of a party trick, the crazy acceleration of the faster, Teslas. It’s fun, but it wears off.

We’ve done many road trips in our older Tesla and it was so enjoyable auto pilot did about 80% of the driving. I wasn’t sure if auto pilot was better on AP2.0? My 2015 would often panic on country roads; out of nowhere it would crank the wheel left or right. I always caught it, but it was a bit of a scare and looks from my wife “saying just drive the car will you?!” The 2022 Model S was great on the country roads in upstate New York. Not a big deciding factor just kind some kind of autopilot.

The 2017 would definitely feel like an updated version of my 2015 and would get me my much missed sunroof back as well which would be nice. On the other hand has that.

I don’t mind the slower charging of the older Teslas, it gives the family enough time to eat while it’s charging… 45 minutes to full is fine by me!

Thank you for the tips on the battery I’m going to ask the sales rep to check that for me but he’s really not very knowledgable at all and seems to be a bit of an EV hater. Pretty used to that by now!

14,000 plus tax, for century mode, a lot more power and no free supercharging.

The 2016 would be almost a mini project car buffing out the scratches and doing paint correction fixing up the wheels, etc.
It slipped on the high-speed corners a lot more than I thought it would. Maybe the tires are just old. They are Michelin pilot something or other summer tires.

The free streaming and premium connectivity is also a bit of fun. It’s not a lot of savings, but I’ve gone from spending a fortune per month to having to cut back due to business slowdowns and have sold my Plaid. I need to update my signature!

The 2017 P100D feels a heck of a lot closer to Plaid than the 2016 P90D but the older car a lot of smiles on my face! One thing that left the 2016 at a disadvantage is it only had 20% charge for the test drive. The 2017 was 94%. From what I remember on my old Model S there was a big difference in performance from 20% to 90% SOC!

It’s going to be a company car as well, and I know the guys would enjoy being able to juice it up whenever wherever and not worry about credit card charges.

Reactions: byeLT4
Yes 20% SOC definitely was the acceleration problem with the p90d. These old cars drop off in power noticably as the battery is discharged. I really think you are set on the P90D you just need someone to tell you to do it! I also expect the sales rep to never get back with you on the battery label. You'll have to see it in person to get that information.

• Funny
Reactions: easyev
I have a 2017 P100D I bought used from Tesla Oakville back in 2020. I had a signature S with free supercharging that I gave up. I don’t really miss the supercharging as I don’t drive much, but happy to have free connectivity. Also have AP3 and FSD as Tesla pushed it on all cars back then to get the prices up.

I also had the yellowing on the screen that Tesla will apply ultraviolet or something like that once free to help reduce it. It never fixed it on mine so I ended up buying MCU2 and had the whole thing swapped. My feelings is that MCU2 is absolutely needed as MCU1 is pretty slow. Worth checking that on the two cars.

I feel that I’m okay with the older cars while still in battery/drive unit warranty. I’m covered until Nov 2025, and still covered by Tesla used warranty until the end of July. The guy who bought my Sig S had to replace the whole drivetrain for like $20k 9 months after he bought it from me. Keep that in mind when buying used.

Good luck!

Reactions: byeLT4 and easyev