Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wh/m - P100DL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, could I sense check something with you all.

I've just bought a 2017 P100DL and I have just driven it 220 miles on a trip for the first time. This has given me an average wh/m of 419.

I've been driving mostly at the limit (70), and it's 1 degree C outside, with autopilot on for most of the journey.

Now I've come out of a 2017 75D, which I've had since new and done over 100k miles in, and I'm fairly sure this same journey (not that I could have got 220 miles in a trip) would have been around 350 wh/m.

They're on the same wheels (21") and are pretty much identical otherwise.

Does this seem about right?? Can anyone else confirm this, or do you think I have something wrong with the P100DL?

I've just bought a 2017 P100DL and I have just driven it 220 miles on a trip for the first time. This has given me an average wh/m of 419.

I've been driving mostly at the limit (70), and it's 1 degree C outside, with autopilot on for most of the journey.

Now I've come out of a 2017 75D, which I've had since new and done over 100k miles in, and I'm fairly sure this same journey (not that I could have got 220 miles in a trip) would have been around 350 wh/m.

Does this seem about right?? Can anyone else confirm this, or do you think I have something wrong with the P100DL?
Not sure I've heard of a "DL". But I can tell you that I've seen differences that large just in my 15' 85D depending on the tires and terrain easily enough. And now you've got a P model which has a less efficient rear motor...

Wow 419 seems high to me. My 2015 Model S P90DL with 21" wheels has a lifetime average of 325-350 wh/m.

A lot can push consumption high. Some other examples:

This Thanksgiving I had an average of 404wh/mi @ 72mph, and climbing 793 ft, 5mph headwind. Temps were 39F on 19" wheels and AS4 tires.

In contrast back in July, I averaged 291wh/mi @ 72mph, dropping 188 feet, no wind. Temps were 77F on 20" wheels and summer tires.

I took that same July route last Christmas Eve, Temps were in the single digits with a 5mph headwind and I averaged 431 wh/mi! That's only 60% of what the car is rated for.

My 2019 is a raven, so it should be a bit more efficient than a P100D. My 1 year average is 310wh/mi. Morals of the story: temperature, wind, and elevation are killers to range. Large summer tires are also not good. Chill mode makes no difference.