Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've always wanted a Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've wanted to own a Tesla Model S ever since it came out. But they were way over any budget I ever had for buying a car when they were new (still are). So I have never been in a position to buy one, until now. Maybe.

Our current car needs replacement soon, and in the price range I can afford, I see that I could get a 2017-2018 Model S 75D with around 100 000 miles on it. But is it a good choice? Will it last more than just a couple of years? Will I need a ton of money to keep it rolling?

2018 would still have 2yrs for HV/DU warranty
Depending on ur DIY skills it might be a little money or a lot, IF u always take it to Tesla for repair
But overall its a pretty solid car, besides handles. Do get one with MCU2
If range is important get 100d, they're not that much more but better range n faster charge

Reactions: MikkoJ
I've wanted to own a Tesla Model S ever since it came out. But they were way over any budget I ever had for buying a car when they were new (still are). So I have never been in a position to buy one, until now. Maybe.

Our current car needs replacement soon, and in the price range I can afford, I see that I could get a 2017-2018 Model S 75D with around 100 000 miles on it. But is it a good choice? Will it last more than just a couple of years? Will I need a ton of money to keep it rolling?
A Tesla can last a long time but with a cost:

I have a similar vintage car (with much less miles on it - around 70KKm). I have had very little issues so far (mostly cosmetic like DRL replacement, license plate light) all covered under the general warranty but now expired.
From my experience and what I read on this forum I believe that vintage is pretty solid. S75 will still get you decent range (reduced in Norway given the climate, but I am sure the charging network there is up to it), you should inquire about battery degradation. A lot of owners used various apps to log miles and calculate an approximation of the degradation and remaining range (eg Teslamate).
And as already mentioned MCU2 is a must.
Off course buying used is always a gamble and losing the 8y warranty on Drive and Battery in 2 years has me worried as well.

Good luck.

We’ve purchased a 2019 100D new (inventory), 2022 model 3 RWD custom, 2024 model X LR custom, and have driven an older loaner performance model 3 for two weeks and now a model Y 2020 from Enterprise for the past month. We have family members with 3/Y’s and my old neighbor is an an engineer for Tesla’s AP team so I’ve gotten to ride in preproduction vehicles, a P100d X, and a plaid.

Determining whether or not to purchase an older Tesla is a good choice is subjective and depends on what matters the most for you.

When the Y first came out, we were going to purchase the performance for around $62k but decided to hold off since there were a lot of issues with the early VIN’s. We ended up purchasing a new inventory S for $67K including free unlimited supercharging that recently transferred over to our X.

Personally, I prefer the look of the S over the Y and like that it feels a bit more “luxurious” (at least over the 3/Y). The old air suspension is okay but not night and day compared with the 3/Y spring suspension.

That being said, I would not recommend it even if it comes with the MCU 2 upgrade that happened around that time.

Here’s a short list of a few things we had to get replaced or serviced for free when the car was still under it’s new vehicle limited warranty:

Left taillight replacement
Left headlight replacement (1st time)
Right taillight replacement
Right headlight replacement (first time)
Left headlight (2nd time)
Right headlight (2nd time)
Left headlight (3rd time)
Door handles replacement (newer 2020 models have different components less proned to fail)
Wire harness replacement
Screen replacement from yellow banding
I forget the name of the module that needed
to be replaced when the door randomly started to unlock
Half shaft replacement
Clunking noise in the HVAC/dashboard serviced.

In terms of battery degradation, I haven’t charged it to 100 percent in a long time but I think we can still get close to 300 miles on the 100D. Currently there’s about 56K miles on the car. Charging speeds are not great compared to the 2022 3 and 2024 X but not a big deal if you’re charging at home.

I would say it’s not worth it, especially at 100K miles unless you’re not planning on reselling and prepared for the potential high costs to repair expensive hardware. Or if you can bump the budget a little I’d go for a raven for the 1 pedal driving.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I've done most of the maintenance on my cars myself, as long as I have access to information on how to do it. And as long as the stuff needing replacement doesn't require the car to get lifted off the ground.

I have a 2017 Model S 90D with almost 113k miles on it (purchased new).

Hardware purchases:

- MCU upgrade.
- CCS adapter/upgrade.
- one windshield replacement due to rock crack.
- Upper control arms replaced once.
- Brakes lubricated a few times.
- Upgraded key fobs (more secure).

So far, I’ve been pleased with my car. Still drives very well. I plan on keeping it for another 100k miles or more hopefully.

I realise that buying outside of warranty and planning to keep it running for a few years might be risky, and difficult to predict the cost of.

Add to that the fact that for the same kind of money as the Teslas I mentioned above, I can have a 2022 Nissan Leaf 62kwh car, and the choice becomes more a choice between heart (Tesla) and mind (Nissan).

I appreciate all of your feedback, and find it really helpful.

I got the chance to go to a used car dealer that had both an S and a 3 available.

The S was a 2017 75D, and although I really liked the seats and the cargo space, the general build quality was disappointing! And I'm not talking about panel gaps. There was loose panels and a fair bit of rattling and squeaking from the interior and the suspension. And closing the doors and boot lid sounded like barn doors. Maybe it hadn't been treated well by previous owners.

The 3 was a 2019 Performance. And there was a lot to like about that car. First of all, it didn't feel like it was a size smaller than the S. At least not when comparing the interior space. Granted the back seat felt a bit narrower, especially when sitting in the middle seat. But not by much. The sedan boot lid does limit the usability of the boot. But for everyday use it's fine. Driving it was a lot of fun, it felt way more nimble than the S. Reminded me of my old E36 BMW 3-series. And the big touchscreen controlling everything really made it feel like the next generation car. But why not HUD? Anyways, I might always have wanted an S, but the 3 feels really tempting.

So, I went back to the used car dealer for a second time to have a look at the cars again. And, it's such a difficult choice!

The 3 is without any doubt a very good car that I'd probably be extremely satisfied with. But, I wish it was just a tiny bit bigger. I'd hate to end up feeling I'd be better off with the S, because it's got a bigger rear seat seat for the kids, and a bigger boot for all our stuff. And, I really wanted to own an S for so many years.

So I left the car dealer wondering if I would be happier compromising on space and get the more reliable car, or compromising on quality and get the bigger car. And then I stopped by a VW dealer that had an ID.4 on sale for the same kind of money as the 3 and the S...

The ID.4 is the car I should buy, because it can do everything we need a car to do. It's got a big boot, plenty of room in the back seat, nice front seats with arm rests, it can tow a small trailer if needed, and being a VW it probably well made and durable. But it doesn't look like a Tesla, and didn't drive as one.

I'm currently stuck between what I want and what I need! Who knows how this ends.

I realise that buying outside of warranty and planning to keep it running for a few years might be risky, and difficult to predict the cost of.

Add to that the fact that for the same kind of money as the Teslas I mentioned above, I can have a 2022 Nissan Leaf 62kwh car, and the choice becomes more a choice between heart (Tesla) and mind (Nissan).

I appreciate all of your feedback, and find it really helpful.
There is absolutely no comparison between ANY Tesla and ANYTHING labeled Nissan. You would give up a car with over 250 miles range, Supercharging, and an American band made in America? There is simply no reason to consider anything from the Sons of Nippon rather than a Tesla.