Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S or 2018 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across a Model S 2017 75D for 21k (after 4k EV credit). It has 80k miles, FSD, FUSC (SC01 verified), FUPC, MC2, HW3, Uncorked, and good condition. Only issue is it's a buyback title due to MCU parts shortage back in 2019.

Alternatively, I came across a Model 3 2018 LR AWD for 20k (after 4k tax credit). It has 26k miles, FSD, good condition, clean title with one minor accident but repaired.

Between these 2 cars, what would you get and why?

Make sure the current owner on the MS is not intending to transfer the supercharger and FSD to their new car. If it's a private party sale, I'd make sure you get in writing from them that they will not do that. Once you have it transferred from their on-line account to yours you're OK, but as long as it remains in their account they have the ability to transfer those at the moment to a new car. Otherwise, I agree with comments above that you really need to decide on the size factor, as well as the different driving dynamics of the MS versus the M3. MS and Model 3 are fundamentally different cars. Personally, I'm a Model S person, but those are just my preferences based upon my priorities.

Make sure the current owner on the MS is not intending to transfer the supercharger and FSD to their new car. If it's a private party sale, I'd make sure you get in writing from them that they will not do that. Once you have it transferred from their on-line account to yours you're OK, but as long as it remains in their account they have the ability to transfer those at the moment to a new car. Otherwise, I agree with comments above that you really need to decide on the size factor, as well as the different driving dynamics of the MS versus the M3. MS and Model 3 are fundamentally different cars. Personally, I'm a Model S person, but those are just my preferences based upon my priorities.
The owner agreed to transfer the car to my account prior to the transaction. If everything transferred and is in my account, am I good to go? Or is there a possibility FSD/FUSC can be removed after it's in my account? Also when you day to get it in writing, what would be the best way to go by doing that?

The owner agreed to transfer the car to my account prior to the transaction. If everything transferred and is in my account, am I good to go? Or is there a possibility FSD/FUSC can be removed after it's in my account? Also when you day to get it in writing, what would be the best way to go by doing that?
I participated in the FUSC transfer program in Q4 last year. You were required to have the old car in the same ownership account being used to purchase the new car at the time of purchase/delivery. The transfer was actually executed at the when you accepted delivery of the new car, so both cars had to be in owners account at that exact point in time. In my case I had email notification saying the transfer was completed almost immediately, receiving the email notification at the exact same time I received email telling me I had 1 year of premium connectivity.

I've not reviewed the fine print of the FUSC/FSD transfer agreement that's in effect at the moment, but if it's worded like the Q4 program, then once the car is transferred into your owner account, then the prior owner no longer can pull the features from you.

Now when I suggested getting this in writing, I was thinking of having a written purchase agreement with it explictly stating that both features were to remain with the car when it was sold to you. I'd then expect both the seller and yourself to sign and date this document as your formal purchase agreement/receipt of sale. I am not a lawyer, so do not consider that in any way to be formal legal advice on how to execute a purchase contract, but that's what I was suggesting.

Good luck on your purchase decision. I hope you enjoy your future car, whatever you decide is best purchase for you.

I just posted about this in a similar thread. I like the look of the S but I’d choose a 2018 in a heartbeat. We have a 2022 rwd 3, 2019 100D and 2024 X LR all purchased new.

Model 3 pros over 75D:

1 pedal driving
Much more efficient
Better tech and faster computer (screen)
Faster charging (better for road trips)
Better Handling
Cheaper hardware to replace (S headlights are expensive)
feels modern, minimalistic (legacy S is an old man’s car)